SLIP coaches

Rate this topic

K801

Yes - eclectic ! Nice shot of some bread vans and a U with fine GN stock. Tell us more about the NG slip please ? B and L was my ‘local’ 3’ gauge and my father-in-law remembers its final days very well - I think the NG yard at Larne was an unofficial local playground at weekends!

There was a slip coach operation from 1908 that appeared to have ended and never resumed after WW1. The morning train at 07.55 connecting with the ferry from Larne Harbour would slip a mail van at Larne Town NG to give the Ballymena train a charge at Inver bank!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dublin & Kingstown Railway operated a slip train system into Kingstown Station!

Due to the time taken in turning a loco first and then it's tender on the original 10' table at the end of the line in the station, and with the later construction of the Carlisle Pier, the directors decided to pay for a larger table to be constructed at the foot of the pier, one that would turn the loco & tender in the one go, so the engine then would disconnect from the train just before the station and go off to turn around, the train would coast into the station with the tracks inclined aiding the breaking of the train at the platform.....

Eoin

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

14 hours ago, airfixfan said:

Nice film of UTA steam to illustrate slip coaches on the Dublin -Cork line even including a Jeep hauling a failed MPD set! No mention of the only NG slip coach on the Ballymena and Larne.

Culled from the Midland Publishing "Irish Miscellany" Volume One video... Interesting about that NG slip.... At one time or another 'Slipping' on the GNR(I) was carried out at Malahide, Skerries, Drogheda, Goraghwood and Lisburn.