90's Weedspray Consist

Rate this question

dave182

Question

Hi guys.

Just to jog my memory, and to start a thread on this site, can anyone point me in the direction of some images of the Weedspray train, as it was in the 90's? And give some info on the individual wagons. I'm specifically referring to the consist where the tanks and containers were on 2-axle wagons.

I'm thinking it was something like this:

2 or 3 CIE 20' containers

4 tanks (yellow) on 2-axle wagons

1 2-axle (ex TPO) in departmental yellow, kinda pink maybe? (available from Mayner?)

1 bogie coach (spray wagon) Is this the same one that runs today?

Finally, I think Heirflik has a model of this set? Can you re-post some pics to make me jealous again?!

12 answers to this question

Loco

Ex Bredin Mk2 Coach

5 x 20' tanktainers on triangulated frames

2 x 20' CIE recycled containers on 22' flats

1 x 30' crew van - recycled TPO van - 18' wheelbase. (It's still in the guinness sidings in Heuston)

There were loads of variations in the consist, but you're kinda right. The pink colour came from desaturation of the paint due to the chemicals.

The Bredin coach was retired and an ex BR MK1 coach took it's place - 3187.

Will have running numbers of the Bredin/Laminate and crew van tomorrow.

22.jpg

27392 Weed Tank Wagon.jpg

27392 Weed Tank Wagon2.jpg

881854_81cc5eac.jpg

3036471_763694a4.jpg

dparksbc10001.jpg

weed.jpg

Lol, I have form with the aul weedspray so!

I built a few of them. The first one was a stanier cut and shut, which involved two chassis' married together. Not recommended. Second one was a styrene overlay on a gwr 60' coach, but when finished didn't have the girth, nor the roof profile that that the Irish "wide assed" girls do. Was nearly 4mm too narrow and unconvincing.

The last one is being worked on - faithful down to each replacement panel and rusty hinge for a certain member on here. I've just completed the kit for the etched overlay for the MK1 BSK, after making a half dozen of them, but that's for another post. I really need to do a workbench update..... :((

The video shows three containers, one slightly taller than the other two. Also, looking closely at the photos posted above, the arrangement of the consist seems to be different in each case. Nevertheless, a very interesting prototype.

At some point in his workshop, Glenderg goes through making the spray coach from an old Triang coach for WRENNEIRE. The end result is very good. However, above he refers to etched overlays - where can we get these from, please?

Stephen

Lol, I have form with the aul weedspray so!

I built a few of them. The first one was a stanier cut and shut, which involved two chassis' married together. Not recommended. Second one was a styrene overlay on a gwr 60' coach, but when finished didn't have the girth, nor the roof profile that that the Irish "wide assed" girls do. Was nearly 4mm too narrow and unconvincing.

The last one is being worked on - faithful down to each replacement panel and rusty hinge for a certain member on here. I've just completed the kit for the etched overlay for the MK1 BSK, after making a half dozen of them, but that's for another post. I really need to do a workbench update..... :((

Please do a workbench update Richie.

I would love to get one of those overlays too.

The older weed spray has some great "last movements" such as

The North Kerry in may 1984 with 172 at the helm.

New Ross in 1995,Waterford-Ballinacourty 1988,

Kingscourt 2002 and I think Foynes in 2001.

I'm afraid I only have the Departmental numbers.

The Spray Coach was 628A.

One of the 4-wheel dormer coaches was 638A (which was apparently 2771 in a previous life), the other 639A.

I suspect the pink colour may be the result of the application of orange undercoat, which has a tendency to go that colour unless covered.

I would be interested to know the original numbers for the vehicles if anyone has them. The Spray coach appears to be an early CIE 9' 6" wide one, but the number would reveal its history.

I believe that the spray coach was converted from the CIE design composite coach, the first series when they were on 61' 6" chassis with a 4F/3S layout, as opposed to the CIE build of the Bredin design on a 60' chassis with a 3F/4S layout. The preserved coach at Dundsandle is one of CIE design series.

Stephen

Can anyone confirm what period there were two ex-TPO vans in the weedspray train consist i.e. 638A and 639A? One of the pictures posted in this thread shows two being hauled by a CIE liveried loco. Were these two vans of similar layout? Any information appreciated. Thanks.