Scratch building GNR(i) wagons

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

Might be as easy making them out of very thin plastic. What I used to do, moon ago, is jab what would become the back of the strapping, i.e. the side next to the wood, with a sharp point (like a maths divider instrument), so that when the other way up it showed a small "bump" for the rivet. The divider thing had to be blunt or it would go through it. Worked adequately, though I am afraiod I've no photo to show what it looked like, as I sold off the wagons 25 years ago...

If I were to scratch build some Irish rolling stock is it possible to buy metal strapping with proper bolt heads showing in 00 gauge?

Yes, a company called Mainly Trains used to do this for excellent value for money, but unfortunately that have closed down now. However you can by a Bill Bedford version albeit slightly more expensive and you get a lot less. I'll get a link for you now.

I am not sure why you are considering scratch building when most of the common GNR & CIE wagons are available in kit form or RTR.

Provincial Wagons produce some very nice kits and rtr models of GNR (I) wagons including the standard covered van, cattle wagon, 30t brake and bread container wagons. The CIE H van & Corrugated Opens are also available http://www.provincialwagons.com/2.html.

SSM (Weshty) of this parish produces a nice whitemetal model of the standard wooden framed open wagon used by the GNR & GSR/CIE http://www.studio-scale-models.com/Freight.shtml#

Please excuse my ignorance of Irish GNR wagon detail but is this wagon chassis and brakes not something close to Irish? The wheelbase is only 8'6" but in terms of scale thats just 1.99mm of a difference.

Unless there is something terribly wrong, that I don't see, would this be a pretty good starting point for a scratch built wagon?

OR76MW4001-Oxford-Rail-OO-Gauge-4-Plank-Wagon.jpg

Edited by TonyMcGartland

I'm out and about without my glasses so I can't see the number of planks, but apart from the sides looking a bit high it looks ok.

A repaint would do the trick unless you're very particular. Slightly darker grey chassis, wheels & buffers included, with GNR lettering or flying snail. And lots of weathering, especially brake dust on the chassis!

Please excuse my ignorance of Irish GNR wagon detail but is this wagon chassis and brakes not something close to Irish? The wheelbase is only 8'6" but in terms of scale thats just 1.99mm of a difference.

Unless there is something terribly wrong, that I don't see, would this be a pretty good starting point for a scratch built wagon?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26694[/ATTACH]

If that's an oxford rail wagon it does have a resemblance to a GNRi wagon - I've reliveried a few myself. Biggest difference I think is the end door and some diagonal strapping on the sides.... not bad though and helps to build a train....!

Cheers for now.

Richard.