Amerton Railway.

Rate this topic

Broithe

The plastic tank arrangement is a home-brewed automatic flange lubricator - the track has numerous tight bends and the squeal could get rather annoying.

The apparatus is zeroed at the start of each trip and it then counts the axle revolutions during each trip. Water is then automatically sprayed on the bend sections. It actually seems to work quite well in terms of reducing the squeal.

The plastic tank arrangement is a home-brewed automatic flange lubricator - the track has numerous tight bends and the squeal could get rather annoying.

The apparatus is zeroed at the start of each trip and it then counts the axle revolutions during each trip. Water is then automatically sprayed on the bend sections. It actually seems to work quite well in terms of reducing the squeal.

The GSWR 2-4-2T locos designed for the Valentia & Kenmare branches were originally fitted with a water spray arrangement to reduce rail/wheel wear on the sharp curves.

The RNAD wagons take me back to my volunteering days on the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway in Wales in the 90s. The vans were an ending of the Cold War dividend to various mainly 2' gauge preservation schemes up and down the UK. The wagons were used at Royal Navy ammunition depots in various parts of the UK and sold by public auction/tender. Most of the vans had the imprint of shells in the floor.

Being the Navy the wagons were generally in good condition the only problem the wagons were to 2'6" gauge. The re-gauge involved pumping the wheels out on the axle using a large hydraulic press, machining a shoulder on the axle and pressing the wheels back to the correct back to back on the press.

John, I remember those wagons being regauged,

didnt some of the axles get altered at Boston Lodge? During my employment at BL there was considerable inter departmental politics which caused the track greasers to fall out of use. This caused massive increase in flange wear and a major part of my job became welding up and reprofileing carriage wheels.

FR also aquired some bogie exMinistry but they were 2ft gauge and the back to back was narrowed by welding steel rings on the flange back.

The sliding roof"s on the vans got them the nickname giraffe vans, at Boston Lodge, after the old Tri-ang action van!