NIR Rolling Stock

Rate this question

Kirley

Question

One of my favourite reference books is, "35 Years of NIR" by Jonathan Allen.

In the Appendix: Rolling Stock, it lists all from 1967 to 2002. The last Sub-Heading in this Appendix is , "OCV Stock introduced 1972-74" and lists:

1. Four-wheel flat wagons (converted from NCC Parcel Vans) and used to carry cross-channel Red Star parcel containers from Larne Port to Belfast.

2. Bogie flat wagons (converted from NCC passenger coaches) and also and used to carry cross-channel Red Star parcel containers from Larne Port to Belfast.

My questions are,

What does OCV stand for?

Besides PW wagons did NIR use any other wagons (leaving aside the CIE/IR cross border Freight Traffic)?

NUMBER SERIES: 24224-24240 VEHICLE TYPE: Rail truck

BUILDERS: CIE WEIGHT: 20 tons 10 cwt

COUPLING: Instanter

INTRODUCED: 1973

LENGTH: 62 ' 0" (edit - 62'9" according to drawings)

CAPACITY: 41 tons

BRAKES: Hand/ Vacuum

I've googled in the past for "Double Bogie Perway Rail Layer" and variations of that, and come up with these photos. No copyright infringement intended.

It appears there are two wagons dedicated to this role - the others in the series appear to be pencilled in as Sleeper Relaying Gantry Train, the Long Welded Rail train (new steels), and the Permanent Way Steel Train (Old steels) - I could be wrong though. Hope these are of some assistance. Richie.

152_on_rail_train_at_Cherryville_Jcn_180806_5.jpg

163__8_.jpg

163__15_.jpg

163-L.jpg

737240_10151995707980933_1933986829952159643_o.jpg

10259068_10151995719605933_6653921377093789702_o.jpg

10338677_10151995713555933_5877247108847382509_o.jpg

ir7.jpg

NIR-111-Bangor.jpg

Permament_Way_Rail_Layer.jpg

I'd imagine they're loaned K?

That would explain it Richie. Great photographs, there seems to be two types, some with the traversing cranes in the middle of the wagon and the others, like the 3 at Adelaide, with cranes at the side of the wagons.

I only have Doyle & Hirsch 2nd Edition, and it shows the 24224-40 Rail Trucks without cranes. Maybe they were a later addition. In 'Traction & Travel' 4th Edition they list under Departmental Stock, 5 Flat Wagons No's 654A-658A but no description, another type of bogie flat?

Thanks also to GM 171 kk, great Time and Motion video.

In 'Traction & Travel' 4th Edition they list under Departmental Stock, 5 Flat Wagons No's 654A-658A but no description, another type of bogie flat?

Were these not the flats created from converted Park Royal underframes? All now withdrawn I think, if not also scrapped.

"Five Park Royal Coaches - 1385, 1394, 1395,1399 and 1407 were converted to flat wagons 654A to 658A at Inchicore Works in November 1992, the order of conversion was not recorded" - there should be photos about of these. Usual location is listed as Portlaoise in ITG First Edition.

Had a quick scan through some slides I have here, and this is all I have found so far. They look like GNR chassis/bogie combos with NR branded on the solebar of the 4 wheeler up front? Will have a deeper trawl later....PIMP

Track flats.jpg

Kieran, the 24224-40 series rail trucks were indeed originally introduced without cranes. Doyle & Hirsch (1st ed) shows one of these wagons without the crane (p 74). However by the time D&H (2nd ed) was produced in 1981 the cranes had been fitted - the photo at the top of p 75 shows 24240 with cranes. The photo is a bit dark but the two cranes can just be made out.

The wagons in Glenderg's photo above indeed look like conversions from coaching stock. NIR had three container wagons, 610-12, which were converted from ex-LMS NCC carriages, so it could be that they also converted withdrawn coaching stock for PWD use.

looks like shes a CIE 4 wheel 20 footer - CIE nane plate above the break handle

It is indeed. The wagon No. is 25518 and it comes from the series 25436 - 25983. Introduced in 1966, these wagons had a 12' 0" wheelbase, weighed 8 tons and had a carrying capacity of 20 tons. They had instanter couplings, hand and vacuum brakes and were fitted with steel floors.

Continuing my hunt for all NIR Rolling Stock came across these rail wagons.

Railbogiewagons2.jpg

Has anyone any information on them, are they converted coach under frames, or bought it by NIR, how many do they have?

Hopefully someone can provide the answers.

Sorry Kieran,but I missed this thread from last week.Not sure about what is running on NIR these days and whether the above photo is a modern equivalent,but back in 1980,NIR bought 6 new 50 ton,65ft long rail carrying wagons with 2 cantilever cranes on each wagon.They also had 6 rail carrying wagons without cranes that were converted from ex NCC carriage underframes.Both types of wagons were extensively used on the CIE system with CIE GMs,so I would suggest,but I am open to correction,if the wagons in the above photo are linked to the originals,then these wagons would still be owned by NIR.

Reading Edwin McMillian's book 'Dark Days & Brighter Days for NIR' I came across further confirmation on Hunslet's information above.

"In Dec 1980, six new 50T capacity, vacuum-braked bogie rail carrying wagons were delivered to NIR. Built by CIE at their Inchicore in Dublin Works, each wagon was fitted by two petrol driven crane units enabling a total load of 50 rails to be loaded or unloaded by two men within about a half an hour. The new wagons were numbered C476 to C486, and replaced NIR's existing 40T bogie timber trucks, which dated from 1911'.

I think Flying Scotsman may have done some models of these a while back.

Reading Edwin McMillian's book 'Dark Days & Brighter Days for NIR' I came across further confirmation on Hunslet's information above.

"In Dec 1980, six new 50T capacity, vacuum-braked bogie rail carrying wagons were delivered to NIR. Built by CIE at their Inchicore in Dublin Works, each wagon was fitted by two petrol driven crane units enabling a total load of 50 rails to be loaded or unloaded by two men within about a half an hour. The new wagons were numbered C476 to C486, and replaced NIR's existing 40T bogie timber trucks, which dated from 1911'.

I think Flying Scotsman may have done some models of these a while back.

I'm half way through this book,its a very good and interesting read.