Train wreck - RIP BBC Top Gear - Total Rubbish

Rate this topic

Noel

How did the producers not see that train wreck coming down the tracks prior to last nights screening on BBC. :confused:

Some of the media are panning it 'Flop Gear' this morning, but that almost seems too kind - it was total and utter rubbish. CE's high pitched stage voice was so irritating and unnatural. He is better than that.

IMHO, it was nearing its sell by date anyway before the entertaining 'ego' got fired last year.

It's been poor for a while but I watched it last night. Take Evans out of it (who was shockingly bad) and it was pretty much the same. Amazing how passionate people are about the show. Don't think many shows could generate this level of feeling.

Interesting human behavioural patterns alright. I'd forgotten it was even on till I got a hail of WhatsApp's and texts during the afternoon from family and friends suggesting I watch it. It was sooooo boring I actually fell asleep during the stars in cars segment and had to watch it back - waste of time. CE is normally a good media guy, but his high pitched screaming and fast talking really dumbed it down IMHO. I guess a lot of the negativity towards E1 may have been overspill from folk who were angry about JC being let go last year. Some may warm to it a bit when they smooth out the edges, but IMHO it needs a major overhaul, not just edge smoothing. It'll probably get canned at the end of this season.

Just got rid of my proxy server too, so won't be bothering to watch Amazon Prime's 'Grand Tour' show either when it airs in the autumn with the 3 ageing amigos. :)

Edited by Noel

I recorded it, and will give it a look tonight. I wouldn't be a fan of Chris Evans either.

The car shows I tend to go for a lot more are the likes of Car SOS or Wheeler Dealers, where a regular car is brought back from being in a sorry state, to full health

I recorded it' date=' and will give it a look tonight. I wouldn't be a fan of Chris Evans either. The car shows I tend to go for a lot more are the likes of Car SOS or Wheeler Dealers, where a regular car is brought back from being in a sorry state, to full health[/quote']

Really enjoy wheeler dealers, Edd China is excellent. Also don't miss jay lenos garage on YouTube. New video every Monday. Mind you I like the older stuff, rather than the latest neon coloured, carbon fibre anatomy attachments that top gear et al usually feature!

Interesting human behavioural patterns alright. I'd forgotten it was even on till I got a hail of WhatsApp's and texts during the afternoon from family and friends suggesting I watch it. It was sooooo boring I actually fell asleep during the stars in cars segment and had to watch it back - waste of time. CE is normally a good media guy' date=' but his high pitched screaming and fast talking really dumbed it down IMHO. I guess a lot of the negativity towards E1 may have been overspill from folk who were angry about JC being let go last year. Some may warm to it a bit when they smooth out the edges, but IMHO it needs a major overhaul, not just edge smoothing. It'll probably get canned at the end of this season. Just got rid of my proxy server too, so won't be bothering to watch Amazon Prime's 'Grand Tour' show either when it airs in the autumn with the 3 ageing amigos. :)[/quote']

The stars in the resonably priced car was really the worst bit. Interviews were awful, which should've been a strong point for Chris Evans. The lap footage looked painfully slow, but the rallycross idea is a good one!

The stars in the resonably priced car was really the worst bit. Interviews were awful, which should've been a strong point for Chris Evans. The lap footage looked painfully slow, but the rallycross idea is a good one!

Agree - it may improve with time, but I'm not hugely optimistic. CE needs to calm down and give a more subtle delivery worthy of his talent.

Mr cantankerous here, but am I the only person who thinks that the only competition ever to take place on that programme was "who is the bigger, and less watchable utter moron"? - Evans or Clarkson?

Both insufferably irritating giant ego people.

Never watched it, always thought it was a load of rubbish presented by attention-seeking know-alls....

Rant over.

Mr cantankerous here, but am I the only person who thinks that the only competition ever to take place on that programme was "who is the bigger, and less watchable utter moron"? - Evans or Clarkson?

Both insufferably irritating giant ego people.

Never watched it, always thought it was a load of rubbish presented by attention-seeking know-alls....

Rant over.

Yes I tend to agree, but Clarkson was at times at least entertaining being an "insufferably irritating giant ego" and an "attention-seeking know-all". The Boris Johnson of motor journalism.

Anyway after seeing part of episode two, I doubt TG will be around for another season - It is dead in the water. :)

PS: And I'm not expecting 'The Grand Tour' to be much better. All well past their sell by date.

Edited by Noel

Yes I tend to agree' date=' but Clarkson was at times at least entertaining being an "insufferably irritating giant ego" and an "attention-seeking know-all". The Boris Johnson of motor journalism. Anyway after seeing part of episode two, I doubt TG will be around for another season - It is dead in the water. :) PS: And I'm not expecting 'The Grand Tour' to be much better. All well past their sell by date.[/quote']

Actually thought the second episode was much improved. Think it has a way to go but all is not lost. Whatever happens I hope the hyperbole and online wallowing on social networks dies down. Though I have my doubts!