Nostalgia Gold

Rate this topic

Noel

The Golden Era of Ireland's railways. The line feathered on this is now a greenway. :) Excellent though it is would prefer to seem summer rail traffic running out to Dungarvan, even a hideous tram would be better than a greenway (ie 22k). Speeds looked rather high in sections of the video, even going over some of the viaducts.

• Like 4
  • Angry 1

12 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

The train featured at 2:30 seems unusually long for this service - I wonder was there a story behind it?  And at 6:12 onwards, we seem to have a B101 hauling a presumably deceased "C"!

A superb video.

Is it a deceased C or a broke down B113 Sulzer (Dalek)? I've always wondered about those two locos. The goods train at 6:30 is pure CIE nostalgia gold, nothing RTR for those trains that dominated the network for half a century. Love the luggage van at the end. Brake vans had to be vigilant and work hard on such long loose coupled goods trains. A decent speed too for a longish loose coupled formation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Holman said:

Full of fine details for us modellers and some very smart work on the level crossing too.

Yes did you notice the cheeky impatient driver of the classic old merc, trying to push past the traffic as the gates are manually opened. Apparently it was the longest level crossing in these islands. Having cycled it last year I was astonished how long it was and how on earth gate keepers managed to control traffic while one gate was manually closed, before the other gate was also closed.

Edited by Noel

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

The train featured at 2:30 seems unusually long for this service - I wonder was there a story behind it?  

Cork won the 1966 All Ireland, and the first round of the subsequent championship for Cork was against Waterford in 4th June 1967 in Fitzgerald Park, as the train is heading north. I wonder if it was a GAA Special for that match? Throw-in would have been at 3:30? 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

11 minutes ago, Glenderg said:

Cork won the 1966 All Ireland, and the first round of the subsequent championship for Cork was against Waterford in 4th June 1967 in Fitzgerald Park, as the train is heading north. I wonder if it was a GAA Special for that match? Throw-in would have been at 3:30? 

Here you go a GAA special bound for Waterford

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Noel said:

Yes did you notice the cheeky impatient driver of the classic old merc, trying to push past the traffic as the gates are manually opened. Apparently it was the longest level crossing in these islands. Having cycled it last year I was astonished how long it was and how on earth gate keepers managed to control traffic while one gate was manually closed, before the other gate was also closed.

Saw that, yes!

I have always been fascinated by the Waterford-Mallow line since I first saw the section of line along the coast near Ballyvoyle and the causeway level crossing in Dungarvan in 1965-66 during a family road trip from Dublin to Cork via Waterford. I didn't see any trains on the Dungarvan line, but had the bonus of seeing (to me) a long goods train heading north along Wexford quay and staying in a guest house on Glanmire Road across from the City Railway.

The passenger service was typically sparse with a single scheduled return passenger working between Cork & Waterford apparently worked by a Waterford based crew and single train set. The Rosslare Express operated 3 days weekly T,Th,S with a morning departure from Rosslare and an evening departure from Cork.

Goods services were a little more intensive with one goods train in each direction daily between Mallow & Waterford scheduled to cross at Cappoquin and a daily return goods train between Waterford & Dungarvan. Goods traffic was sparse on the central section of the line between Dungarvan and Fermoy and heaviest between over the difficult heavily graded section between Dungarvan & Waterford.

The Waterford-Mallow line closed to passenger and good services on 27th March 1967, so unlikely to be running in connection with the 4th June match between Cork & Waterford, its possible that the passenger train at 2:30 may be the Rosslare Express carrying peak summer holiday traffic or strengthened for another purpose.

The Rosslare Express was mainly worked by Woolwich Moguls with the small wheeled Coey D4 on the Waterford passenger train and J15 on the goods. The B111 class took over passenger and goods working following dieselisation up to the arrival of the B121 Class. The Sulzers were well thought of because of the power, reliability and good traction and braking with their A1A A1A wheel arrangement over a challening route.

The C Class on the double headed goods may have been for shunting at Dungarvan before a Dungarvan-Waterford goods with the B111 continuing on the Mallow.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mayner said:

I have always been fascinated by the Waterford-Mallow line ...................................

The Waterford-Mallow line closed to passenger and good services on 27th March 1967, ...................

