Urgent Help Needed with IRM Catzilla DCC Settings

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

IRM sent me an engineering sample of their forthcoming Catzilla release.

Seems to work pretty well out of the box but I can't get the volume any lower.

What CV settings should I try?

Image attached for reference purposes.

2024-07-20 22.08.36.jpg

Would the cat be named "Pandora" by any chance?

• Funny 1

40 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Although, before ordering one of these for yourself, I feel obliged to caution you that vital maintenance is not always easy to perform:

IMG_3958.jpeg

IMG_3959.jpeg

I think I'd get a new, less enthusiastic girl friend....

• Funny 2

Rat.thumb.jpg.eb05fcba3482fa3f7586c14765fd4e23.jpg

One of our guys earned his keep today, though not convinced it was Topaz who seems to be posing for his Facebook Profile picture.

Not the brightest of rats we have a family of 4 rescue/stray cats who operate like a mafia 'family' a Boss (tabby)who spends most of his time sleeping, a Consigliere (Grey Burmese cross) the "brains' that organises things and patrols the neighbourhood, a respectful "Foot Soldier (possible silent assassin) (Black Burmese cross 1/2 brother of Consigliere  and Topaz the young punk that occasionally challenges the Consigliere, but not the Boss.

It all started out when we adapted the tabby from an animal rescue, the other 3 members of the gang showed up as strays over two-three years and were gradually adapted into the gang. 

• Like 5

'Mine' left me two shrews for my breakfast a few weeks ago.

DSC_0487-1.thumb.JPG.796eb2db79624a8e3052723ac8d1d627.JPG

I was going to admonish her over this, as I would generally see shrews as not a great problem. They're not given to invading houses or causing 'us' much trouble.

However, I was fortunate enough to look into the matter before I embarrassed myself and found that these shrews are of an invasive species, first seen in Ireland in 2005 and have been causing the native pygmy shrews some issues.

So, I managed to avoid making myself look even more of an idiot in the cat's eyes...

Next-door have gone away for ten days and I just came back from Lidl to find her sitting on the doorstep with a bag of food...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, spudfan said:

We have pygmy shrews living around. Only time you see them is when they die!

These were the white-toothed ones, first seen in Wexford twenty years ago - probably not reached you yet.

And 'my' cat is doing her best to slow down the advancement of the front.

5 hours ago, Broithe said:

'Mine' left me two shrews for my breakfast a few weeks ago.

DSC_0487-1.thumb.JPG.796eb2db79624a8e3052723ac8d1d627.JPG

I was going to admonish her over this, as I would generally see shrews as not a great problem. They're not given to invading houses or causing 'us' much trouble.

However, I was fortunate enough to look into the matter before I embarrassed myself and found that these shrews are of an invasive species, first seen in Ireland in 2005 and have been causing the native pygmy shrews some issues.

So, I managed to avoid making myself look even more of an idiot in the cat's eyes...

Next-door have gone away for ten days and I just came back from Lidl to find her sitting on the doorstep with a bag of food...

Well, don't leave us in suspense!

How did you cook them and were they (as) nice (as usual)?

11 hours ago, WaYSidE said:

sorry, I seem to be on the wrong page, I was looking for railway roadkill recipes, surly you dont eat cats?

Buddy, when it comes to coherence, you're permanently on the wrong page.

9 hours ago, spudfan said:

I would hazard a guess that you do not see many slugs....

I think that cockroackes would be our equivalent of slugs, and damn, those hedgehogs are savage little hunters. And, they're fast. Saw one of them relentlessly hunting down a cockroach in the daylight before. Talk about maniacal focus and sheer determination. It was like something from the Terminator, only small and cute. That garden in the photo is the only garden area I've ever seen here with no cockroaches.

The introduced Gisborne cockroach Drymaplaneta semivitta is harmless and prefers to live outside. Image Bruce McQuillan

The native "Bush Cockroach" a that occasionally wander inside are not considered to be a pest in this part of the World, but so far no one has been able to explain that to the cats who hunt them down to the state that I have seldom seen one in the house dead or alive in recent years.

