Grounded Bodies

Rate this topic

Jawfin

Evening all

Surprised that a topic like this hasn't been posted yet.

In the past week, I've learned of at least 5 grounded coach bodies across Ireland that I previously didn't know existed. This has got me wondering what else is out there, so a few friends and I have decided to try and compile a list. Some examples that we're aware of are listed below; would anybody be able to add to this, or at least add details?

- 6203 and 6205 in Naas

- GNR 6-wheeler in Louth

- GNR 6-wheeled full brake in Louth

- BCDR 18 in Antrim

- NIR 771 in Antrim

- Half a GNR bogie... Somewhere (forget if it's still there or not)

- A couple of GSWR things

- Unidentified one... Somewhere

- Half of SLNCR No. 10 in Manorhamilton - would be surprised if it's still there

Of course, it would be inappropriate to post the locations of some coaches, so mere references - or even photos - would be still very interesting.

Edited by Jawfin

I am currently researching the identity of three old carriage bodies on private land. They are clearly ex-GSWR by design, my estimate being 1879-90 period. Judging by the windows one is an all first, another looks as if it was a composite, and the third likewise though interior clues suggest a substantial internal reorganisation while in traffic, which would be highly unusual if proven to be the case.

I have carried out a detailed inspection of them and have been unable to identify them exactly, but my efforts continue. I'm presuming the Dundalk ones are the ones at Giles' Quay; there used to be many more there, and I am told that at the site I am looking at, there used to also be a former tram body. There's a GNR covered van body in a field above the dual carriageway passing Banbridge, Co. Down, as many here will know.

Compilation of a complete list would be very difficult now, if not impossible, because Ireland is bigger than one thinks when country and farm lanes are included! Almost all ex-railway vehicles are likely to be on private land too.

I am aware of several very interesting vehicles which have bitten the dust in recent years. Those left nowadays, one has to remember, haven't seen railway service typically in 50-70 years, and may be structurally unsound at this stage. Many have been substantially altered or disguised by sheeting or panelling, often to an extent that makes identification of the vehicle type, let alone identity, almost impossible.

Any list is therefore going to be incomplete - however - it's an excellent idea from the point of view of interest to gather as much information as possible. In some cases, owners may be all too happy for someone to dismantle one on their land for spare parts for the RPSI or (more likely) the DCDR. In other cases, photographs or measurements could be of great use to historians, enthusiasts, modellers and preservationists.

can you take pictures and post, Harry? Roof details, ends, interiors, door handles, window frames will all help to identify.

Right John, will do..but they are nothing particularly special, as the are just vans.

There is another van by the brosna too, in a bad state though..

Edit: isn't there a coach body on a farm near Dundalk? I'm sure I saw one there a while ago..

Edited by GSR 800

There are several coach bodies as mentioned above, Harry, and in various places all over the country. Almost all are now in extremely ropey condition.

There is what looks like a 6-wheel clerestory coach grounded on farmland a mile beyond Kelly's Hotel in Rosslare Strand... Next time I'm near I'll get a photie.

A six wheeler with a clerestorey roof would be an exceptionally rare beast indeed. I know of one GSWR design - an all-first in this case. There were very few others. All that I am aware of were GSWR.

Clerestorey carriages (incidentally often mispronounced; it should sound like "clear story") were quite uncommon in Ireland in general. Most railway companies had none. The GNR and GSWR had a few, but the Midland, BNCR, BCDR, and DSER (I'm nearly sure) didn't have any. I must look up in the Catacombs to see if the W & L / WLWR did.

Could it be that the Rosslare one is half of a bogie vehicle? When bogie carriages were sold off as hen houses, farm sheds or holiday homes, they were often cut in half to make transport easier. The restored BCDR coach 148 arrived at the railway in two halves! And I remember seeing the remains of one of the SLNCR bogies near Manorhamilton, and another out in the sticks (now long gone) which were halves of two of the bogies.

Even if this Rosslare vehicle is half a bogie, it still makes for a rare bird. Photos would aid identification.

There's two, perhaps 3 ex Cork and Muskerry coaches in use as holiday homes near Youghal and in pretty good shape too.

