Hollywood Foundry Bull-Ant for CIE E Class

Rate this topic

Mayner

Rather than hi-jack Richies E-Class thread I thought it would be better to run a separate thread on Bull-Ant power bogies/chassis.

Hollywood Foundry produce custom Bull-Ant chassis in various gauges from 009 to S mainly for tram and traction modellers and some of the weird and wonderful rail-borne critters used in the American backwoods, Australian and New Zealand bush.

I built an E Class several years ago using a Shapeways body and a Bull-Ant chassis as few rtr motor bogies or chassis had good enough low speed performance.

DSCF3173.JPG

Bull Ant Major for E421 Class In ordering a Bull Ant the buyer specifies the wheelbase and gauge, in my case 21mm to NMRA RP25 standards. I am not sure where the decoder came from possibly an ESU bought at an exhibition in Germany over 10 years ago.

DSCF3174.JPG

The business end showing the reduction gearing to the lay shaft. Hollywood Foundry now offer an option of rubber band drive for quieter running.

DSCF3175.JPG

Body mounting is with a butterfly bracket arrangement, in this case with a rigid as opposed to the usual pivot fixing. I added .060" plasticard packing pieces to the inside of the body and bolted the chassis to the packing pieces with 10BA bolts.

E421 needs some repairs as I managed to drop the loco breaking of the buffers at one end and one of the butterfly plates. The loco also needs couplings & glazing and could badly do with some toning down.

DSCF3179.JPG

Thanks John, hugely appreciated. It is a seriously nice piece of engineering and the finished model is a smashing job. It looks even better running on the 21mm track and runs sweet in both directions. Shunting movements in forward and reverse are such an integral part of the real railway and she looks right at home doing both. I'd say she runs just as flawlessly running through crossings. Once again top work.

Rich,

I managed to find the order for the Chassis. Hard to believe that it was Jan 2010

Bull Ant Major, wheels 12mm dia, Code 110 NS disc, MH-1630 motor, 30:1 gear reduction, 26 mm batwing mounting bolster, 2 fixed soldered to chassis, wheelbase 20+32mm

I managed to find the order for the Chassis. Hard to believe that it was Jan 2010

Bull Ant Major, wheels 12mm dia, Code 110 NS disc, MH-1630 motor, 30:1 gear reduction, 26 mm batwing mounting bolster, 2 fixed soldered to chassis, wheelbase 20+32mm

Five years John wow. If there is any truth to the saying that times goes fast when you are having fun we must be having a ball. Thanks for the dimensions and other info.

Rich,

point to note - when you see the order form It does look confusing. Take your time and be sure you enter the correct dimensions. I made a mistake on one measurement and had to send it back to be rebuilt.......an expensive mistake!:((

It happens Seamus and having seen the order form on their website I can understand how it could happen.

Rich,

Good man - tell 'her' I said you could have an extra shilling this week.

It might help somebody find it in the future - like me, for instance....

On that note, it there a way of tagging/saving a link to/other way to re-find threads that one know one might well wish to find in the future?

Sometimes I cannot remember something unique to search for to find a thread that I've read and am looking for again, and sometimes I do but maybe that keyword is in the text and somehow does't show up in the search….