lima 201

Rate this topic

irishtrains2730

Traditionally when that question is asked on the site, nobody is going to state an amount in case you're selling it and they might wish to purchase it or vice versa. You could look on the For Sale or Wanted thread to get an estimate if one has sold on the site. You could look on eBay to see if one has been sold in the last three months or so. The 'value' at any particular time can vary depending on who might be interested in one at any particular time.

Not easy to answer because Lima MM 201s were replaced by the superior Murphy Model manufactured 201s which have infinitely better motor drive chassis. MM 201s are selling new through retail channels from €135 to €179 depending on livery.

Lima made 201s are rare and only available on eBay, used to sell at astronomically daft prices before Murphy Models launched their far superior 201 which caused the second hand value of Lima 201s to collapse. There are still the odd few 'head in the sand' types occasionally trying to sell them for upwards of €350, but they aren't selling at those daft prices anymore except to the odd unfortunate gullible punter.

IMHO a new Lima 201 is not worth more than half the price of a new MM 201. The MM has centre drive chassis, both bogies powered, four axel drive and all wheel pickup, hence its low speed performance especially over point work puts the poor Lima chassis in the shade. Add to that 201 prototypes seem not as popular as 071/111, 141/181 GM model locos.

cheers for the replies.ye I have one sitting in a cupboard that I was thinking of selling as I need money to restore a mk2 transit minibus but I didn't want to give it away.i know what ya mean about the mm ones as before they came out I sold a river boyne for €475 but even I know they aren't worth a fraction of that now.i saw one on ebay for £150 buy it now but don't think it sold.

cheers for the replies.ye I have one sitting in a cupboard that I was thinking of selling as I need money to restore a mk2 transit minibus but I didn't want to give it away.i know what ya mean about the mm ones as before they came out I sold a river boyne for €475 but even I know they aren't worth a fraction of that now.i saw one on ebay for £150 buy it now but don't think it sold.

It won't

The first one has as much of a chance at selling for that as Ireland has of winning the rugby world cup.

The second one is not bad for that price

• 3 weeks later...
The Lima chassis is nowhere near as good a runner as the Murphy model one, hence value is probably more for static display purposes. Add to that 201 class GMs just don't seem to be as popular with modellers as the earlier era Irish locos.

I've 6 of them.....(MM ones that is) :facepalm: