World Cup!!!!!!!!

Rate this topic

201bhoy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll be interesting to see how Belgium perform... with the likes of Courtois, Kompany, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Hazard, Dembélé, Januzaj, Mirallas, and Lukaku, they have a strong side and could cause a few upsets!

Ivory Coast for me - no need for a new flag, just hang it up backwards..

..and they're quite good, too..

I wonder if England would have a chance if Lee Trundle was still available, and they actually bothered to pick him...

Good ol' Lee Trundle... he was desperate to play for Ireland back in the day: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2006/0117/200353-trundle/

Edited by Garfield

Good ol' Lee Trundle... he was desperate to play for Ireland back in the day: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2006/0117/200353-trundle/

I've genuinely never understood why he never really got anywhere - a truly great player, who made his team-mates play better, too.

He would be in my team for every match where he wasn't in hospital or prison.

Yeah, they also have Mertens who's had a good season with Napoli. It's so hard for me to actually fathom the fact that they're good, as they've not even played in a major tournament since 2002, which I barely remember! They'll have a tough test in round of 16 though, with probably Portugal or Germany to play. I think they could definitely take Germany now that Reus is out! Oh, Lee Trundle... unbelievable technically! I have to say I'd enjoy it if Argentina won it in Brazil, have always preferred them out of the two.

I have to say I'd enjoy it if Argentina won it in Brazil, have always preferred them out of the two.

Wouldn't mind seeing another Argentina v England encounter at some stage... they might have to send Vulcan XH558 on a run to Buenos Aires if it all goes wrong this time! http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/17/article-0-000EC65C00000258-716_634x462.jpg

If a European nation are to win it on South American soil it would be hard to look past Spain and Germany. I can't see Brazil winning it as they are a bit soft in midfield. Argentina will be a good bet if Messi and Aguero are on top form. The press in England don't seem to be talking the team up as much as they have in previous tournaments and that might not be a bad thing for the players, and there hasn't been any talk of 1966 this time round.

I'm really looking forward to it and the group games always throw up some classics.

Rich,

If a European nation are to win it on South American soil it would be hard to look past Spain and Germany. I can't see Brazil winning it as they are a bit soft in midfield. Argentina will be a good bet if Messi and Aguero are on top form. The press in England don't seem to be talking the team up as much as they have in previous tournaments and that might not be a bad thing for the players, and there hasn't been any talk of 1966 this time round.

I'm really looking forward to it and the group games always throw up some classics.

Rich,

I actually wonder if Brazil will wilt under the pressure due to hosting it. Expectation must be huge. I honestly don't know who will win it, it's wide open. I wonder about the Italians myself for some reason especially Mario can keep the head. I think Spain are past their best to be honest, a wonderful team but I think age and that long period at the top has caught up with them.

Would love to see Argentina do it. Unfortunately I don't see England getting out of the group, they'll not handle the heat well and they're poor at the back and no amount of Henderson running in those conditions will make up for Gerrard's lack of legs these days.

I've been like a lost soul since the season finished, thank God the World Cup is here!

I actually wonder if Brazil will wilt under the pressure due to hosting it. Expectation must be huge. I honestly don't know who will win it, it's wide open. I wonder about the Italians myself for some reason especially Mario can keep the head. I think Spain are past their best to be honest, a wonderful team but I think age and that long period at the top has caught up with them.

Would love to see Argentina do it. Unfortunately I don't see England getting out of the group, they'll not handle the heat well and they're poor at the back and no amount of Henderson running in those conditions will make up for Gerrard's lack of legs these days.

I've been like a lost soul since the season finished, thank God the World Cup is here!

If Balotelli gets his act together and goes on a scoring spree, and De Rossi and Pirlo can dictate the midfield play then they could be last four material. I will be having a good look at Sanchez and Vidal for Chile. Also interested to see how Valencia performs for Equador.

Good shop window for a lot of players also. It will be interesting to see if Germany play Muller out wide right with Reus injured. Looking forward to it myself Fran even the Champions Leauge final seems like ages ago.

Rich,

I'd agree with you about De Rossi Rich, in my opinion he's the best holding midfielder in the world. But Balotelli might not even start if Immobile impresses in training. Him and Cerci have linked up so well for Torino this season it would be hard to omit them! When you also add in Bonucci, Chiellini and Barzagli at the back, I could see Italy going far as well. Not sure about Germany now that Reus is injured... Chile do look good, but their group is awful. Would love to see them get out at the expense of Holland!

He played well in that friendly recently Vincent and took his goals well, he's also a big lad but very mobile to go with it. Would have liked to have had a good look at Strootman for Holland but his injury has ruled him out until the end of the year.

Rich,

He played well in that friendly recently Vincent and took his goals well, he's also a big lad but very mobile to go with it. Would have liked to have had a good look at Strootman for Holland but his injury has ruled him out until the end of the year.

