1/32 Scale Mountfleet Round Table Minesweeper

Rate this topic

Hi Folks,

Kinda wanted a rest from Modelling due to many failures with painting and Family taking up a lot of my time but the big 50 hit the other week and the folks kindly bought me this as a pressie. The ol fella prefers giving something physical than cash. (would of been handy for A Class or 6!)

Any way the yoke is big, Maybe too big but I'll give it a go. I need to plan this one carefully due to limited access with the narrow superstructure so that presents a fairly big challenge along with quite a bit extra to buy to get it over the line.

For a start I've run some P38 car filler around the Bulwarks and these need to be sanded smooth at some stage when I can be bothered to go shopping for Sand Paper.

Pictures below in the sitting room, no comments about the curtains please Dave.

Cheers 

George

IMG_6254.JPG

IMG_6255.JPG

IMG_6256.JPG

IMG_6257.JPG

IMG_6258.JPG

IMG_6259.JPG

IMG_6260.JPG

IMG_6261.JPG

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 4
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to kick this into gear over the past 2 weeks, P38 car filler used around the Bulwarks and sanded smooth, the Deck drainage holes and the prop shaft hole  drilled and filed out, the Skeg and rudder are put on and fill used to blend the whole lot in and again sanded along with the white metal rope and Anchor eyes. Now waiting for a motor and universal coupling to arrive in the post and I can set the prop shaft in for good.

IMG_6307.JPG

IMG_6308.JPG

IMG_6310.JPG

IMG_6336.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Rumbling along on this one, most of the work being done outside as the model is so big.

Deck supports mostly in, Motor and shaft Secured, Battery and weight tray has been made, I will be able to slide batteries along this using the guides on each side.

Deck and superstructure just plonked on for a test fit. Note the 071 for Size comparison

IMG_6441.JPG

IMG_6442.JPG

IMG_6443.JPG

IMG_6436.JPG

IMG_6437.JPG

IMG_6438.JPG

IMG_6439.JPG

IMG_6440.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lads,

while me 121 is busy running in I thought I might update this.

Tipping along on this one and I noticed that the hull is not symmetrical, there is a about a 5mm difference and you can see this here with the ruler, after some thought I decided to re profile one side with a file to it would be square to the other. being a boat and you can only see one side the difference should not be too noticeable, not much I can do about it any how.

I was just about to cut the access hatch for the main deck bit also notice on side of the fiberglass superstructure is splayed out about 4mm, I will have to think about how to fix this now next, Will it be surgery or a simple brace but I will have a combing in place so a brace may not be possible. Arse anyway,

IMG_6618.JPG

IMG_6621 (2).JPG

IMG_6621.JPG

IMG_6622.JPG

IMG_6626 (2).JPG

IMG_6630 (2).JPG

IMG_6627 (2).JPG

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still Waiting for the Sound unit so the deck cant be glue down,

The Compass deck is mostly built, Need to put on another coat of paint and the windows and doors, The  bridge about is made up along with the Bilge keels.  White strips on side of hull, The plans along are 12ft long!

The Font Gun platform Railings went on during the week.

Some little issues when you cut out the printed sections and make them the end result ends up wrong, IE the Flag box  on the green platform is too small and should but up against metal hand rails so will have to cut out and built correctly.

Time to get the Gluhwein out. Tis Cold enough Brrrr.

IMG_6851.JPG

IMG_6852.JPG

IMG_6853.JPG

IMG_6854.JPG

IMG_6855.JPG

IMG_6856.JPG

IMG_6857.JPG

IMG_6858.JPG

IMG_6859.JPG

• Like 8
  • WOW! 1

• 1 month later...

Not quite hitting the quite yet, Still waiting to stick the decks down as I am waiting for the sound unit for the past 3 months 

Also it been flipping Baltic in the shed these past weeks so not even venturing out much. Bit Mild last night so managed to escape and spent 1.5 hours soldering up the 1 life belt rack, Brass rod cut up to 25mm lengths  and white metal top and base. Wooden top to be cut next. The Lifebelts go in between the brass rods.

