Murphy class 111

Rate this question

IANG

Question

18 answers to this question

On 3/5/2020 at 2:36 PM, IANG said:

This is the part what's gone could somebody explain what it is and where I'd get another one 

inbound2092121632996382648.jpg

The part circled needs to be installed when running on DC, or it needs to be removed and replaced with a digital decoder when running on DCC. Make sure it is installed correctly and is in contact with all the pins. There is a right way and a wrong way to put it in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IANG said:

Does anybody know where I can get a replacement or what to do now as I have a non runner.

Can I just bypass this and wire a decoder to the motor? 

inbound625734447496868432.jpg

Ian could you please gives us a little more info.

1. was the loco running ok on DC or DCC?
  2. Is the item in the photo the DCC blanking pub that plugs into the locos main PCB? and why do you think it needs replacing?
  3. Would not recommend wiring decoder directly to a Murphy Model loco. The onboard PCB has all the logic for controlling the lights, etc, which you'd lose.
  4. Are any of the pins sticking up from the 21pin plug on the main PCB bent?
  5. If there is no apparent damage to the main PCB on top of the loco chassis all you need to do is install a 21pin decoder and test it as ADDRESS 3 until you re-program the loco address.
  6. Would you prefer to run the loco on DC or DCC?

Edited by Noel
  • Informative 1

It was running on dc and I was just testing it but I noticed there was another loco on the track so I pulled it up and it hadn't been working since that.

So I gave it to a guy who has a electrical shop he was checking it over with volt meter trying to fault find he thought it might have been a short circuit  and he came back with the decoder socket isnt working from what I understood.

I have asked him again what was wrong to get better idea.

That's photo he sent me

6 hours ago, IANG said:

Is it possible for these to short out ? 

Very unlikely. Are the contacts on the wheel pickups clean? Make sure the blanking plate is plugged in the correct orientation. If I was trying to fault find, the first thing I'd do very very carefully is put the loco on a work bench and supply power directly to the motor using micro croc leads to see if the motor was running ok. Then I'd work back from there and check for any loose connections between motor, the PCB and the PCB and the wheel pickups. The MM071 chassis are very fussy to disassemble and one thing out of place and they won't run. Those blanking plates are almost indestructible. Are you able to run another DC loco on the same section of track work with the same 12v DC controller?

I gave it to a guy in a electrical shop and he did try meter on pick ups nd motor and now I'm not sure what's up waiting for him to get back to me.

Kinda regret giving it now but didnt know what to do was considering giving it to Mark's models but changed my mind after I emailed them looking to buy products they had in thier shop and online and they never responded after I requested a invoice so decided not to.

Jesus, I've seen some of these so called electricians wiring layouts and managing to short the whole thing, I have to re do it for the chap, the leccy still charged him too... dunno if I would of done that myself.

Since Jim is gone to the Model Railway Club in the sky not too sure who looks after these now?

I take it you are overseas?

• Like 1

No I'm in Ireland.. Ferbane Co.Offaly I'd say I'm only one in entire county west side if it anyway that's interested in model railway. I know there is dave linfield think that's his name in endenderry that's only person I can see that's anywhere near me.

The guy repairs phones and electronics so a mate mine recommended him so I'm holding him half responsible to try sort the mess.

On 3/3/2020 at 9:46 PM, IANG said:

No I'm in Ireland.. Ferbane Co.Offaly I'd say I'm only one in entire county west side if it anyway that's interested in model railway. I know there is dave linfield think that's his name in endenderry that's only person I can see that's anywhere near me.

The guy repairs phones and electronics so a mate mine recommended him so I'm holding him half responsible to try sort the mess.

You're not the buddy of Ray Canole in Cork per chance, Can be to many modellers up that Direction?

When I was in Marks Models a few years there was a Familty from Ferbane that used to come into the shop picking up the odd railway bits?

On 3/5/2020 at 4:04 PM, Georgeconna said:

You're not the buddy of Ray Canole in Cork per chance, Can be to many modellers up that Direction?

When I was in Marks Models a few years there was a Familty from Ferbane that used to come into the shop picking up the odd railway bits?

No couldn't say I do there is non that I'm aware off anyway only that one guy in endenderry and I don't even know him.

I have it back now and the guy who thought he could fix it wants a €10  for diagnosis im still no further informed if what's wrong......anybody know thae process off sending it to Mark's models not unless thiers anybody around about offaly willing to have a look 

1 hour ago, RobertRoche said:

The part circled needs to be installed when running on DC, or it needs to be removed and replaced with a digital decoder when running on DCC. Make sure it is installed correctly and is in contact with all the pins. There is a right way and a wrong way to put it in.

Seemingly this is why loco isn't running on dc it was as you can see from the messages above and then whatever I did it just stopped no power nothing and am completely lost to what is wrong I give it to this guy who is running am electrical shop in athlone called I be fix it he is the one who told me this is what's wrong fisrt he sent me photo of blanking chip then I got my mate to talk to him (because he recommended him) I couldn't get answer of him and he told him this is what is wrong and sent the above photo and now wants €10 for nothing 

Edited by IANG

11 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Return the loco to Murphy Models

He has nothing to do all day long, just sitting on his arse waiting for delivery of the 121's

I spoke with him today and he would be delighted to solve your problem

How do I get it to him .. does he have shop or anything