Dromahair

Rate this topic

Angus

The MGWR vans have been taken as far as I can go at present, apologies for the photo quality, natural light is hard to come by at this time!

731778850_MGWRvanslettered.thumb.jpg.446822a3a901e77864bfe1d1ea570a3e.jpg

I had some lettering made up using standard fonts, not shaded but I think I can get away that in 2mm. I've included the 5p just for David 🙂

The wording "to run with passenger trains" is almost legible which is a tribute to the printing skills of Rail-tec transfers who produced the lettering. I just need some numbers to match but they are currently out of stock of the ones I need.

Once I have these I can seal the vans and apply some weathering to tone the colours down and blend everything in.

The letter is slightly small (a problem I never thought I'd have in 2mm scale!)

I haven't been able to find any complete pictures of the vans in MGWR days, they do however photobomb a couple of locomotive pictures.

There seems to have been a storage road for these vans behind the turntable at Broadstone.

8 ST PATRICK - Atock MGWR 2-4-0 - built 1870 by Avonside Engine co., Works No.802 - 1890 withdrawn.

Class D - 5 MARS - Atock MGWR Class D 2-4-0 - built 1884 by Broadstone Works - 1910 withdrawn - seen here on Broadstone MPD turntable in about 1898. Class E - Atock 115 ACHILL - MGWR Class E 0-6-0T - built 1893 by Kitson & Co., Works No.3527 - 1925 to GSR No.560, 1932 bunker enlarged for services on Tramore line, 1945 to CIE - 1963 withdrawn - seen here at Broadstone Works.

The horsebox also appears on the famous picture on "wolf Dog" on the turntable (there is a copy of the picture is in David Holman's recent build thread: 

Following these photos I've lightened the grey on the rooves, I'm guessing by early GSR days they wouldn't be so white, I've add the white inner circle on the brake wheel apparent in the first photograph.

I've not included the "to run with passenger trains" wording on the horsebox as I can't see any evidence of it, that said it could easily be obscured in all the shots.

Finally another request, In the box of goodies I was gifted there is an etch for GSWR 101 class, I believe it is shot-down from the current 4mm scale etch sold by Studio Scale Models. The etch has "TMD Models 1995" on it which I believe was a predecessor.

822273103_101etch.thumb.jpg.0051c72e44c975cb5780a4840aae5553.jpg

It is quite a complexed etch and I could really do with some instructions, has anyone got a set I can beg/steal/borrow (or even buy)?

I did try emailing SSM but got no response, in fairness I am not a paying customer and unless they suddenly produce a 2mm scale range am unlikely to be!

Edited by Angus
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 2

58 minutes ago, Angus said:

The MGWR vans have been taken as far as I can go at present, apologies for the photo quality, natural light is hard to come by at this time!

731778850_MGWRvanslettered.thumb.jpg.446822a3a901e77864bfe1d1ea570a3e.jpg

I had some lettering made up using standard fonts, not shaded but I think I can get away that in 2mm. I've included the 5p just for David 🙂

The wording "to run with passenger trains" is almost legible which is a tribute to the printing skills of Rail-tec transfers who produced the lettering. I just need some numbers to match but they are currently out of stock of the ones I need.

Once I have these I can seal the vans and apply some weathering to tone the colours down and blend everything in.

The letter is slightly small (a problem I never thought I'd have in 2mm scale!)

I haven't been able to find any complete pictures of the vans in MGWR days, they do however photobomb a couple of locomotive pictures.

There seems to have been a storage road for these vans behind the turntable at Broadstone.

8 ST PATRICK - Atock MGWR 2-4-0 - built 1870 by Avonside Engine co., Works No.802 - 1890 withdrawn.

Class D - 5 MARS - Atock MGWR Class D 2-4-0 - built 1884 by Broadstone Works - 1910 withdrawn - seen here on Broadstone MPD turntable in about 1898. Class E - Atock 115 ACHILL - MGWR Class E 0-6-0T - built 1893 by Kitson & Co., Works No.3527 - 1925 to GSR No.560, 1932 bunker enlarged for services on Tramore line, 1945 to CIE - 1963 withdrawn - seen here at Broadstone Works.

The horsebox also appears on the famous picture on "wolf Dog" on the turntable (there is a copy of the picture is in David Holman's recent build thread: 

Following these photos I've lightened the grey on the rooves, I'm guessing by early GSR days they wouldn't be so white, I've add the white inner circle on the brake wheel apparent in the first photograph.

I've not included the "to run with passenger trains" wording on the horsebox as I can't see any evidence of it, that said it could easily be obscured in all the shots.

Finally another request, In the box of goodies I was gifted there is an etch for GSWR 101 class, I believe it is shot-down from the current 4mm scale etch sold by Studio Scale Models. The etch has "TMD Models 1995" on it which I believe was a predecessor.

822273103_101etch.thumb.jpg.0051c72e44c975cb5780a4840aae5553.jpg

It is quite a complexed etch and I could really do with some instructions, has anyone got a set I can beg/steal/borrow (or even buy)?

I did try emailing SSM but got no response, in fairness I am not a paying customer and unless they suddenly produce a 2mm scale range am unlikely to be!

I will send you a copy of the SSM/TMD instructions, the kit was originally produced by TMD (Terry McDermott) in 1985.

