Suitable models for coversion to CIE

Rate this topic

richrua

Crikey rich, that's a tall order. 90% or more of stock has to be bashed or scratched but when you say CIE, is that a particular timeframe, the applegreen flying snail era, the black and tan era, supertrain of the 80's or the later periods of IR and IE?

The simplest answer is that mark 2 and mark 3 coaches by lima, hornby, and bachmann can be resprayed and a few decals added, and bob's yer uncle. Earlier park royals and laminates have to be kit built from brass etches, not an easy convert as the coaches wwre significantly wider than Uk types, 9'6" for laminates and up to 10' wide for park royals.

Modern MK4's are generally made up by filling in a few windows and respraying UK MK 4s, but the DVT is a sculpting exercise.

Recent freight is a bit of a nightmare, and there are few wagons available to quickly repaint. Some of the lads have converted hornby flat wagons to timber wagons which look great.

Get a hold of stephen johnsons book on modelling irish railways, it has loads of info on converting Uk stock to suit.

Richie.

Hi Rich

there are various suggestions in some archived issues of 'Irish Lines'; admittedly, while Model Irish Railways was still in business, this was before the likes of Provincial Wagons, Murphy's Models et al came onto the scene: http://newirishlines.org/archive-2/

For example, issue 5 has a piece by Steve Johnston on making a D310 class 0-6-0 diesel from a Lima BR Class 08, and an article by Jim Maguire on 'Kits and RTR adaptions for Irish railways'. issue 6 has a piece on converting RTR carriages by Steve Johnson, including making a Park Royal from a Hornby Stanier.

There is also, as Glenderg mentioned, a lot of useful information on RTR adaptions (for coaches in particular, but also some on goods stock) and some inspirational pics of such things, in 'Modelling Irish Railways' by Steve Johnson and Alan O'Rourke:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modelling-Irish-Railways-Stephen-Johnson/dp/1857801857

PS the pics at the bottom of this page give some idea of what was, and could still be, achieved by simply repainting readily-available 9now second hand) BR RTR diesels (tho the Hymek would have looked better in maroon or light blue as an NIR Hunslet with some cosmetic cab-front modifications, and if you're going to repaint a Lima Class 33, you might as well at least sand down the cab roof cowling and replace the two front window pillars with a wider, single central one):

http://www.mywebsitespace.co.uk/Irish_Rail.html

Edited by 33lima

• 1 month later...

Many modellers have started off by using BR Mk 1 stock reprinted in either post 1955 lighter green or black'n'tan. They don't resemble laminates, which they are meant to represent, in any way, but do look the part. Similarly, BR full parcels brake of same era can approximate to a BR Genny Van.

Various BR or LMS 2-6-4T locos can approximate to an NCC / UTA "Jeep".

Wagons from the BR loose coupled era often will do as CIE or UTA wagons of the same period. Make sure UTA ones are weathered within an inch of their lives, and both they and CIE ones will have the chassis same as body colour - not black chassis which was very much a BR thing.

Others here will point out steam locos which will suffice. The LMS "Jinty" 0-6-0T is suitable for a Belfast based layout, as the NCC acquired two and regauged them.

Hope this is of assistance.

....Various BR or LMS 2-6-4T locos can approximate to an NCC / UTA "Jeep".

The "Jeep" could also lend itself to a "hybrid" project - Hornby Fowler 2-6-4T boiler and chassis, Bachmann "Fairburn" tanks, footplate and possibly the bunker, Hornby Black 5 driving wheels.

The LMS "Jinty" 0-6-0T is suitable for a Belfast based layout, as the NCC acquired two and regauged them....

Interestingly, the regauging was apparently done by whipping off the driving wheels, removing the tyres, turning the centres and crankpins around, then putting the tyres back on. This was sufficient to fit on the 5ft 3in and the frames and motion were not touched in any way!

Hi Guys, the modelling has had to take a back sat the last couple of days and this will probably be the case for a few days to come unless I can squeeze in some time .Anyway I've been studying all the pics I can find of the CIE J5 0-6-0s. I intend to do 2 of these out of the airfix 4f. ,What I notice about this class is that there was quite a variety of running plate formats. Pictures of locos 634 and 635 show straight running plates but with the hollow type bumps adjacent to the wheel splashers. From what I've seen these variants would be the easiest to model as no cutting and reshaping of the airfix running plates would be required. The hollow humps could be done in plasticard on an overlay and glued to the airfix running plate. Othr members of the class had higher than buffer beam sideplates curved to buffer level at front and back and I even see one with the running plate higher curved down to buffer beam level at the front but straight all the way under the cab and all the way to the rear with no dip. Other than that only a cab rebuild is necessary and a tender top from a Hornby B12 looks about right. to get this to fit the airfix motorised tender will require reducing the metal traction weights so a bit of hack saw work's required but the finished article shoud look the part. On the smugmug CIE steam gallery 634 is shown sporting a larger longer tender but 634 has a tender similar to the B12. Anyway, hopefully I'll get on the case shortly.

Edited by Scots Mac

• 4 months later...

Steam Engines - a Woolwich can be created easily from an English Southern N Class. Twenty-seven of these locomotives were bought from Woolwich Arsenal by the MGWR, and GSR, They were withdrawn in the years up to 1963, if my memory serves me correctly! They can be coloured, Green, Black and one in cherry black.

Timber Wagons - Piko manufacture a bogie Timber Wagon that will give a good representation of the CIE/IE timbers in use at present. The SNCF version is probably the best suited.

Yes, heirflick. The very first one was completely assembled immediately before the MGWR became part of the GSR. It was turned out in fully lined current MGWR livery (lined black 1918-25), but renumbered twice, no less, and painted all over grey before it turned a wheel in traffic. All were grey - like everything else - until about 1950, when they were one of the classes chosen for lined CIE green as on 800 now. The few that got unlined black, and the one unique lined black one came later. I have a note of exact details somewhere but if memory serves correctly this was mid 50s.

Not that many CIE locos received black - most remained (filthy) grey until the end.

Yes, heirflick. The very first one was completely assembled immediately before the MGWR became part of the GSR. It was turned out in fully lined current MGWR livery (lined black 1918-25), but renumbered twice, no less, and painted all over grey before it turned a wheel in traffic. All were grey - like everything else - until about 1950, when they were one of the classes chosen for lined CIE green as on 800 now. The few that got unlined black, and the one unique lined black one came later. I have a note of exact details somewhere but if memory serves correctly this was mid 50s.

Not that many CIE locos received black - most remained (filthy) grey until the end.

J, forgot to ask about about numbers and logos - what type and colour?