Nenagh in 21mm P4

Rate this topic

21mmp4

fascinating. this is a level of modelling i would be scared of!

Why be scared? The tools and gauges are available to help. The only thing that's different is the track gauge; all the other track-building principles remain the same.

Hopefully the degree of rust on the rails - a characteristic of much of the network - will also be portrayed!

• 1 month later...

21mmp4,

we used exactly the same method to re gauge our locos. I have been doing this for about 3 years now and have done all of my 141/181's and 071's the same way. Did you get the idea from the article in the Scalefourum magazine a few years ago as I did? My only nemisis with the whole thing is the odd wheel I can't get to go on perfectly square to the axle...although it so subtle that it doesn't affect the running of the loco.

RedRich,

I've been doing 21mm for a few years now and although the stores don't carry a check rail gauge (bizarre) but it's not absolutely essential. It sounds like a crude way of doing it but since it's the very last piece to go into a point I run a loco or a few wagons over the crossover after securing the check rail in place with very slow drying epoxy. This allows for any minor corrections of discrepancies to be taken care of. Technically the flange way at the crossing vee and the distance between the check rail and adjacent stock rail should be identical however I always go a little on the less tighter side with the check rail so there would definitely be no binding when the wheels pass through. I also use a single pair of wheels on an axle and place them on the track at the check rail that still isn't fully cured and gently move them perpendicular to the rails. I allow the flange (back side) of the wheel to just touch the check rail and then while rolling it back and forth check the opposite wheel to make sure it's not going to catch the crossing vee. This will allow enough play for the wheels to run freely with no binding but at the same time not too much that it will result in catching the crossing vee. Clear as mud? :) Actually, if you build the point well, all your rolling stock should roll right through without even needing check rails. In fact I've waited months sometimes before even installing them and have therefore come to the conclusion that for modeling purposes they are merely aesthetic.

Very informative John and well explained. I am a member of the society myself and I must have a good look through the online library of scalefour news to see if there is any thing 21mm related. I was ready to make a start 2 years ago myself on some test track but unforeseen circumstances got in the way. All being good a start on the test track will begin in the new year and hopefully a proper home for the railway the following year. It's nice to know that there are several experienced and helpful modelers of 21mm scale on here for me to learn from as I progress.

Keep the updates coming and once again huge respect for the great work you are doing now.

Rich,

Bit of 21mm stuff I found

P1070265_zps73418f1f.jpg

Looking at this pic from Left to Right

Studiolith/Exactoscale 3 ply Timber strips for sleepers in the plastic bag

Top row has Exactoscale Track Gauge P4, Back to back gauge, P4

Next row has Spring Loaded Check Gauge P4 & 2 sets of 21mm axles

Next row Conversion bush's to 21mm for track gauge, Loco assembly gauge & Hornblock assembly gauge

Underneath these items there is a Jig Conversion Brushes set for 21mm and some 21 mm wheelsets at the bottom of the pic

The cardboard tube on the right contains Studiolith/Exactoscale 85 grade bullhead rail in 50cm lengths

• 1 month later...

god, you can't turn your back for 6 months but someone goes and posts a p4 layout and you miss it.

Only just found this. Lovely work.

I used a DD Wheelwrights rolling gauge to space the check rails from the stock rails (which I gather is NOT recommended) and a Bond (?) gauge to check clearances. I think I got them all from the P4 stores. (But don't look at me, I've only built a crossover and 1.2m of track so far.)

If you're looking for 21mm gauge bogies, Bill Bedford is producing his to suit the GSR and B4 designs.

Good luck with the build. I'll keep an eye on this now that I know it's here. It's nice to see an increase in the number of people interested in modelling to 21mm gauge.

Alan

• 7 months later...