Timber Wagons

Rate this question

Mike 84C

Question

Did  CIE or any of its standard gauge constituents run any 4 wheel bolster wagons for carrying timber tree trunks etc? The sort of thing that used to run in permanately coupled pairs on even threes for long loads. i ask because I just got hold of some nice built up models of that type of wagon and cannot recall seeing photos of them in Ireland. Maybe rule 1 applies here!

11 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Did  CIE or any of its standard gauge constituents run any 4 wheel bolster wagons for carrying timber tree trunks etc? The sort of thing that used to run in permanately coupled pairs on even threes for long loads. i ask because I just got hold of some nice built up models of that type of wagon and cannot recall seeing photos of them in Ireland. Maybe rule 1 applies here!

I'm unaware of any on 5'3" or narrow gauge...... I doubt it very much.

There never was a huge forestry industry here, as far as rail was concerned, until comparatively recently.

The wagons in the  Ratio LNWR P.W. wagon set look reasonably close to dropside ballast & single bolster wagons used by by the GSR and the pre-amalgamation companies.  The CIE built a slightly more modern version with a steel underframe and swivel bolster in the 1950s.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Ratio-00-Gauge-Layout-Wagons-Plastic-Kit-No-575-Permanent-Way-4-Wagon-Set/1641654330?iid=312114422905&rt=nc

The Ratio LMS (LNWR) Traffic & Loco wagon set is another source of "close enough" Irish wagons, the kits includes typical Irish single lever brake gear.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Ratio-OO-Gauge-LMS-Traffic-Coal-4-Plank-Wagons-Kit-Okay-Hornby-Bachmann/1851143853?iid=272077805011&rt=nc

• Like 1

Timber traffic appears to have been important at least up to the 1920s, native hardwood from the large estates going out in individual or twin wagons loads rather than today's plantation forestry

There is a story of an emigrant to the UK  who used to load timber at Dunsandle in MGWR days,  finding work on the  Liverpool Docks unloading timber from the same estate in County Galway

I remember seeing a lone CIE single bolster wagon possibly the last of its kind in the Point Yard in the early 1980s.

The Midland & the Cavan and Leitrim appear to have used single bolster wagons for timber.

I would imagine that CIE would have tended to use ex-CBSCR & GS(W)R wagons in West Cork though the odd foreign wagon might have crept in, after all there is a photo of an up goods arriving at Drimoleague Junction with a GNR brake van at the rear.

1888348725_GNRBogieTimberWagon10062019.thumb.jpg.c57bf150936bacd73ff510982b3f27da.jpg

1058655437_GNRTimberTwin191510062019.thumb.jpg.8e49203c8c1574cab0ec88a612055ad4.jpg

1721796664_GNRTimberTwin192110062019.thumb.jpg.53453d478d2186e8f2b3449859e4080e.jpg

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 2