Rich,

Oh yeah, not doubting he's a great player, but with Immobile and Cerci scoring 35 between them a mid-table club, and Cerci also getting 10 assists, it would be hard to overlook them. Maybe all 3 will play, with Immobile and Balotelli up front and Cerci behind them. Strootman is a great player allright, Roma are my first team and we really fell away from Juve after he got injured this season!

I should have said that I was talking about Immobile in my post Vincent, my fault for the mix up. I know that it was Fluminense that were the opposition but you still have to take the chances and he certainly did that. Could be Buffons last world cup also. They always produce great goalkeepers and Zoff was 41 when they won it in 1982.

Rich,

I should have said that I was talking about Immobile in my post Vincent, my fault for the mix up. I know that it was Fluminense that were the opposition but you still have to take the chances and he certainly did that. Could be Buffons last world cup also. They always produce great goalkeepers and Zoff was 41 when they won it in 1982.

Rich,

Ahh ok haha, that description could be given to Balotelli as well! Buffon is getting on a bit, could well be his last WC. He's been some keeper over the years for Italy and Juve!

The World Cup is there for the big South American teams to lose.That said,I think Uruguay will have a good tournament with a potential of winning it.Of the European challenge,Belgium play some great football and are probably the best all round European team at the moment,good enough for a top 3 finish.

It'll be interesting to see how Belgium perform... with the likes of Courtois, Kompany, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Hazard, Dembélé, Januzaj, Mirallas, and Lukaku, they have a strong side and could cause a few upsets!

Nice one Pat, I couldn't bring myself to say the F word neither.

Rich,

Ok, that is ridiculous, how is neymar not off?! Croatia should be a goal and man up at half time. Blatant favouritism towards the hosts. Having said that Croatia look dangeorus going forward, come on boys!!

The referee choked... was afraid of sending off the hosts' star man in the first game of the tournament and the criticism he'd get if it turned out he'd gotten the decision wrong.

Croatia will find it a lot more difficult in the second half now that Brazil are back on level terms.

The ref was certainly a homer tonight,lets hope the rest are a bit more braver and not afraid to make big decisions in the days to come.

Absolutely. Croatia were robbed of a point tonight, three decisions which were just wrong! Two good days coming up, with Spain-Holland and Italy-England!

The ref bottled it with the elbow, he had a clear view of the incident. If it was a straight red then Neymar would be banned from the rest of the group games and the last 16.

Very suspect penalty decision also. I hope England do reach the last 8 just to see Dunphy wearing a dress.

Rich,

Two wonderful games today . :-)

Yeah! Pity chile didn't rack up a few more against Australia, that would have really put Spain under pressure. But if Chile can just avoid defeat in their next two games, then spain are out, and if even if they get a point against Spain and not get hammered by holland then they're in with a good chance!

Yeah! Pity chile didn't rack up a few more against Australia, that would have really put Spain under pressure. But if Chile can just avoid defeat in their next two games, then spain are out, and if even if they get a point against Spain and not get hammered by holland then they're in with a good chance!

Chile v Spain is going to be massive now. Another great game to look forward to.

I am shocked at how Spain have capitulated. I honestly thought they would want the four in a row. The hunger seems to be gone. The Cameroon lads are having a bit of a meltdown as I am typing this, headbutting your own team mate.

I hope England get a win tomorrow.

Rich,

I have not seen a team play as well in a long time. I know holland beat Spain 5-1, but I honestly think chile's performance was more impressive. They were so disciplined and compact in defence, they passed the ball about really well and broke so quickly. Kind of reminded me of a pacier, more exciting version of Spain's style of play, and a better defence! Thought that one of the most impressive aspects was how good chile were collectively, but medel was the star man for me. Chile fans were also excellent, national anthem would give you goosebumps! Also, Croatia hammered Cameroon tonight but Song ruined it for Cameroon!!!! Perisic was outstanding, great pass and well taken goal.

Aye, Song acted like a complete madman... but then again, then entire team's discipline was sorely lacking, with Assou Ekotto even headbutting one of his own teammates! Another crazy move, which would have earned him a red card, too, had the referee saw it. Cameroon's overall effort was incredibly poor... I couldn't believe what I was seeing when their defenders barely made any attempt to intercept Mandzukic for the last goal.

Chile are an impressive outfit... the players look like they would die for each other. At the same time, it's a sad end to Spain's golden era. It's hard to comprehend that some of the players - the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Casillas, etc - are/were considered to be among the best of their generation, but were made to look very ordinary. Casillas looks like he has lost all confidence, and between his World Cup experience and the difficulties he had during the season at Real Madrid, you get the feeling his career may never recover.

Edited by Garfield