Railway Heritage Tour.

Rate this topic

Broithe

I think the writer should apply to tourism Ireland for a job!

Interesting the gathering in Ireland from a railway perspective involves this rubbish from IE and importing the oldest narrow gauge loco in the world, we mustn't have any heritage loco's in Ireland worth gathering in one location to showcase our history. Mean while across the water they're going all out for the great gathering as part of the mallard 75 celebrations.

I think it's time for all modellers to show case their own gatherings on their lay outs!

How much did it cost to bring princess over from wales?

I think IE could stick to their own heritage.........like 6111 the last remaining example of the first generation mainline railcars in Ireland now lying awaiting possible scrapping at inchicore.

Imagine if lady edith could have come home instead....that would be a gathering.........but princess' connection to Ireland is lose at best!

Edited by Garfield
Defamatory content.

Surely something from the actual Irish preserved stock would have been more relevant, or am I missing this whole 'gathering' point?

I think the idea might have been to have something from a place where emigrants went to - there was a large Irish input into the Ffestiniog construction - and quite a bit of the slate output went to Ireland..

Surely something from the actual Irish preserved stock would have been more relevant, or am I missing this whole 'gathering' point?

Princess is in Dublin as a FR marketing exercise, she has already been on tour in the UK and was on display a Paddington Station and possibly the NRM.

I think the idea might have been to have something from a place where emigrants went to - there was a large Irish input into the Ffestiniog construction - and quite a bit of the slate output went to Ireland..

but that's not that historic in the grand scheme of things.....it was in London as it was built there 150 years ago and for the 150 anniversary of the underground metropolitan railway

but if 6111 is going to be scrapped what does that say about is and our heritage?

Says it all really, while I understand its not IE's job to do heritage the gathering is a one off initiative and we have a few examples of steam and diesel we could have had on display in Connolly along with coaches etc. The RPSI could have run shuttles during the day to make it a real family day.

we have a few examples of steam and diesel we could have had on display in Connolly along with coaches etc. The RPSI could have run shuttles during the day to make it a real family day.

You should have organised it all then - dont forget the funding and where to put the exhibits - given all 7 platforms are in regular usage.......

Says it all really, while I understand its not IE's job to do heritage the gathering is a one off initiative and we have a few examples of steam and diesel we could have had on display in Connolly along with coaches etc. The RPSI could have run shuttles during the day to make it a real family day.

IE has a Heritage Officer on a six figure salary, whats his job?

It may be of interest that certain enquiries are being made from within the broad preservation movement with regard to 6111 right now. Now, don't get excited; funding, current manpower and hard practicalities will dictate whether anything comes of these enquiries or not. But at least somebody's trying.

It may be of interest that certain enquiries are being made from within the broad preservation movement with regard to 6111 right now. Now, don't get excited; funding, current manpower and hard practicalities will dictate whether anything comes of these enquiries or not. But at least somebody's trying.

Good news....all that is needed is to store it somewhere safe ;) ...not necessarily restoration, in the context of the transport of 6111 surely its small money in the context of IE's budget?

IE are obliged to seek suitable prices for all they dispose of now. As far as 6111 is concerned, I would estimate thatb a low loader taking it to Whitehead, Downpatrick, Moyasta, or anywhere else, would cost some €5000; this does not include costs involved in making it secure. Should its size make it necessary to bring over al Allelly's or Moveright lorry from the UK, you could be looking at up to €10,000.

Usually, when one of those lorries comes over, it's £5000 stg to get it here and back on the boat, plus so much per lift while here. Thus, DCDR, RPSI, ITG, NIR & IE tend to liase when any one of them is bringing them over so that all that moves can be done together, thus cutting costs.

Some items of railwa rolling stock can be dealt with by firms based here, but the larger ones usually need one of these juggernauts.

On one occasion, the DCDR was receiving things on wheels from both Whitehead and Inchicore, and also sending away a loco to go to Whitehead for repair. All those moves - five items in and one out, were tagged onto a move of a 201 to Glasgow and certain RPSI movements as well. As a result, the Downpatrick share of that particular bill was £5200, whereas I had reckoned that had DCDR got them over on their own, the bill would have been £11 - £12,000.

Back to 6111: as I say, don't get excited, folks; on a previous occasion it was investigated also (and possibly on another occasion) by two different bodies. Both organisations, and all concerned, and all here, will agree it is very worthy of preservation, but transferring such a wish into cold hard fact, after taking all relevant circumstances into account, is sometimes not as simple as it looks. If it were, the thing would have been preserved long ago.....

Let's live in hope!

well at least there may be something happening.....if it were to be scrapped.......people will say why didn't they save it....do we really want that title?

Me thinks it would look good in the Downpatrick gallery ;)

There is an irish heavy haulage company GKT haulage which recently transported a 201 class from Connolly to inchicore and a 22000 unit to Glasgow!!