SL NCR coaches

Rate this topic

Colin R

Hi Guys I have a bit of information which is bugging the hell out of me.

While looking in the book on the above railway by Neil Sprinks, I read a bit about that the Dundalk,Newry and Greennore railway sold them two of there carriages around 1908, fine so far. But I was wondering if anyone had a bit more information as to which two coaches, as etches are available from Worlsey Work in 4mm scale, so I would like to buy the right pair.

I have cross referanced this to DSM Barries book on the DN&GR, but he does not give any details of which one they got.

Colin R

Edited by Colin R

3 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Colin - I suspect these didn’t last long in SLNC service and the only ‘foreign’ coach around near the end was an ex GNR one. My dad thinks that the DNG ones may have been among the stock maliciously destroyed in 22-23. 

Thanks Galteemore that would make a lot of sense, as Neil does go on to say that it was impossible to know for sure, as there was no records of returns until 1947 and only a number had been returned before that, this is modeller licence at its best.

Neil does say that he thinks there where a maximum total of nineteen coaches in use at one time, made up with second hand coaches mainly from GNR (i) origin?       

Edited by Colin R

6 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Micro Rail had a 6 wheel Full Brake & a 3rd LNWR coach kit that was recommended as  DNGR donors
Although the Wolverton built Irish coaches were 6' wider they were very close to the real thing, (#4 - 6 & 14 - 16) 

37602358_MicroRailDNGRCoaches.thumb.JPG.f429331e482b933f2dd44789ea6ba697.JPG

880395786_MicroRailDNGRContents.thumb.JPG.57927f8e9a373a96f2d9fe349dd34d0d.JPG

Hi Wrenneire

They must be a bit old, I have not come across those before, I do know that Worsley work do a brass etch of the DN&GR LNWR 6wheel coaches, which will leave me to find castings, bearings, wheels etc to finish them off.

I think an email to London Road Models is in order, so I can find out what I might need. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Holman said:

Alphagraphix do card kits of many of the Sligo coaches. Ok, they are in 7mm scale, but easily reduced on a printer. At four quid each, they make a good basis for scratchbuilding in plastic.

Hi David I  had an email from Roger who tells me that if you want any of his 7mm card rolling stock kit you need to add 4 after the first two letters ie CC12 is the SLNCR 6 wheeled saollon Brake/3rd No4 in 7mm for 4mm you put down CC412, this does not work across all his range, but its a start, I have ask him if he would be willing to do all the rolling stock at Downpatrick, I havent got a reply yet, but it would make a few more items of interest for us modellers.

Colin 

1 hour ago, Andy Cundick said:

Just done 4 of the Worsley DNGR coaches with one more to do.i'll have to check but i'm sure i managed to get all the bits from Wizard models.Andy.

Does that include the 21mm gauge axles Andy?

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...

I'm only seeing this now....

The SLNCR had two ex-DNGR six-wheelers - of their ORIGINAL stock, which I think may have had straight sides, unless I'm mixing it up with something else.

They did purchase a few six-wheelers from the GNR - never bogies - but they did at one time HIRE a couple of GNR bogies for quite a while - possibly several years. Exact details didn't survive.

From time to time, the impression may have been given that they got more GNR coaches than they did, because if they were expecting a lot of people (pilgrimage specials being one major source of passengers but only a few times a year), they would simply borrow some for the day. I believe that these were often secondary stock stored at Clones - again, usually six-wheelers. I don't believe any GNR (or any other) corridor coaches ever traversed the line, let alone, of course, any catering vehicle.

The GSR or CIE would occasionally lend them coaches too. In one of C P Friel's books an excursion may be seen entering Enniskillen with two green CIE-liveried Midland six-wheelers in the train makeup - thus CIE green and "flying snails" were seen in Enniskillen; the latter not only on good wagons.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2

There are a number of photos of SLNCR trains with CIE & GNR coaching stock in Neil Spink's SLNCR Irish photo album.

In one of the photos large tank "Enniskillen"  is hauling the 12:00 Enniskillen-Sligo train on 6th July 1957 made up of 3ex-MGWR 6 wheelers, a pair of H Vans and an SLNCR goods brake. The caption states that the steam train was a substitution for Railcar B because of the anticipated number of passengers. Presumably the CIE coaches would have been worked to Enniskillen on an earlier goods train.

There are a couple of photos of Lough Erne working a "Garland Sunday" excursion on 29th July 1956. The train is made up of the three SLNCR bogie coaches and a GNR non corridor clerestory coach, possibly the nearest thing to a long passenger train on the SLNCR in its final years. The train appears to have been re-marshalled at Sligo with the GNR coach coupled next to the loco in both directions.

• Like 2

I had this photo enlargement framed many years ago. It depicts what I think is an early 50s Garland Sunday train. The stock speaks for itself. Although hardly a typical Sligo Leitrim working, the image is full of charm - lovely 3/4 of the loco, H van in the goods siding, and the driver oiling round before setting off over hill and dale to Manorhamilton.

709982E5-4BE0-4575-9EEA-84E26D46207F.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

I had this photo enlargement framed many years ago. It depicts what I think is an early 50s Garland Sunday train. The stock speaks for itself. Although hardly a typical Sligo Leitrim working, the image is full of charm - lovely 3/4 of the loco, H van in the goods siding, and the driver oiling round before setting off over hill and dale to Manorhamilton.

709982E5-4BE0-4575-9EEA-84E26D46207F.jpeg

And, as often the case with these workings, two borrowed GNR non-corridor bogie thirds!