Layout Wiring

Rate this question

GNRi1959

Question

I am considering sending a layout drawing to Peco Technical Advice for wiring advice but wondered if there was anyone on the forum who is equally familiar with the wiring expertise, who would be willing to help.

I have a drawing with all Peco points shown.

Any takers?

This is an excellent method, I have been trying to solder my cable to the side of the rails and it has been so hard!

Thanks

While a little heavier duty than needed, the stiffness of the wire, especially when tinned, meant I could bend it to shape and use the wire itself to press against the rail underside while applying the iron. it takes a little time and patience, but with practice provides an excellent electrical link, while being practically invisible once the track is ballasted.

It does take practice :)

The key is to tin the wire in advance (melt a little solder over the strands)

Then clean the area on the track with a small file or fiber glass pencil. Then a drop of flux and place the solder on the rail, then apply a touch of the iron. You should end up with a neat blob of solder on the rail underside.

Then place the tinned wire on the blob, a momentary touch of the iron and the wire should 'slip' into the blob, creating a (neat) join.

I used to solder my cables to the side of the rail after track laying, as Stephen says, tin the wire first and then bend to shape, then heat the rail a little with the iron (i.e. so you don't melt the sleeper shoes) and then rest the wire in shape against the rail so it doesn't need to be held in place by hand and apply iron and you get an immediate fix with minimal solder. The joint can be painted over afterwards, but on our layout you can hardly notice them. Might not work with N gauge as ours was 00 so a little more room to work with. The other option is to do it under fish plates and then just slide the fishplates onto the track join. Then the soldering can be done remotely from the layout (i.e. on workbench)

Edited by Noel

In the past I soldered electrical cabling after track laying.

1. drill board
  2. strip 10mm insulation from wire
  3. tin the end of the stripped wire with solder
  4. push through baseboard hole
  5. bend wire to shape so it pushes against side of rail in tension by itself (i.e. no hands needed)
  6. pre-heat rail with soldering iron (careful not to over do it and melt sleepers or chairs)
  7. solder wire to outside of rail
  8. optional - if needed file off any surplus solder that may protrude above rail
  9. optional - paint visible wires dirt brown

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

Edited by Noel

The best approach is to tin both the wire and the rail. Then merely bring the wire to the rail and touch the iron to the two. The function of the iron is to bring heat to the joint and not solder.

with flat bottom , you can also drill the under side with a 0.7mm drill and placed the wire in that and solder, make an invisible connection. I use etched droppers ( Platine models ) available from the scalefour society.

Many ways to achieve the same thing

the key to good soldering is that you bring the heat first and then apply the solder to the heated joint

Thank you all for your help and guidance on this topic. I tried for three days and was making a real mess so I opted for the Peco powered joiners and fitted all of them tonight, hassle free. All I need to do now is wire underneath to my DPDT switches and we're hopefully ready to test all lines and sidings!

Got a bit more done this evening. Connected all power feed joiners to main wiring under baseboard and installed wires and diodes to connect to Gaugemaster shuttle controller. Managed to wire my first DPDT switch to shuttle controller and I'm listening to the sound of my first loco on the track. Tomorrow afternoon, all being well I can connect the rest of the circuit!

Edited by TonyMcGartland