Paint stripping

Rate this question

Portoman

Question

Hi, I've some old Hornby goods wagons -McVitie biscuits - which I wanted to repaint. I thought I read here that brake fluid is best for removing paint. Is that only for hand painted stuff ? I soaked one in some brake fluid for 24 hrs but it looks the same ,not a budge on the paint or signage.:(( Is there another way or spray over the factory paint the only option . What are the best colours for goods wagons ? Thanks, Dave

7 answers to this question

Hi, I've some old Hornby goods wagons -McVitie biscuits - which I wanted to repaint. I thought I read here that brake fluid is best for removing paint. Is that only for hand painted stuff ? I soaked one in some brake fluid for 24 hrs but it looks the same ,not a budge on the paint or signage.:(( Is there another way or spray over the factory paint the only option . What are the best colours for goods wagons ? Thanks, Dave

Hi portoman, I do beleive brake fluid is the stuff all right, but I think you may need to use a brush to rub the old signs off, but don't do anything just yet there'll be someone on here soon who know's exactly what to do, I'm very interested in this issue as well,

Paul

24 hours should have been adequate for stripping factory paint. Unusual for it not to come off. I assume you are using fresh brake fluid, and not some that has been opened and lying around for some time. If brake fluid is not stored in airtight conditions, it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and loses its ability to strip paint.

I have been using brake fluid for many years, with a 99% success rate. I have had the occasional wagon where the factory applied paint refuses to come off, but they are very rare. Trains from Jouef totally refuse to strip with brake fluid, but will readily wash off with white spirit. Very messy, and requires lots of white spirit, not recommended.

Dave do you want to post a before and after to see the offending van and what works?