? is there an alternative to murphy models mk or craven coach bogies?

Rate this topic

WaYSidE

i understand from marksmodels, they cant get replacement bogies for damaged clip pins( or what ever they are called,,)on MURPHY MODELS BOGIES, is there an alternative,, ???

some bogies online seem to have the wee tab like pins on the top of the shaft, like the ones that clips into the murphys carriage base, but me's thinks there shorter bogies and also not same height.  https://www.petersspares.com/hornby-x9723-maunsell-coach-bogie-pk1-with-wheels.ir or   https://www.petersspares.com/hornby-s9926-gresley-coach-bogie-frame.ir 

theres other too...any ideas??  other than using bolt n nuts..which will be my last resort

we also have a damaged lima model...need bogies for that too.

yes we have two children under 12 who play with the trains and managed to floor a 071 at full speed,  but it was the adults, their friends and a nasty online seller who are at fault with the bogies. does this come off? it does but now it wont go back on...

Sadly it's the plastic. Some of the "clip pins" are designed only to go once into the hole, and if you remove them any way robustly, you'll see the joint goes white where it meets the bogie frame. The lima plastic was the "hobnob" of bogie mounts, to butcher a Peter Kay sketch. You could whip those bogies on and off without stress. 

Also, neither of the suggestions above would be appropriate for a craven  - you'd need a B4 Bogie, (a B5 isn't available, I know lads... 😛 )

Some of the older MK2 coaches on ebay have them underneath, but it's 1 in 50 sometimes with other variants. I've never thought about transplanting an Airfix bogie onto a Craven Coach, and it may not even work, but I'll check it out next time I'm in the workshop. 

R. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Glenderg said:

Sadly it's the plastic. Some of the "clip pins" are designed only to go once into the hole, and if you remove them any way robustly, you'll see the joint goes white where it meets the bogie frame. The lima plastic was the "hobnob" of bogie mounts, to butcher a Peter Kay sketch. You could whip those bogies on and off without stress. 

Also, neither of the suggestions above would be appropriate for a craven  - you'd need a B4 Bogie, (a B5 isn't available, I know lads... 😛 )

Some of the older MK2 coaches on ebay have them underneath, but it's 1 in 50 sometimes with other variants. I've never thought about transplanting an Airfix bogie onto a Craven Coach, and it may not even work, but I'll check it out next time I'm in the workshop. 

R. 

Aye, but it sounds like WaYSidE has a Lima Mk1 in CIE black & tan, not an actual MM Craven... :)

...In which case, WaYSidE, check eBay for Lima B4 bogies, such as this: https://m.ebay.ie/itm/LIMA-BR-MK1-OR-MK2-COACH-B4-BOGIE-ONLY-No-2/142981113290?hash=item214a56a5ca:g:Q4EAAOSwq9RbyjTN&_trkparms=gclientid%3DCLIENT_ID(ebay)&_trksid=p2489528.m4335.l8656

(Although that particular one is overpriced, in my opinion). 

• Like 1

Hi Wayside

Bolt n nut is the best and most economic solution;-

All that's required is a M2 bolt, washer, nut and a bit of time

Cut the broken bayonet parts flush off the bogie frame, epoxy the washer centrally on the underside of the bogie frame, when the epoxy is set hand drill a 2mm hole through the washer and bogie frame- the washer is the drill guide.

Then open out the fixing hole in the chassis bolster downstand (the bit the bogie bayonet used to go into) to approx 4.3mm which is a snug push fit for the nut, push the nut in flush with the bolster base and glue with a small drop of cyano glue, (Tip;- screw a cocktail stick into the nut to hold the nut while inserting it and ensure no glue goes on the threads) when set the bogie can be fitted with the M2 bolt through the washer, smear your nail varnish on the thread before doing so, adjust the screw so the bogie is free to wobble and let the nail varnish set to hold the screw as adjusted... done.

Eoin

1 minute ago, WaYSidE said:

thanks all... i will try Eoins suggestion for the murphy models, its is the Murphy and not the lima you describe, ??

thanks garfield

thanks all...

Yes its the Murphy models that fix is for, though the Lima has a similar bogie bayonet fixing I think, so the same idea could be used maybe with some variation??

Show us a photo of the bogie and underframe of the Lima and I should be able to come up with an idea

Eoin

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Glenderg said:

R. 

B5 bogies?  I used same on GSV 3185: https://www.railroomelectronics.co.uk/Wagon-Coach-Loco-Spares/Replica-Railways/Bogies/Product-82897.aspx

They also sell B4 bogie kits.

Edited by Noel

I have a load of those mid 1970s Lima BR Mk1 CIE coaches. :) Bought them one at a time in W J Owens, 41 main street Bray, as I saved up for them. Owens was one of the best model shops in the state, now sadly gone as Willie retired some years ago. This rake of B&T coaches was my pride and joy until I saw an MM Craven coach.  These are now retired as the layout has a complement of Cravens, Park Royals and Laminate stock as well as some modern era mk2d invasive species :) Not to mention the unmentionables (ie the recent arrival of IR Intercity mk4 coaches).

IMG_9829.jpg

The same coaches photographed about 1975 on my original layout. There are actual wires between those Telegraph poles. :)

IMG_4681.jpg

Here is a pic of the plastic bogie I removed from the BR Mk1 BSK donor used for a GSV conversion. It was easy to replace with the Replica B4/B5 kits with just a slightly larger hole and some styrene spacers needed. Hope this helps.

IMG_9831.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel, thanks for the photos, so some like to make models, others to operate, some to recreate prototypes,  the first lima shot makes me think i should collect 1950 lima coaches, ;) they run so well , i luv em, i use my 3 for testing tracks, but i starting to rthink i shouldn't as they are so 1950s,  if your ever selling please consider me..

you Irish modellers are amazing, the effort you put into helping others on this site,

i have read hundreds of usa, uk web pages, not once did anyone mention, as a saw on a post on IRM, that the wee turnout clips abridge rails on points can corrode or get dirty..,, yous go to the trouble of hosting pictures, crawling the attics for archives, supporting other modellers.

thanks for all this info..

uploading photos is a slow process around here, rural broadband, = on all the time windup copper line,

greetings-card-from-lima-ohio-usa-whose-locomotives-produced-by-the-G3C71R.jpgtelejunior-4-1977-lima-trains-wordpress.jpg?w=431

1 hour ago, murrayec said:

Hi Wayside

It looks like the fix could work on the Lima, but if you could do closer up photos of top & underside of the bogie, and closer up looking down on the chassis socket/bolster I'd be able to see better? - fill the photo frame with the bogie, that close.....

Eoin

will do, uploading photos is wowfully slow, but when i next in office, it be faster

Hi Wayside

Yes there is something wrong with the lens all right?

Though I can see it a bit better- the nut, bolt n washer idea should work like the Craven coach fix, sticking the washer on the underside of the bogie will be a bit fiddly to get it on centre, but it should work- saves buying new bogies... 'I like fixing stuff rather than buying replacements'

Eoin