1970s CIE model scrap line

Rate this topic

Noel

Three mid 1970s models. This was all that there was in RTR back then, Lime class 33s pretending badly to be CIE A classes and the Hornby Hymek horror not even pretending, just being orange. But we thought they passed the 10ft rule and that they were the bees knees and the cats whiskers back then.

IMG_8218.jpg

This was the only Irish coach I had. Hand painted 52 years ago from eyeball mix of CIE tan.

TriangHornbyCoachRepaint.jpg

Then came 8 of these Lima BR mk1 pretending to be Laminates or something (Bought from W J Owens in Bray). They are worthless junk but I like them for model nostalgia reasons and sentimental memories.

IMG_5419_3.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I though for a moment that Noel had modelled one of the Block Scrap Trains that were such a feature of CIE (Cork) Main Line operations during the 70s.

Scrapwagons7729022024.thumb.jpg.8491b1fbe4196a7850016c790f3c9dbe.jpg

Although some are 'Stenciled"  PWD and B and include a "Half Height" on a 20T Flat the train was used to transport scrap steel to Cobh or processing at then recently refurbished Irish Steel Plant on Haulboline Ireland.  In the same era trains of 'scrap wagons" (often cars and appliances) were stored in the Yard at Kilbarry north of the Tunnel apparently waiting to be tripped to Cobh for unloading.

Noel row of locos reminds me a bit of the Inchacore Sound Barrier or more closely the long row of out of service locos 'used in a similar manner at Toton in the Midlands possibly including some 33s. 

Looking back its difficult to imagine why the British Outline rtr modeller tolerated the single power bogie power drive for so long, Minitrix used properly engineered chassis with a centrally mounted motor driving both power bogies from at least the late 60s, Roco and Atlas followed suit in N scale during the 70-80 and Kato pioneered the twin flywheel drive with low friction bogies in N Gauge during the late 80s. Paddy Murphy apparently considered the option of twin bogie drive in commissioning his first 201 from Lima, but opted for the then standard single pancake drive based on the belief that Irish modellers were not prepared to pay the additional cost. 

I never got round to a Murphy Models Class 33 repaint, though I sampled the Lima HO version which with the body raised with plasticard skirts was about the right length and shape for a C Class, the C Class did not last to long I used the HO Class 33 chassis to power a plasticard B121 and a Deltic (HO or possibly hybrid scale) to power a plasticard A Class. Bogies were about right length but less said about either body.

Returned to 4mm Irish Diesel modelling in the 90s using MIR Cast Metal Bodies on Athearn rtr Chassis or Atherarn drive on my own chassis to get something running quickly on the MRSI Loughrea layout, I have a collection of modern IRM/MM sound equipped diesels (OO & 21mm) but seldom if ever run them. Lot to be said for the old Lima and Athearn powered locos  plenty of enjoyment in both modifying and running them that I don't get from something out of the box.

Noel the old Triang Caley coach is worth keeping and collecting (if you find some more )reasonably close in outline to some GSWR Rosslare stock than ran in the Black and Tan scheme, the Lima MK 1 is probably worth re-skinning or re-building into a BR Van until someone releases a decent rtr model, at least the underframe, bogie and roof are usable.

• Like 3

On 26/2/2024 at 10:09 PM, Noel said:

Three mid 1970s models. This was all that there was in RTR back then, Lime class 33s pretending badly to be CIE A classes and the Hornby Hymek horror not even pretending, just being orange. But we thought they passed the 10ft rule and that they were the bees knees and the cats whiskers back then.

IMG_8218.jpg

This was the only Irish coach I had. Hand painted 52 years ago from eyeball mix of CIE tan.

TriangHornbyCoachRepaint.jpg

Then came 8 of these Lima BR mk1 pretending to be Laminates or something (Bought from W J Owens in Bray). They are worthless junk but I like them for model nostalgia reasons and sentimental memories.

IMG_5419_3.jpg

Noel, any chance of a clearer look at the class 37 in the first photo? Just peeping in at the right hand side. I wonder if it is the same Hornby model I got in the late 70s? Thanks.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, derek said:

Noel, any chance of a clearer look at the class 37 in the first photo? Just peeping in at the right hand side. I wonder if it is the same Hornby model I got in the late 70s? Thanks.......

Wow well spotted clouseau. :)  I'll try and take a photo of it tomorrow. It was a trip-ang Hornby model that came with a train set of 3 mk2c coaches around 1974. The wheels won't run on Peco track so deep are the flanges. I've kept it for sentimental reasons

• Like 2

Pairs of old diecast Triang/Hornby 6 wheel diesel bogie was Mike Coles (Q Kits fame) mainstay for his Class 4 Diesels on his OO Gauge outdoor Sundown and Sprawling one of the 1st "Modern Image" layout during the late 60s/70s. Locos featured scratchbuilt metal bodies included the Prototype Type 4 diesels and a Hoover possibly used as masters for his one piece Q Kit resin bodies when the Triang Brush Tyoe 2, English Electric Type 3, Diesle Shunter were the main reasonably priced British outline diesel locos available.

Went through a short phase of 'Modern Image BR modelling inspired by Monty Wells series of articles in the late 7o/80 but never built a layout, had a green Hornby 29 and a second hand 37 with the original power bogie 'superdetailed' with Craftsman split headcode boxes and nose doors possibly full yellow noses West Highland style not sure about the Scottie dog emblem, sold to concentrate on 21mm Irish steam era very slow progress over 40 years helped keep me out of the pub (every night)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Noel said:

Wow well spotted clouseau. :)  I'll try and take a photo of it tomorrow. It was a trip-ang Hornby model that came with a train set of 3 mk2c coaches around 1974. The wheels won't run on Peco track so deep are the flanges. I've kept it for sentimental reasons

Thanks Noel. Same reason I keep mine.

11 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Iconic loco. Fairly reliable for the era, as it could pick up over a longer footprint than the typical trainset 0-6-0. And you didn’t need DCC sound - growled away naturally! 

Yeah, mine growls too. But it ran straight out of the box after being stored for over 30 years

17 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Always loads of 8H22's on eBay, dirt cheap:

https://www.ebay.es/itm/404814478647

Might be dirt cheap Dave, but mine is priceless to me😎

Edited by derek
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 28/2/2024 at 8:11 PM, derek said:

Here's the request photo Derek.  It was my first diesel model (ie Tri-Ang) train set with the then ultra modern Mk2 BR blue and grey livery coaches with the silent soft plastic tension lock couplings and metal wheel rims on the coaches. Sadly it cannot run over Peco points even older code 100. unless i found a way to change the wheels. I spend more hours playing trains with that loco in my youth.

IMG_0846.thumb.jpeg.b3650ff667b60e2018644a5ddea24458.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Here's the request photo Derek.  It was my first diesel model (ie Tri-Ang) train set with the then ultra modern Mk2 BR blue and grey livery coaches with the silent soft plastic tension lock couplings and metal wheel rims on the coaches. Sadly it cannot run over Peco points even older code 100. unless i found a way to change the wheels. I spend more hours playing trains with that loco in my youth.

IMG_0846.thumb.jpeg.b3650ff667b60e2018644a5ddea24458.jpeg

Thanks Noel. Yes, it is indeed the same as my one. Mine came as part of an Intercity set, with three carriages. Something very impressive about that loco. Getting it as a kid around 1977 was a pure delight

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Newtoncork said:

Is that a Thomas in the background? We have a Thomas for the kids. The youngest ran it so fast that I had to buy a complete new set of wheels/cogs! 

There’s two. One electric and one clockwork.