IMG_7043.thumb.JPG.04c8832c0df5d74c22df1dd3f565496b.JPG

IMG_7045.JPG

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

Slowly working away on this now the nights are a bit warmer!

Tried a few different grey paint on this one and will settle of the grey shown here. I have put down a floor and scribed the floor boards on the ply and the Steering wheel and Steam powered wheel is installed and I will add some details in the wheel house walls to add a bit of interest not that there was much in there anyhow!

The Hand Rails took flipping ages to get right, Lots of curves and bends plus the White metal handrails were pretty badly molded. A new Flag locker was made as the one laid out on the plans was too small.

I either did not get the white metal steering arm or lost it so a plastic one was attached to the Rudder post, Hope it holds!

The Searchlight platform was also constructed.

IMG_7077.JPG

IMG_7078.JPG

IMG_7079.JPG

IMG_7080.JPG

IMG_7081.JPG

IMG_7082.JPG

IMG_7083.JPG

IMG_7084.JPG

IMG_7085.JPG

IMG_7086.JPG

IMG_7087.JPG

• Like 6
  • WOW! 4

19 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Nice work George - what material is gun tub made out of ? 

Gun Tub is Styrene Galtemore, Quite pleased on how it turned out TBH! Here are some more pics showing the stowage boxs and the Companion ways build, Sealed and sanded ready for a splash of colour. Its starting to look a bit busy now!

IMG_7097.JPG

IMG_7098.JPG

IMG_7099.JPG

• Like 6

Some bits came through from Blighty today, No Customs so managed to save 20 notes! Speaker, Relay switch of the Searchlight, Power board and a variable speed Fan unit. Got a nice surprise from Marks Models to, Will be having this with a cuppa at 9PM

Also the grab rails and Stanchions with handrails were done for the gun tub. 

IMG_7104.JPG

IMG_7105.JPG

IMG_7107.JPG

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 8

With a week off managed to tip away between the Garden and the Shed so a good jump in progress.

I had to replace the lost rivets and used snipped Peco track pins for the Rivet heads.

With some consultation and research I have discovered these ships were painted in Home Fleet Grey which was a much darker shade which now makes the ship more sinister and war like! Humbrol 145 was used, initial coat with pre shading done.

IMG_7108.JPG

IMG_7109.JPG

IMG_7110.JPG

IMG_7111.JPG

IMG_7112.JPG

IMG_7113.JPG

IMG_7114.JPG

• Like 5

And the Boat Yard is on O/T this week. Windows in, Gun Platform more or less done

I need to get better cowl vents and the ones supplied are just very poor and too thin to tidy up as per the pics and the hole that has appeared in the one I tried to do.

and the leccy stuff is being worked on and where best to place what is needed where, Although it is s huge hull the batteries and smoke unit take up 

IMG_7119.JPG

IMG_7120.JPG

IMG_7122.JPG

IMG_7123.JPG

IMG_7124.JPG

IMG_7125.JPG

IMG_7126.JPG

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 5
  • WOW! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good Afternoon Gents,

Looking forward to the weekend now!

Still working away on this one, Lots of tidying up with the white metal parts and my order from Cornwall Model Boats arrived with the replacement cowl vents which look fab, I think they look to be 3D printed.

I was hoping to have the sound unit installed but these are not able from Action just yet so I have installed the speaker and I will work on how to install the other wiring but the next big step will be the deck and after placing all the bits n bobs on the deck I noticed something is just not right.......

As per the photo I have the Main Deck Level as the bubble indicates (these are not calibrated BTW!)

Also the Superstructure stuff is not glued on so don't panic! (just yet!)