There were lots of coaches, wagons and even buses up around Crosshaven, pretty much all of these have either rotted away or have been demolished. One ng wagon, either C&MLR or CB&PR origin survives as a garden shed.

Spotted what looked like one half of a parcels, brake or postal van cut in two a few years ago, but covered in cladding on three sides with one side backed onto a high wall so impossible to tell what exactly it was.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

The "carriage" at the youth hostel there is an interesting one, milepost.

It's not a CDR one, but the remains of a GNR six wheeler dating from the late 1880s, by the design. Each side of it was placed side by side, if you know what I mean, to create the illusion of a longer coach. What's behind them is a mixture of carriage parts and a purpose built youth hostel. It is designed to look like a grounded body, and is painted in CDR colours. But it's literally only a facade.

Ah, that's a shame. They've done a great job on it though; it certainly looks great.

Does indeed. I'm just rifling the catacombs now to see what photos of grounded things I can come up with to post upside down....

Meant to mention as well that that place didn't have anything NCC narrow gauge either!

Three nice grounded coaches in use at 5-star at Glenlo Abbey hotel in Galway

14436000080_780ac21680_b.jpg

PullmanRestaurant-1280px.jpg?w=1000&h=600

http://www.glenloabbeyhotel.ie/en/pullman-restaurant-galway/

Recently enjoyed by another forumite! :)

An interesting one, that Leona thing. LNER Pullman built 1927, a regular on the Devon Belle and Golden Arrow, used in 1965 on Churchill's funeral train, carried 'reverse rail blue' livery before withdrawl in 1969. I have more info on the three coaches there if you're interested (one is half a GUV).

And composite GSWR 907 from 1889, built by the WLWR, w/1949. Any idea of its original No.? It's in Halfway, Cork, along with one of the four remaining CSET Rustons, a beet wagon, a wagon body, and a brake van.

GSWR 907.jpg

Not my pic

Edited by Jawfin

907 was a 1st / 2nd composite, also with a central luggage compartment, as you say built in 1889 by the W & L, as one of a pair. Four more were built to the same design over the next few years. It was Waterford & Limerick Railway No. 25, renumbered 907 by the GSWR. The GSR and CIE retain the same numb until it became 234A in departmental stock in 1947. It appears to have been arranged 2 / 1 / Luggage / 1 / 2. The GSR made it 1st / 3rd instead of 1st / 2nd in 1929. Its sister, numbered 24 / 906 / 233A had a similar career.

The clerestorey coach referred to earlier was - if it IS a six-wheeler rather than half a bogie - probably GSWR 1878-built four compartment all-first No. 332.

The clerestorey coach referred to earlier was - if it IS a six-wheeler rather than half a bogie - probably GSWR 1878-built four compartment all-first No. 332.

Sounds absolutely fantastic! I'd kill to see it. I must try and look for it on google maps later.

Great thread, I must say

Ok lads, here they are...

The first one I'm not very sure about, it seems to be half a van..image.jpg

The interior..image.jpg

Now, the second van is far more interesting, and harder to get to, but I'll have a rant about that later..

image.jpg

The faded roundel..

image.jpg

The interior..

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And some other stuff..

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpgTwas like Mission impossible trying to get to them..

That "mini-container" looks about right, but I've no recollection of seeing photos of them in use in Ireland. The UTA had similar things, but not that design.

The second van - any exterior photos?

Exterior shots are already up there John! Are ye standing on yer head again?

Actually can anyone else see a very faded roundel on the "mini container"?

That "mini-container" looks about right, but I've no recollection of seeing photos of them in use in Ireland. The UTA had similar things, but not that design.

Might just be an 'odd one' that came over for some reason - maybe even just used as a disposable crate for something and not worth returning when they became redundant over here. Might not even have travelled by rail there at all.

Not a roundel, Harry... It's an "O" - I saw that!

CIE certainly never had anything like that.

I wonder if other lettering is visible?

Look inside the O John, that was the point of it, so it would be easier to see it!

Apart from the V, which I saw on a loco once, nothing visible. It's wedged in a bush too...