Irish Railwayana Auctions x2

Rate this topic

WaYSidE

In fairness, a lot of the prices achieved were low - the Kilfree/Ballaghadereen tablet at €170 being a good example - while various assorted bits like those being given away by WaYSideE were overpriced. As for stuff ending up on DoneDeal/Adverts after the last auction - my experience tells me that some resellers made decent killings. There's a big market for Irish railwayana in Britain and with online catalogues/bidding it makes life hard for Irish enthusiasts save those with deep pockets.

BIRR Staff - Copy.PNG

I have a mixed feelings about this side of the hobby, personally I would prefer this stuff to stay in the county where it came from, but on the other hand there is a limited supply of Railwayanna here in the UK, which is not already in someones collection.

While it is great that it get's saved and pasted on to a Museum, sometimes when it ends up in a private collection it is always that much harder to locate it after a few years.

I would like to think that here in the UK most people are now much more educated about such railwayanna and they don't put it in the rubbish bin after someone dies (that said I know it still goes on), I guess what I am saying is while the hardware will get sold, what worries me is if there is any paperwork (which for people like me who do research at a later date) in the collection this tends to end up in the bin when whoever is  selling this thinks it is worth more than it really is and they won't part with it at reasonable cost.

I have a friend whose passion is collecting transport tickets, his collection is not huge, but to him it is worth every penny, but some of his family think it is a waste of time and money. If we had not told his family about them, I am sure they will not get sold but end up in the bin when he dies. 

I guess what we need to do is to make sure that someone else knows what we want to happen to all of this after we have gone.

Colin

Edited by Colin R

Derailed, it was over priced, i was prepared to pay 20.00 but since its one of the few pieces of coal train history that thousands of people will see in castlecomer discovery park coal museum for many years, so penny for penny its well worth it, and the rest will go to good homes.

5 hours ago, DERAILED said:

In fairness, a lot of the prices achieved were low - the Kilfree/Ballaghadereen tablet at €170 being a good example - 

BIRR Staff - Copy.PNG

I would have to say that I’d consider €170 something like double a reasonable price......

I wouldn’t dream of going over €100 for this - it’s not even a staff, nor is it from an exceptionally early closure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DERAILED said:

In fairness, a lot of the prices achieved were low - the Kilfree/Ballaghadereen tablet at €170 being a good example - while various assorted bits like those being given away by WaYSideE were overpriced. As for stuff ending up on DoneDeal/Adverts after the last auction - my experience tells me that some resellers made decent killings. There's a big market for Irish railwayana in Britain and with online catalogues/bidding it makes life hard for Irish enthusiasts save those with deep pockets.

BIRR Staff - Copy.PNG

Not a tablet, no configuration holes to fit into a tablet machine, more like a plate once attached to the end of a staff. As just part of something and not a whole item, it's overpriced for what it is.

A few surprises in the results, overly high and low prices for some things, but low overall compared to what it would make in the UK. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I would have to say that I’d consider €170 something like double a reasonable price......

I wouldn’t dream of going over €100 for this - it’s not even a staff, nor is it from an exceptionally early closure.

You mightn't pay more than €100 but plenty would. It's the top of a staff from a MGWR branch that I haven't seen much else from down the years i.e. it's scarce - closure date has little to do with value. A staff for the branch sold for €360 a while back.

I am out of the railway scene for twenty years now and should have described it as a 'ticket' rather than a tablet - apologies. It was a crude version of the Wise's staff which was used on the Cavan & Leitrim Railway and the Welsh Highland.

WISE.PNG

Edited by DERAILED
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 7:47 PM, jhb171achill said:

A very good gesture of yours, Wayside, to donate such items. A pity that others want big money and then just hoard away...

For what my opinion is worth, I would place them where they're most likely to be seen and enjoyed by those most interested. That would mean for anything GNR, Enniskillen railway museum (Headhunters), for anything BCDR or of general railway interest, Downpatrick, or for other or all stuff the Whitehead Railway Museum.

There are other railway museums about the place too, though I know of two that only open by appointment.

A local museum in a town that some particular arfetact is connected with would be another thing I did personally go for.

The label off the Milltown Malbay staff could go to the West Clare Railway for display at Moyasta.

I would also add the Donegal Railway Center to the list of places to see stuff relating to local railways.But at the moment I am not sure as to how much of this they have on display.

Colin

Something I would like to try and do and that is to collect all the different types of tickets that where sold on the Donegal and Swilly Railways from all the stations to other stations .

This would include both singles and returns for adults, children Animals (Dogs etc) Pushbikes? other goods I think, may have had a different type of ticket,

I should also include 1st, 2nd and 3rd class in the above.

Colin 

Edited by Colin R

• 4 weeks later...

Railwayanna update: Who got what,

Dave got dublin bridge tag, which seemingly is Matt talbot bridge, and he didnt know that, so this newbee felt very smart, he nearly didnt, cos the kids in local school said that the dublin bridge was off the castlecomer dubllin bridge, but the train didnt go near comers dublin bridge,

Eamonn got Enfield to Mullingar East , much to his suprise, it was Seans and tony's suggestion

castlecomer discovery park museum got castlecomer. which is why i bought the lot, they also get athy wolfhill original track plan drawing,

jhb171achill said the Milltown Malbay staff could go to the West Clare Railway for display at Moyasta , so as i often in the fair co, clare and know that spot well, i will drop that down to the lady who lives next door, unless you lot have a personal address or them or know who they are on this site

I am keeping horse n jockey, for some reason esp as its worst condition of all of them

Abbeydorney tag from cash bag,  and castleblaney east goes to Sean, Hells Kitchen Railway Museum & Bar, Main Street, Castlerea. especially as he just told me the Mayo country museum in talks to take his collection, so as i up that way soon, he said drop in, i said only if i get to sit in the A55 cab, which i will do, cos that the one i ordered from IRM, happy days, that will be very nice

thanks all, for the advice...

NEXT, i know where theres 50 km of unused BnM track , does anyone want that ??

• Like 1

Hay Wayside it will depend on the weight of the rail, but if it is the right price and size/ weight, then I am sure you could try and sell it to any one of the British narrow gauge railway groups.

40 or 50lb per yard is what most are looking for

Colin

Edited by Colin R
  • Like 1