It also looks like the 2mm J15 fret includes a chassis for a GNR(I) 4-4-2T which could possibly be used under one of the small wheeled GNR 4-4-0s bought by the SLNCR during the 1920s.

• Thanks 1

Believe it or not, the 101 on Belmullet was built from the same etch, blown up to 7mm scale. Amazing to think it was done in three different scales, especially as this was well before the days of CAD. I recorded the build in the workshop thread under the heading 'A tribute to Richard Chown'. Got the kit at Guildex as part of the last remnants of his estate, he's had it since the late 90s and somehow never got round to building it.

In 7mm scale, it was fascinating to build, with some clever ideas to ensure the curved footplate goes together well. Guess it is likely the original 4mm etch was photo enlarged to 7mm scale and if so, Terry's work must have been very accurate as the fit of parts was really good, so going down to 2mm should be fine. Putting it together another matter, but it should make an exquisite model.

Love the 5p picture. I hand lettered mine with a fine nibbed dipping pen, so this is another level entirely!

• Like 3

Thanks both,

Apologies for the late reply, I had the slightly bizarre experience of going into the office today. It has been so long since I used IrishRM on my phone that it no longer recognises me and I couldn't remember my password. 

I'm normally confident enough to tackle most kits without instructions (whilst acknowledging the always help, especially if you actually read them....) but the 101 class etch boggles the mind!

I'm also pleased you've identified the chassis Mayner, I had assumed it was 4-6-0 (or 0-6-4) but hadn't found a prototype with the appropriate wheelbase. Your identification restores my sanity! 

The fact it has potential as a SLNCR engine is a useful bonus!

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Hi Galteemore,

Measuring my platforms they are 52.5mm over the ramps so 105ft.

That's a pretty round number so I guess I've approximated from the 25" to the mile OS map.

There are some errors on the map, none of the building footprints tie in with reality, the platforms seem ok though.

Hope that helps?

Are we about to see a 7mm Dromahair break cover?

Cheers Angus

• Thanks 1

Thanks Angus - that’s really helpful. Sadly I haven’t space for a 7mm Abohill really never mind Dromahair! I have, however, been doing a lot of hard thinking of late, and trying to come up with a modelling proposal that is both sustainable and interesting for me to pursue long term….something will hopefully break cover soon…..it will be SLNC though, that I promise you! 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

Agree David current issue of Railway Bylines has a photo feature on the Lough Swilly. In my article I only used some superb photos from the JJ Smith collection with permission of the Bluebell Museum Railway Archive. Have spent the last few days going through his CDR photos for another project.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nice thread, plenty of interest, have made my own platform out of foam I am impressed by your retain stone at the top,looks very nice., liked the building you made decades ago very nice work, and considering it’s time period top notch. Look forward to seeing more, I like the etched kits,will be interested to see the build come through.

• Like 3

Thanks Jaz,

I moved my stock build over to a thread in the "workbench" section as Dromahair is being built as a small module for a specific competition in July 2022 and will probably have a limited life as a result, although the intention is that some of the structures may live on in a later layout.

The stock build thread is here, albeit I'm embarrassed to find I haven't posted anything since mid July. I tend to model in fits and starts and I can feel the start of my next modelling fit coming on......

I've already started on a C class (first post on that shortly) and I'm on my third attempt at the Dromahair Station building. The first two weren't right so abandoned (Gable ends to narrow, then windows set too low......third time lucky!)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 19/4/2020 at 3:52 PM, Angus said:

Hi jhb171achill,

I think 1934-35ish is definitely the "sweet spot" of my interest. So a bit of back dating at Dromahair is required.

I've also being playing around with Sligo in Templot.

The background map is a bit weird as along its length it is to scale but slightly under scale in width, still it gives a good impression from a first attempt.Most of the pointwork is 1 in 7 but I had to go sharper in the engine yard just to make the trackwork fit.

sligo_-_templot.thumb.jpg.2066b0aee2aa932ac2d7fac84b8bc66e.jpg

The faint outline is the proposed baseboards at just over 9' x 1'6" the two board being connected at an angle to allow for the curve. It's this curve which give the layout a nice feel.

Note, the loading bay spur in front of the station needs extending bit.

I've curved the line down to the Quays back to allow a freight traffic to reverse into the fiddle yard off scene. The reverse curve will be hidden by the trees present in real life.

Anyway, enough dreaming! Prompted by a request for a photo for the 2mm Scale Association's bi-monthly magazine I've finished the horsebox build (still needs paint and decals)

The vents were formed from 0.6mm wire, two lengths being bent to shape and the backs filed to half thickness and the pair soldered together.

It was actually easier than I feared, the harder part was getting the vents mounted in the roof at a similar level and alignment.

Seen here posed on the fledgling Dromahair at the end of the goods bay ready for loading.

1496065592_horsebox10.thumb.jpg.5ea75aba617ff8a4770092aab473ff14.jpg

1353963199_Horsebox11.thumb.jpg.c7f660d972f8b4da9312af61ec5ae7ab.jpg

I'll have to re-do the station sign as it has warped.

I'm now on with the first of the meat vans. I'll post up progress as soon as I have anything worthwhile.

Wow - that is spectacular! The level of detail is amazing!

• Agree 1