LP and LX flat wagons.

Rate this question

Railer

Question

Just a few questions about these flat wagons. Are the LPs the 42fts and the LX are the 47fts? Also around when were both models introduced into service, around the late '70s? Just trying to accurately model a rake and I seen some/most have spark guards fitted in recent years and they did not have these when built and recently on IWT liners they mix 42s and 47s together in the same rake, I would have thought they would generally keep them apart.

Any and all info on these would be great and any more news about the 32 42 wagons that were illegally cut up at Dundalk yard 2 years ago unknown to Irish Rail until the guilty part was trying to remove the scrap for the site.

17 answers to this question

Hi Railer, Generally the 42'9" wagons are referred to as LPs,and the 47' as LXs, The LPs and LYs were the first into service in the early seventies, There are no LYs in service now as their bogies became non standard, The LYs were used predominantly for Guinness traffic,along with the LPs and LXs. The LXs came into service during the late 1990s as it was found IE would need a longer wagon to cater for the 45' 9'6" high containers-they were extended by using the buffers and headstocks from former fertiliser wagons and indeed some of the bodies of the fertiliser wagons were used also From what I'm told there are now a sufficient number of LP wagons refurbished for the forthcoming biomass traffic. image-671281415.jpg An LY wagon with the now non standard bogies.

Edited by ttc0169
  • Informative 1

I thought the LYs were the 60ft flats. What are the differences between the LP and LY flats. I was watching a youtube vid this evening of the Bell liners back in the day. There was a part where the A class was hauling a liner out of Kilkenny station and I noticed that every second wagon had the new and old bogie types alternating, it was like they were intentionally marshaled this way but I'm sure was just a coincidence.

I thought the LYs were the 60ft flats. What are the differences between the LP and LY flats.

Mainly bogie and spark proof brake blocks are the difference between the LP and LY,

As far as I can remember there is a different classification for the 62'9" bogie wagons

I haven't the IE general appendix to hand at the moment to clarify.

Noel, I think the LY flats with the spark proof brake blocks worked the Asahi liner carrying the ACRYLONITRILE tanks, they replaced the 4 wheel MY flat in the early 90s.

The 42ft flats that where illegally cut up in Dundalk I think where LKs which where former LPs that where modified to carry alcohol products (kegs)it would have been a bigger tragedy if they had been LXs, the LXs where modified to carry the 45ft container, in resent years the shipping companies are moving from 40ft containers to 45s.

An IWT 45 container on a modified LX in NW.

Regards

hg

30249 at NW..jpg

• Informative 1

Thanks for all the info so far.

Just a question about the instanter coupler used. Why do they use a shunting pole to put more slack into the coupling while the train is being shunted. This can be done when the train has stopped and all the wagons are pushed up together. What is the purpose of this method?

Thanks for all the info so far. Just a question about the instanter coupler used. Why do they use a shunting pole to put more slack into the coupling while the train is being shunted. This can be done when the train has stopped and all the wagons are pushed up together. What is the purpose of this method?
Tight curvature going into the Dublin Port sidings means that the instanter couplings need to be lengthened before entry otherwise they would break with the strain put on them.

Thanks hg for the clarification.

Edited by ttc0169
  • Informative 1

On 11/1/2015 at 10:06 PM, Railer said:

Thanks for all the info so far.

Just a question about the instanter coupler used. Why do they use a shunting pole to put more slack into the coupling while the train is being shunted. This can be done when the train has stopped and all the wagons are pushed up together. What is the purpose of this method? I personally think the train is going tjrough some tight curves when going to the terminal

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the Tara's had there couplings 'loosened' before proceeding along Alexandra Road' no doubt for the sharp curve into the tippler and maybe also to facilitate uncoupling each wagon as it was unloaded and switched to the empty road . They used to stop just past Church Road box with the loco just past the East Road overbridge whilst the wagon couplings or possibly just the loco/first wagon one were eased. 

ERnie

Edited by Irishswissernie