Rate this topic

Riversuir226

Ak425- just a quick question re your post there- Beet on Bray Head?? Just asking as I intend to build a layout based on that route and I suspected the occasional beet train might have been diverted? Any further info? (Sorry to bring this off topic, maybe start a new thread?)

Dave182, during storms on the Bank Holiday Monday in 1996 (28 October) one of the gantry cranes at Belview collapsed, blocking the Waterford - Rosslare Strand line. The line remained blocked until 11 November, the delay in clearing the wreckage of the crane being due to the presence of some HazChem containers in the debris. During the closure of the Waterford - Rosslare Strand line beet trains from Wellington Bridge to Mallow were diverted to operate via Wexford and Dublin. The IRRS Journal of February 1997 (No. 132) has a great picture of 087 with a beet train on Bray Head on 30 October 1996 (see page 351).

Dave182, during storms on the Bank Holiday Monday in 1996 (28 October) one of the gantry cranes at Belview collapsed, blocking the Waterford - Rosslare Strand line. The line remained blocked until 11 November, the delay in clearing the wreckage of the crane being due to the presence of some HazChem containers in the debris. During the closure of the Waterford - Rosslare Strand line beet trains from Wellington Bridge to Mallow were diverted to operate via Wexford and Dublin. The IRRS Journal of February 1997 (No. 132) has a great picture of 087 with a beet train on Bray Head on 30 October 1996 (see page 351).

Thanks Josefstadt! I'm always learning on this site!