How to get body shell off a MM 141/181 - In reality?

Rate this question

Noel

Question

How in the name of all that is good about WD40 does one get the blasted body shell off a 141/181?

I am trying to fit a 21pin decoder. I have done the following as per recommendations:

1. Removed the side rails
  2. Removed the end cab
  3. Gently and not so gently squeezed the body sides but it seems almost glued on!

I afraid of damaging the model if I use any more force. Are the pressure lugs clipped into the under frame, OR inside onto the metal weight?

HELP! banghead.gif

drowning.gif

Some material I have read and studied, but no joy, it is stuck fast. It's a brand new MM 141 Black preserved B141.

Mag piece: http://www.murphymodels.com/files/Class_141_Sound_DCC_MR130_058-061.pdf

How to on MRF: http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17970

Service sheet: http://www.bachmann.co.uk/pdfs/mm_141_181.pdf

15 answers to this question

The lugs are clipped to the underframe. If you turn the bogie a little you'll see them from underneath. Your loco, having a black body makes them more difficult to see, as they are the same colour as the body. The orange ones can be seen much easier. Anyway, prising them from underneath with a small screwdriver or something should release them. Taking off the plastic bogie frame will give you more room if you need it.....

Edited by aclass007

The lugs are clipped to the underframe. If you turn the bogie a little you'll see them from underneath. Your loco, having a black body makes them more difficult to see, as they are the same colour as the body. The orange ones can be seen much easier. Anyway, prising them from underneath with a small screwdriver or something should release them. Taking off the plastic bogie frame will give you more room if you need it.....

Thanks used a block hammer, crowbar and stick of dynamite. Kidd'n. :) Got it off with some more force.

I need a microscope to get the railings back on.

Glad you got sorted... Don't worry, we were all in the same position with the 141 bodies...especially our first one :tumbsup:

Thanks guys. Hopefully some day I may be able to get a few more 141/181s.

Yep, they're a b**ger and no mistake! Personally I leave the railings on and just release the tabs from underneath as aclass07 said.

That's what I'll do next time. The handrails clip on and off ok, but the thin end that returns to the body base plate was glued on the B141 I got a few weeks ago.

Noel - you will notice that the cab is no longer a tight fit and there is a noticeable gap between it and the chassis but there is nothing that can be done about that.:((

I wonder would gluing it down with a little copydex work? I think this is what Silverfox use to glue the body of their locos to the chassis. Anyone who has removed a Silverfox body will know that it breaks away from the chassis cleanly, with little effort, which would mean the 141 cabs should be easy enough to remove, if glued with copydex.... :confused:

But, I'm only thinking out loud here! Research it further before anyone tries it!

Personally I leave the railings on and just release the tabs from underneath as aclass07 said.

Thanks that worked a real treat on 182. hyper.gif I used wooden ice cream sticks to pressure the sides through the railings.

Noel - you will notice that the cab is no longer a tight fit and there is a noticeable gap between it and the chassis but there is nothing that can be done about that.:((

Yes I noticed that Seamus. Were the cab ends glued with some sort of flexiglue, or is there some other reason? Looking forward to putting some Belfast models sound chips in them.