Zs 666

Rate this topic

richrua

This small class of locomotives were originally ordered and used for Tito's Blue Train in Yugoslavia.

From Wikipedia

Four similar EMD JT22CW-2 locomotives are used by Serbian Railways, designated as ŽS series 666. They were originally intended by Yugoslav Railways for use with Tito's special Blue Train, hence their all blue livery. These locomotives differ from the Irish units in being standard gauge rather than Irish 1600mm gauge and having a full width car-body.[3] After dissolution of Yugoslavia, locomotives have been used to haul freight and passenger trains. All locomotives are currently not operational and awaiting overhaul.

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer the look of the ŽS 666's to the Renfe 319's. Probably because I'm more of a fan of the 071's. Whereas the 319's are almost taking on the 201 look, stretched out, longer.

I wonder will they ever come back into service in Serbia, or have they been overhauled already?

I prefer the look of the ŽS 666's to the Renfe 319's. Probably because I'm more of a fan of the 071's. Whereas the 319's are almost taking on the 201 look, stretched out, longer.

I wonder will they ever come back into service in Serbia, or have they been overhauled already?

Probably as much to do with politics as economics. In the long term Serbia is more likely to source new locos and stock from Russia or European build, than repair/upgrade Tito era GM power.

To a certain extent the turbo charged 645 engine used in the 071 and other similar classes like the SD39-2 & NZR DFT is now considered to be obsolete with railways moving to more fuel efficient Caterpillar, MTU & GE power. Locally Kiwi Rail seems to be running down the DFT fleet dating from 1980 while continuing to upgrade older GEs to run alongside modern MTU powered CNR built locos.