A Class Pre Production First Look!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

20 minutes ago, spudfan said:

If any of you lads up in the IRM Tower headquarters have been feeling poorly lately i.e. lots of stabbing pain in the arms, legs and torso well I am afraid it is my fault. The wife happened to see my proposed purchases in my shopping cart and went away and got some dolls from the attic. One now sports a cardboard name tag which says "That crowd up in IRM Towers". She has been dutifully sticking pins into the aforementioned doll.

I feel your pain!!!😂

• Funny 1

Looks incredible guys. One would almost like to buy such an unpainted pre-production model as a collectors item. It looks fabulous. You guys might set up a sort of IRM history museum display case in HQ with all the various pre-production samples on display.

"Well what do you want the money for?"

"It is for a rescue fund. IRM Headquarters has been taken over by terrorists and the lads inside are been held to ransome. So I am ordering some locos as a contribution to the ransome being demanded by the terrorists. Look it is on the news."

"That looks like Bruce Willis in a dirty white vest".

"No it doesn't. It is an undercover Garda in rescue mode..."

Damn, wives are sharp......

Edited by spudfan
  • Funny 1

I find saying nothing at all and a parcelmotel account to be most effective......

"Where did that come from"

"Shure i've had that for years.....must have been underneath those boxes over there ...shure ye keep tellin me my den is a kip"....etc etc and so on......

she'll totally guilt you in some extravagance for her in the end....they always do 😄

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 2:58 AM, Mayner said:

General Motors had already laid the groundwork in the 1950s re-powering Alco and other less satisfactory diesel locomotives with EMD power units in the United States.

While General Motors locos had a reputation of being reliable and trouble free, Alco and other American loco builders struggled with reliability and maintenance problems similar to the British builders into the late 1950s.

Like the Crossleys early post War Alco diesels suffered from engine problems but had a very good electrical system (possibly an association between GEC (USA) Westinghouse & Metropolitan Vickers).

While CIE retained the existing electrical and control system during the re-builds, the cooling system appears to have been upgraded for the new power units most likely in response to problems experienced  with re-powered locos in the United States.

The cooling systems in the Crossleys had separate engine water and engine oil cooling sections. When rebuilt, an EMD oil cooler was put in (heat exchanger between engine oil and water), so the radiators became all water.  With the increase in engine size, the number of radiator elements on the C class was increased.

The C class retained its load regulator, but got EMD motor field shunt contactors, and various EMD electrical relays, pressure switches and air brake valves. The A got an EMD load regulator.

• Informative 1