Grounded Bodies

Rate this topic

Jawfin

I don't see anything inside the "O"...... but it doesn't have a "broken wheel" aspect to it, at the sides, though at the very top it looks a little like it...

CIE didn't put roundels on early containers anyway; they used a black rectangle with the letters "C I E" on it. The roundel only came on later design "modern" containers, which were painted orange.

If there is any likelihood it's a roundel, the container must be some sort of oddball one-off, possibly something used as a store?

Now that IS incoherent! :-)

Jesus that was some rant, eh? I musnt have had tea in a good while..

But seriously..

Meabh: because she was the first in service, might have reached the ton, and of. Course was preserved

Macha: a lot of film of her,and(I think) she was the last one in service with the IRRS rail tour in 1964.

Tailte didn't last very long, and she was like the Britannia of the Olympic class..

Her sisters cast a long shadow over her...

• Like 1

It looked more like a roundel from further away!

In the close-up, it looks like it's infilled with white as well...

The spring loaded label holder would be an almost sure sign it is of railway origin.

In the case, minister, it seems we have ruined the status quo!

John will be baffled!

• 2 years later...

I have not seen this van in the flesh, just close up pics taken off the Google image. However, the end framing is more akin to the NCC than the GNR. The images below show the differences quite clearly. The first image is a snip from the Google image, and clearly shows that the two centre vertical frames continue past the horizontal frame at the top. The centre picture shows an NCC van end, which has the same frame arrangement on the end. The third picture is of a standard GNR van end, which clearly shows the difference between NCC and GNR van end framing.

Van ends.jpg

• 4 years later...
On 27/3/2016 at 8:19 PM, Jawfin said:

And composite GSWR 907 from 1889, built by the WLWR, w/1949. Any idea of its original No.? It's in Halfway, Cork, along with one of the four remaining CSET Rustons, a beet wagon, a wagon body, and a brake van.

GSWR 907.jpg

Not my pic

What a rotten coach…must be scrapped now 😉

7 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I’m the one going mad. I can see this CIE roundel as clear as day now, yet I couldn’t in 2016!

Has a pair of reading glasses been purchased since?!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I’m the one going mad. I can see this CIE roundel as clear as day now, yet I couldn’t in 2016!

Eyesight improving in the span of 7(!) years isn't a bad thing...

Whatever the hell it is, it's still out in the field, though I haven't inspected it in a good long time.

An old H van isn't far from it, though riddled with shot at either end... practising for crows, apparently.

• Like 1