Sign in to follow this  
heirflick

WAGON INFO

Rate this topic

Hi lads - can anyone give a bit of info on this wagon and what was it originally used for ?  Sorry I cant get a better picture of it.

20181129_114246.jpg

• Like 1

Smuggling migrants from Mullingar to Port Laoise.

I did see a discussion about it somewhere a few weeks ago, but I can't remember the outcome, hopefully somebody else was paying more attention.

• Thanks 1

I think this was one of the prototype  high cacpacity beet wagons, cannot find it in books to hand so it might have got a mention in a video or magazine , pretty certain it was a one off but no idea of number. IIRC also built on a container flat.   

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Broithe said:

Smuggling migrants from Mullingar to Port Laoise.

Ah Jaysus Jim - the journey was bad enough without rerouting them to Dublin or Athlone back then before getting here!!!:rolleyes:

• Like 1

I have seen it in 2 or 3 videos of the beet trains going back to 2004/05 but there was only ever one in the rake, so more than likely it was the same wagon in all footage. As Robert has suggested above a one off. 

Edited by jason brady
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Robert Shrives said:

I think this was one of the prototype  high cacpacity beet wagons, cannot find it in books to hand so it might have got a mention in a video or magazine , pretty certain it was a one off but no idea of number. IIRC also built on a container flat.   

That is my recollection of what I heard, but I did need to hear confirmation from someone else.

I think I saw it in a video discussion.

• Like 1

Dark Blue number 27504 (Might be a digit in front of that!).

It features in the extra bit added on to the latest version of the Markle video "Irish Rail Archive Volume 6 SUGAR BEET UPDATED" This covers 1984 to 2005 with plenty of A Class coverage and also views inside the Beet unloader at Mallow and on top of the loading gantry at Wellington Bridge.

Ernie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

On 11/30/2018 at 9:05 AM, Irishswissernie said:

It features in the extra bit added on to the latest version of the Markle video "Irish Rail Archive Volume 6 SUGAR BEET UPDATED"

Having just watched this video I can say that it is highly recommended! Screenshot from the video:

beet.png.f6b769248c7693363f54e422e0d7c47a.png

• Like 5