IMG_7140.JPG

IMG_7141.JPG

IMG_7142.JPG

IMG_7143.JPG

IMG_7144.JPG

IMG_7145.JPG

IMG_7146.JPG

IMG_7147.JPG

IMG_7148.JPG

IMG_7149.JPG

IMG_7150.JPG

IMG_7151.JPG

IMG_7152.JPG

IMG_7153.JPG

IMG_7167.JPG

IMG_7168.JPG

IMG_7169.JPG

IMG_7170.JPG

IMG_7171.JPG

IMG_7172.JPG

• Like 3
  • WOW! 2

Its Alive!!!

Managed to bring down the port hole after lowering the deck, Happy with that.

Leccy were being worked on today before I had to do some garden work and another change in the Receivers where they have an in built button to bind to the transmitter, No more little bind plugs! There is telemetry also on this receiver for 24 quid, Unreal price.

I have run everything through a power board from Action electronics, at first the there was no power, Lots of head scratching before I noticed to on off switch on the speed controller, Ah great, Went to hit that and the switch fell apart, I bared the wires and have power that way for now until I get another better switch.  I'll be making  little tray to hold the Receiver, speed controller and Fan control unit Another step forward now to getting that deck on.

IMG_7176.JPG

IMG_7174.JPG

IMG_7175.JPG

• Like 7

As the Red Arrows say during their display Smoke on Go!

Step up 12 to 24V wizardry installed, Luckily I had a few spare as one or two have gone up in smoke. ran off a 12V battery it steps up the Voltage to run the smoke Generator which runs using water.

Need a tad more pipe though to run this up the funnel.

IMG_7184.JPG

IMG_7187.JPG

IMG_7186.JPG

IMG_7188.JPG

• Like 3

Work in the dockyard continues with some massive step taken, all the wiring is complete internally for the lights in the hull , Superstructure, mice little Prewired LED were installed.

Also work on installing a Bright LED into the Search light and this was completed and tested as well as a Reed switch operated by the transmitter, its not latching so I used the off option with the on happening at the flick of a lever on the tranny. At the rear of the light Silver foil at the back was glued on to give a Mirror appearance.

And finally I plucked up  the courage and decided to stick the deck on used copious amounts of wood glue so the next step will be to probably paint the hull and then to the Deck Armour plating. Flying along here!

IMG_7202.JPG

IMG_7203.JPG

IMG_7204.JPG

IMG_7205.JPG

IMG_7206.JPG

IMG_7207.JPG

IMG_7208.JPG

IMG_7209.JPG

• Like 2

Well that went well except I glued a LED wire under the Deck and a cross beam but that sorted now and the little Light rewired and the LED working under the Bow which will look nice on Sailing a dusk which I have never done!

I then soldered up some White metal and Brass rod for the voice pipes for the Bridge and started on the Binnacle using some 9mm dowl and coffer sticks sanded smooth! Needs to be Paint next.

The Bow plate was also glued down with PVA and Left to Dry and then the edges were filled in with P39 Car Filler and then sanded smooth, Well the front part anyhow.

I need to adjust one of the tall air intake pipes and one seemed to of moved and has set slightly off which is a balls but thems the breaks!

IMG_7215.thumb.JPG.ccb313e72500d9aff08d5dbeee4d1adc.JPG.

IMG_7213.JPG

IMG_7210.JPG

IMG_7214.JPG

IMG_7217.JPG

IMG_7218.JPG

IMG_7219.JPG

• Like 6
  • WOW! 1

Well that went well except I glued a LED wire under the Deck and a cross beam but that sorted now and the little Light rewired and the LED working under the Bow which will look nice on Sailing a dusk which I have never done!

I then soldered up some White metal and Brass rod for the voice pipes for the Bridge and started on the Binnacle using some 9mm dowl and coffer sticks sanded smooth! Needs to be Paint next.

The Bow plate was also glued down with PVA and Left to Dry and then the edges were filled in with P39 Car Filler and then sanded smooth, Well the front part anyhow.

I need to adjust one of the tall air intake pipes and one seemed to of moved and has set slightly off which is a balls but thems the breaks!

IMG_7215.thumb.JPG.ccb313e72500d9aff08d5dbeee4d1adc.JPG.