Clifden and other stuff

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

My father lived near the Salmon Weir bridge in Galway just before the Clifden line closed, he had little interest in railway but often spoke about a girl that often walked the top of the steelwork of the Corrib Viaduct. http://www.realizedvision.com/railways.php

The GSR offered the viaduct to the city or county for a £5, but the local authorities were not prepared to take on the liabilities and the viaduct was dismantled.

That wouldn't be for the faint hearted, Mayner.... can you imagine the health and safety police nowadays, if the driver of the Galway to Clifden ICR reported seeing such a thing!

http://www.3news.co.nz/tvshows/campbelllive/rail-bridge-jumpers-want-safer-solution-2015020319#axzz3xxD0Tyd8

Even in Ireland the railway has no legal duty to trespassers, but families, local politicians and coroner would be calling for blood if anything happened.

Speaking of clifden, some pictures I took recently of the 6 wheel coach there. There is a hole in the side, so got some pics of the inside. Does the lever to the right imply that it was a break coach. I have it on good authority that the coach came up from cork when there were renovating the station house hotel.

IMG_20160109_115110.jpg

IMG_20160109_115122.jpg

IMG_20160109_150125.jpg

IMG_20160109_150001.jpg

IMG_20160109_115239.jpg

It was. That's why the compartments and seats were removed, and the brake wheel installed. Quite a few old six wheelers (most, if not all MGWR) were great in this way. No. 62, latterly in the Cork breakdown train was bout from CIE by yours truly and presented to the RPSI - that's the one at Whitehead. Best IR£60 I ever spent!

A model of it would nowadays cost double that, I'm sure.

It was. That's why the compartments and seats were removed, and the brake wheel installed. Quite a few old six wheelers (most, if not all MGWR) were great in this way. No. 62, latterly in the Cork breakdown train was bout from CIE by yours truly and presented to the RPSI - that's the one at Whitehead. Best IR£60 I ever spent!

A model of it would nowadays cost double that, I'm sure.

You bought one for €60?? When was that??

Incidentally, if you look at that photo, you'll see at the far end of the coach the mid brown (lower) and cream (upper) which the GSR and CIE painted inside wooden-boarded third class coaches. Not unlike the inside of cabs of locos painted green.

Off thread I know, but the insides of the cabs of grey locos were - guess what - plain grey - or occasionally brown, no upper cream bit.