Jack's workbench

Rate this topic

Jack O'Brien

Hey all,

Due to the corona virus I have a lot of spare time to model.

I'm currently working on a MGWR 12 ton locomotive coal wagon and I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the MGWR timber wagons as there were none in Ernie shepherds book. Any pictures of  other 'unique' wagons like the butter vans or the 40 ton bogie rail wagons. I will post pictures of the coal wagon later. 

• Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 5:34 PM, Jack O'Brien said:

Hey all,

Due to the corona virus I have a lot of spare time to model.

I'm currently working on a MGWR 12 ton locomotive coal wagon and I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the MGWR timber wagons as there were none in Ernie shepherds book. Any pictures of  other 'unique' wagons like the butter vans or the 40 ton bogie rail wagons. I will post pictures of the coal wagon later. 

I'm just starting a scratch build of one (or two) 7ton Loco Coal wagons, so I'm looking forward to seeing your progress with this project and the hopper wagon.

With kind regards,

Mark

54 minutes ago, Jack O'Brien said:

Can anyone tell me what this was used for on the hoppers and was there another one at the other end 158810192533411427539.thumb.jpg.2d9c8f72dec85bc2a1eec875afadac3f.jpg

The MGWR always had an eye for a bargain. They bought a set of these ballast wagons as a job lot, but only two had this compartment, thus - while such things were common in mainland Europe - they were unique in Ireland. One went at each end of the set of wagons.

In Ireland a separate guard's van was used. I wouldn't fancy being a ballast guard travelling in a thing like that through a winter rainstorm on a hard frost morning in rural Co. Sligo! I'm sure the men would have refused to work them.

They were built in Belgium originally for a Spanish line, hence the broad gauge dimensions, which would have taken little tweaking here.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 10:09 AM, Midland Man said:

They were used for coal a balast and probally withdrawn when CIE got the GNRI balast wagons.

MM

The Belgian hopper wagons were bought mainly for use on North Wall-Broadstone loco coal trains, although 2 were allocated to the p.w the p.w. dept the MGWR already had a hopper ballast train and plough brakes dating from the easrly 1900 similar to the GSWR & GNR. The MGWR re-organised its p.w. department to work with the new Bretland re-laying train in the 1920s and sold 15 ballast hoppers and two plough vans to the DSER before the amalgamation.

There is a 1939 Charles S Bayer photo of 591 approaching Liffey Junction from North Wall  train of 8 laden coal hoppers and a goods brake van in the IRRS London Area publication Irish Railways in Pictures no2. "The Midland Great Western line" , 591 was recorded as making "very labored progress" with the heavy train on a steeply graded section of line.

CIE appears to have used a motley collection of open and ex GSWR hoppers on Broadstone loco coal trains during the 1950s. http://catalogue.nli.ie/Search/Results?lookfor=broadstone&type=AllFields&submit=FIND

• Informative 2

• 7 months later...