The Rosslare Express was mainly worked by Woolwich Moguls with the small wheeled Coey D4 on the Waterford passenger train and J15 on the goods. The B111 class took over passenger and goods working following dieselisation up to the arrival of the B121 Class. The Sulzers were well thought of because of the power, reliability and good traction and braking with their A1A A1A wheel arrangement over a challening route.

The C Class on the double headed goods may have been for shunting at Dungarvan before a Dungarvan-Waterford goods with the B111 continuing on the Mallow.

There can be few lines other than the main line which saw B101, B121, B141, A & C classes in that period. It seems that the AEC cars weren't regulars there either, unless I'm mistaken?

All in all, then, an excellent candidate for a layout.....

On 2/20/2020 at 12:45 PM, Noel said:

Is it a deceased C or a broke down B113 Sulzer (Dalek)? I've always wondered about those two locos.

Love the luggage van at the end. Brake vans had to be vigilant and work hard on such long loose coupled goods trains

I have seen this video may time and its a great one. Some of the most interesting rolling stock although sadly at the time it was shot I was not. More the pity. I do remember this rolling stock a little later on school trips etc.

The C Class is nearest the train and would have been the loco in need of a heart transplant which happened to all A and C class in the very late 60s/early 70s if it is not being doubled headed. The Sulzer would have been the stronger and more reliable locomotive at that time.

I don't believe that those two could work in multiple however?

It's odd that I seem to associate that luggage/parcel van (probably a 2549, or earlier series) with passenger stock. Was it there for parcels or additional bake capacity on such a heavy freight?

Edited by DiveController

15 minutes ago, DiveController said:

I have seen this video may time and its a great one. Some of the most interesting rolling stock although sadly at the time it was shot I was not. More the pity. I do remember this rolling stock a little later on school trips etc.

The C Class is nearest the train and would have been the loco in need of a heart transplant which happened to all A and C class in the very late 60s/early 70s if it is not being doubled headed. The Sulzer would have been the stronger and more reliable locomotive at that time.

I don't believe that those two could work in multiple however?

It's odd that I seem to associate that luggage/parcel van (probably a 2549, or earlier series) with passenger stock. Was it there for parcels or additional bake capacity on such a heavy freight?

I think the C Class in the double headed goods, may have been worked to Dungarvan in order to shunt the yard and return with a goods train to Waterford rather than as a result of a failure. Goods traffic was heaviest between Waterford and Dungarvan with an afternoon Waterford-Dungarvan-Waterford goods in addition to the daily Waterford-Mallow goods trains. The train may have been double headed with a driver in each loco or been hauled dead in the train, the Sulzers & C Class could not operate in multiple.

The train 32 wagons including vans appears heavy for a single C Class on a steeply graded road and is substantially longer than other goods trains in the video and photos of goods trains. Its possible that the C Class is being worked to Dungarvan on a Waterford-Mallow goods rather than by working a separate Waterford-Dungarvan goods either as a result of a delay to the through goods or it was possible to work the Dungarvan traffic on the earlier train. The luggage van is likely to be carrying parcel traffic marshaled beside the guards van for convenience in dropping off and picking up traffic and minimise damage during shunting

The 1960 working timetable had a daily 07:00 Mallow-Waterford goods with a corresponding 09:40 Waterford-Mallow goods both trains were scheduled to cross at Cappaquin with 8-9 hr running time over the 76 miles of the line. 12:10 Waterford-Dungarvan Goods with 3 hr running time and 5:00 pm Dungarvan-Waterford with 2:25 scheduled running time. 12:10 The Waterford-Dungarvan  had a scheduled 57 minute stop at Kilmacthomas to shunt the yard and cross the Mallow-Waterford Goods.

Goods traffic appears to have been very light between Dungarvan & Fermoy with short goods trains in photos and videos of the line in its final years.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

On 2/20/2020 at 11:40 AM, Noel said:

The Golden Era of Ireland's railways. The line feathered on this is now a greenway. :) Excellent though it is would prefer to seem summer rail traffic running out to Dungarvan, even a hideous tram would be better than a greenway (ie 22k). Speeds looked rather high in sections of the video, even going over some of the viaducts.

Is that a Sulzer or A class hauling a dead C class or are the two locos powered towards the end of the video?