Some of my British Steam Loco's

Rate this topic

During my absence my main interest has tilted towards British steam, mostly LNER.

Here are a few of my collection that I have built up since lsat summer.

Pride of place is my most recent purchse:

LNER 4483 Kinfisher in LNER Garter Blue as part of the Flying Scotsman train pack

IMG_1998_zpsd1c53d0e.jpg

NRM LNER 4472 Flying Scotsman in apple green

IMG_1997_zpsc23c58f7.jpg

I'm trying t turn this into 1930's condition so smoke deflectors removed and warning flashes will also be removed. If anyone knows of any websites that go into the detail of loco's at different times I'd appreciate knowing.

Hornby LNER A4 Silver link in sliver livery

IMG_1996_zps508e7d73.jpg

Hornby Britannia 'Clive of India'

IMG_1995_zps35ceddb4.jpg

Bachmann Tornado

IMG_1994_zps72adb960.jpg

Hornby West Country 'Bude' as on the 1948 railway trials, which I have weathered, yet to be given a coat of matt varnish

IMG_1999_zps59e01ace.jpg

I also have a Hornby Rebuilt west country and old Margate built A1 in the works for repairs and repainting

Everyting but the two A4's have been given a coat of Gloss varnish though I think I''l just keep it on the BR loco's

In the near future I intend to fit my steam loco's with screw link couplings

Brian

Edited by BabyGM

Thanks for all the comments lads, Anthony your absolutely right between the linkage and the beauty of them its great.

I have a bit of a soft spot for the Q1 aswell I think its just how they made such a good engine with the idea of cutting corners in cost material and maintenance

Has anyone thought about Hornby's new TTS sound. I'm thinking of a sound P2 and perhaps railroad A4 which is probably less than some other decoders at £100

Nice collection Brian. If you want to switch Scotsman back to 1930's condition she'll need a single chimney and I know the dome was different to the banjo dome later in life (just not sure when). Then again if you're happy then happy days.

There are a couple of good threads on rmweb that will help and then there's an LNER forum. I'm away at the moment so I'll post them for you tomorrow.

Cheers Fran

I've had a good look at a few threads on RMweb one by a guy called mick was especially good.

I might get myself a railroad scotsman as a better starting point for improvement so I don't wreck the NRM one

I'll have a look at the LNER forum

Cheers Fran I've had a good look at a few threads on RMweb one by a guy called mick was especially good. I might get myself a railroad scotsman as a better starting point for improvement so I don't wreck the NRM one I'll have a look at the LNER forum

Yep Micks was the one I was thinking of. The NRM Scotsman is sought after I believe, might be better off moving it on. I'm pretty sure the real one currently has an A4 boiler (sans streamlining, of course) and I think Hornby have modelled that too (the A4 boiler is smaller) but again I'm not sure when that took place. I have two A3s including your version of Scotsman, gorgeous runners. The railroad ones are good value and nice for the money. Great starting point for detailing.

Yep Micks was the one I was thinking of. The NRM Scotsman is sought after I believe, might be better off moving it on. I'm pretty sure the real one currently has an A4 boiler (sans streamlining, of course) and I think Hornby have modelled that too (the A4 boiler is smaller) but again I'm not sure when that took place. I have two A3s including your version of Scotsman, gorgeous runners. The railroad ones are good value and nice for the money. Great starting point for detailing.

Thats some interesting info I never knew the scotsman had an A4 boiler, I also have another A1 that I got cheap that I'm repainting into wartime black. I never knew the NRM scotsmans were rare, thoiugh I think Hornby are re-releasing them soon. Hopefully once I get a bit of money I'll get a railroad one to give a bit of detail, trying a few gresley teaks is also in my mind

Lovely collection, I really like the silver A4. I'm after one myself and a nice black 9F. How's your layout coming along?

Thanks Dave, I like the silver A4 aswell, I think hornby are releasing one as part of a silver jubilee pack soon, the layout is currently stacked up against a wall. It was progressing nicely untill I realised the trackwork wasn't up to scratch so now its just a bare baseboard

Thats some interesting info I never knew the scotsman had an A4 boiler, I also have another A1 that I got cheap that I'm repainting into wartime black. I never knew the NRM scotsmans were rare, thoiugh I think Hornby are re-releasing them soon. Hopefully once I get a bit of money I'll get a railroad one to give a bit of detail, trying a few gresley teaks is also in my mind

Another site worth viewing http://50aworks.wordpress.com/ Tom also posts on the Modellers United forum with a nice workbench thread but they're moving servers at the moment so might not be fully accessible for a few days.

Scotsman got the banjo dome in 1947, so right at the very end of LNER. Deflectors in 1960 and the double blastpipe in the 50s. She's going back to an A3 boiler during this latest overhaul but she has been on an A4 boiler for a long time and I'm pretty sure Hornby modelled her that way for the NRM edition.

LNER forum http://www.lner.info/

Although he models the Eastern Region in BR days Tony Wright from BRM knows a hell of a lot about LNER steam. Worth looking at his thread on RMWeb too (even if just for the gorgeous layout and models) http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64295-wright-writes/

Then there's Grantham which is 1930s LNER http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58826-grantham-the-streamliner-years/ and Peterborough North (again BR days, but might be of interest http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/18451-peterborough-north/)

A4Mallard and I keep saying we should have a gathering of our A4s on his layout sometime, I have four and he has many, many more! I like the BR days of the former LNER and the LMS (moreso) and mixing them with Standards and diesels. I do have a Q1 too, irresistible bargain from Grahams, lovely model and in my defence could be found on cross city freights on the North London line. Can't explain the Merchant Navy mind you.... :S

Anyway, hope that's of help! Plenty of interesting reading.

Wow thats a great collection of websites ,thanks for posting them. There goes the rest of my day

No problem Brian, I always find the research to be a lot of fun. There's some great photos on the likes of flickr too to use as a reference point for any model you're working on. Stumbled across a couple of fantastic photos of Hush Hush last night in original form. Now there's a loco I'd love a model of. Have the P2 on order too mind as she's just too pretty to be without and a Hattons Garratt should be in here way to me soon.