Tour de France 2012

Rate this topic

We could see the first ever Brittish winner of the tour this year.

Bradly Wiggins is hotly tipped to win having won pre tour warm

up race.His sky team is very strong and Mark Cavindish could win

Green jersey as well.

He has a great chance of doing it, especially as Contador is still banned. Maybe the Schleck brothers will have different ideas though. Should be interesting.

I would love to see Bradly Wiggins win the tour but to be honest I don't think he has that killer instinct that a Grand tour winner needs. My money will be on one of the Schleck Bros or Evans. I know Bradly won the Critérium du Dauphiné, Tour of Romandy and Paris-Nice. But the Tour is 3 weeks of hell on earth one bad day and its all over. He has the team and he can time trial but the papers are putting him in the same league as Eddy Merckx and Jaques Anquetil and in my eyes he wouldn't be fit to clean their bikes and I would say he would agree with me on that one.

I do hope he wins the Tour and Cavendish the green jersey it will be great for British cycling, but as I said all top amateurs and pro cyclists have that killer instinct but a Grand Tour winner has that little bit more and I haven't seen that in Wiggins yet. I hope the guy proves me wrong we will all know in a few weeks.

Edited by Anthony

I remember in 1987 when Stephen Roche won, a british commentator came out with a classic

"An English speaking winner of the Tour De France at last"

Classic

25 years ago mate and I remember it like it was yesterday and he is still only one of two men ever to win the Tour of Italy/Tour De France/and World Championships in the one year the other been the Great Eddy Merckx. I raced against Kelly and Roche in a one day pro/am once and boy did I get a hiding I remember coming home with my father in the car and him laughing saying to me " That opened your eyes son I haven't seen you suffer like that in a long time"

Edited by Anthony

I remember in 1987 when Stephen Roche won, a british commentator came out with a classic

"An English speaking winner of the Tour De France at last"

Classic

I was talking to Stephen in Dundrum yesterday. He was signing copies of his autobiography and seemed to be enjoying the attention.

Im not to sure if wiggo brad Wiggins is a true tour contender, he is being promoted by the British press and sky his own sponsor the British press as a general rule no nothing about cycling. having known his dad before he passed away and knowing brad well when he was a kid when i was training and racing with him at the Archer road club in london , i think he not the right guy to win this years tour. but i would be very happy if i was wrong.

by the way brad himself will tell you the football is not for wimps and is an Arsenal supporter himself !

Im an ex archer road club london and wexford wheeler and used to work for the british cycling federation

Edited by waffles

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like my prediction that Bradly Wiggins is going to win the tour

will come true.Chris Froome is the revalation of the race-very impressive.

Irelands Dan Martin done well as he showed he got stronger in the final

days in the mountains so roll on next year.Nick Roche done well but pity

he did not win a stage.

Looks like my prediction that Bradly Wiggins is going to win the tour

will come true.

Don't count your chickens yet. He still has to cross the line tomorrow in Paris. I didn't think he could do it but it's great to see. The 2 Irish riders were a bit of a let down for me.

Rider of the Tour has to be the 22 year old Peter Sagan a pure revelation.