North Wall Container terminal

Rate this topic

201bhoy

Some good photos of the revised layout on the Eiretrains Site http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20N/North%20Wall/slides/NorthWall_20100226_037_CC_JA.html

The re-modelled yard was mainly used for marshalling trains, engineers traffic and wagon storage, I dont think containers was handled at East Wall after traffic was transferred to the Holyhead and Midland yards in the late 70s.

Thanks Mayner' date=' but it's where the train goes after going down Alexandra Road that I'm interested in. Google Earth hasn't updated and there just aren't many pictures around.[/quote']

Hi Vincent,

That area that your interested in is owned by Dublin Port and was only opened early last year,

It is difficult to get into that area as permission has to be given first by the port authority and I'm told that the harbour police do not take trespassers likely with immediate removal and prosecution if necessary,

Check out the wanderers photo site as he was given permission to photograph a liner train in the port last year.

Hi Vincent,

That area that your interested in is owned by Dublin Port and was only opened early last year,

It is difficult to get into that area as permission has to be given first by the port authority and I'm told that the harbour police do not take trespassers likely with immediate removal and prosecution if necessary,

Check out the wanderers photo site as he was given permission to photograph a liner train in the port last year.

Yeah I thought it might have been something like that. Thanks for the info, and I'll do that!

Jacobs International Drawing showing connection into the Container Terminal as an extension of the Tara Mines siding but will give you a general idea of the set up of that area of the port http://www.dublinport.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/MP_Travel_and_Transport_Links.pdf

Besides containers and bulk cargo Cruise Ships also call at Alexandra Basin

Edited by Mayner

I take it the spur is the purple line curving down and then back across to the right? I didn't realise it was an extension of the Tara mines branch! Thought it went on down Alexandra road. Thanks very much for the info!

The liners used to be loaded at the very end of Alexandra Road at Ocean pier. The first sets of 22000 ICRs were off loaded and railed there in 2007. The IWT got the new extension built next to the Tara mines traverser recently, the IWT trains do not use the two roads into the Tara off load point, there is another track just next to it.

Before that extension was built two locos were needed to load and unload the liners at Ocean pier as there was no run around point and sometimes the liners had to be split in two.

love the wanaderers pics here...http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/Official-Events/2012/IEs-new-22000-Class-DMUs-2011/17289482_CKT2XN/1423638184_j8x5WBM#!i=2038827038&k=ZHNp9xr. page 7

DSC_1389-Ti.jpg an unusual pic of 083 with a red buffer..cant get the pic any bigger - a great pic though!

Edited by heirflick