Though funnily enough the hedgehog (an introduced species in Aotearoa (NZ) is classed as a pest as they are very good at hunting down and eating native wild life.

The other half discovered that there was a 'mouse problem" in the old family home in the States when she began caring for her father last year and adapted "James the cat" who after he spent 6 months at the local animal shelter. 

James did an excellent job hunting down and eating 28 mice during the first 4 weeks since his adaption, and has now become a pampered house cat and much loved member of the family both in the States and Aotearoa. The challenging bit will be whether to find a new home for James in the States or to integrate him into the family (including spending 6 weeks in quarantine) with 4 other cats after my father in law moves into a care home in the States during the next 12 months.

Edited by Mayner
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

20 minutes ago, Mayner said:

The introduced Gisborne cockroach Drymaplaneta semivitta is harmless and prefers to live outside. Image Bruce McQuillan

The native "Bush Cockroach" a that occasionally wander inside are not considered to be a pest in this part of the World, but so far no one has been able to explain that to the cats who hunt them down to the state that I have seldom seen one in the house dead or alive in recent years.

Though funnily enough the hedgehog (an introduced species in Aotearoa (NZ) is classed as a pest as they are very good at hunting down and eating native wild life.

The other half discovered that there was a 'mouse problem" in the old family home in the States when she began caring for her father last year and adapted "James the cat" who after he spent 6 months at the local animal shelter. 

James did an excellent job hunting down and eating 28 mice during the first 4 weeks since his adaption, and has now become a pampered house cat and much loved member of the family both in the States and Aotearoa. The challenging bit will be whether to find a new home for James in the States or to integrate him into the family (including spending 6 weeks in quarantine) with 4 other cats after my father in law moves into a care home in the States during the next 12 months.

That's an interesting looking cockroach.

If I had to guess, the four types that I see here are American, Australian, Turkestan, and Florida Woods.

Probably due to the local climate, none of them are really "indoor" types, butall are considered pests.

Also interesting on the hedgehogs. There are native hedgehogs here, protected by law, and invasive hedgehogs, deemed a pest by law, but I've never met anybody who knows the difference.

The combination of cats (once they're controlled via TNR) and hedgehogs is a very effective and environmentally friendly way of controlling the rodent and cockroach populations.

Basing that on my own experience, not on any scientific studies.

As far as as snails go, I hardly ever see a live one, despite having the perfect conditions for them. I do have a pair of thrushes who live over the road, but spend their days ambling round in here, chewing.

DSC_0343.thumb.JPG.0162d739c8126521bc7e4c04d55cee7f.JPG

They do leave me piles of broken shells, but I can live with that.

I have considered lending them a better anvil, but I don't like to interfere.

DSC_0357.thumb.JPG.de3e317a9b6ea8358828213c35de8420.JPG

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

How do they carry the anvil?

They just pull it around, using the slime from the snails as a lubricant, I imagine.

I don't interfere, they seem to know what they're doing.

I believe that thrushes are genetically related to roadrunners and have an innate ability to cope with anvils.

• Funny 2

12 minutes ago, spudfan said:

So long as they do not start carrying the anvil and dropping it on the snails..

They do drop snails off the roofs of the house and the shed, when they can be bothered to actually fly. Mostly, they just stroll around.

Occasionally, when they have a few spare hours, they spend half a day standing on the pole behind the shed, shouting.

DSCN8036.thumb.JPG.45337938cd87fab81ebb1671aadcff93.JPG

I have written to the council, but they don't seem keen on enforcing better behaviour.

• Funny 1

By the time someone climbs up the pole with cease and desist order, the offending avian will have moved to another pole. The law being what it is, it would require a new order specific to the new location. Your thrushes probably sing with a different accent to our thrushes.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...