Steam on Sunday

Rate this topic

God-given day today, so after church (at St Andrews, which suit Warb of Barrow Street) we were off to Didcot where the King (Edward II) was on it's last runs before its boiler certificate runs out. On train rides with three six wheelers - for the nice sound, by the way.

Then on the way home.....

Turn the sound up!

And chasing steam in the Smart Car ....

15mph uphill, I forgot to keep the camera running as we overtook!

• Like 3

McAllister,

Is that you Back-seat driving yet again?  Do I hear an indicator clicking incessantly?  You really do need to keep your eye on the road! No masks in that Film! Our Nicola won't allow anything up here. Rumor has it, she will announce Farting is to be banned as of Tuesday?

Look after yourself and those railway assets you hold too.

Fearful registration on that truck - EU - Are those numbers relevant to the year we shall finally leave this institution?

Joke Lads - no offence intended to those opposing BREXIT. 

White.

Edited by Old Blarney
  • Angry 1

55 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Sweet, I must say the kings look good in Blue, and I do confess to getting a GWR king in Easons in the 80's for a Birthday, Tender drive, Still goes too, even chipped it and badly weathered!

Surprised you did not have a date with Sir Keith Park Leslie this weekend.

Plenty of time yet George. The RAF officially commemorates BoB the Sunday after 15th Sep. But nicely remembered. The last BoB pilot alive is actually an Irishman and is living in Dublin at the age of over 100- Gp Capt Hemingway DFC

4353C881-B936-41AF-A9B7-CE2DE6BE2A62.jpeg

7E596632-9390-4D24-ABAD-6E2F94692396.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3
  • Informative 1

Right, back in from dinner to celebrate the Smart Car's driver's birthday.

Yes, Lord White, we'd put the indicator on to "pretend" we were part of the convoy and then could enjoy the experience a bit longer.  Thanks, Andy for the Heads-up on the owner and details. Steam Lorries are serious vehicles and make a decent sound - if you listen to the roadside shot.

Thanks, George, and yes, I agree with you that the Kings look really good in the short-lived BR Express Loco Blue. Merchant Navies and A1s, likewise, but NOT the A4s - not a patch on the LNER Garter Blue livery.

I'm away from my logbooks, so I can't remember if I've ran a run with Sir Keith Park. There are 1 or 2 Bulleids around which I have to add to my collection - now in its high fifties (from 46 at the End of Steam). Thank ypu to those who've done up locos I was too late to get!

A, Mr G,  you're giving away your "Day Job", but that's an interesting story from Dublin.

A really God-given day.

• Like 1

I recall a story told to me by the late, great, road steam man Rory Wolff from north Antrim.

Rory was coming back home from a steam rally at Shane's Castle one time in the mid or late '70s. He was driving his famous preserved steam lorry (I think Lord O'Neill might have it now?). It was the height of the troubles and in those times the police (then the RUC) often had more important things to do than worry about people speeding or driving with drink taken.

Now Rory was stone cold sober, but in his steam lorry he was exceeding the speed limit - on a MOTORWAY! (The M2).

There had been 12th July related trouble in the area, so one might expect the RUC to be even LESS interested in road traffic offences.

Yet one of those armoured landrovers they had then pulled him over. Here we go, he thought, I'll get a ticket.

Policeman, on getting out of landrover and approaching Rory: "What sort of thing is this?"

Rory" "It's a steam lorry"

- "A what?"

"A steam lorry".

- (Policeman summons colleague from van) "I never knew there was things like that. How old is it?"

(Rory gives date).

- "Where'd ye get it?"

"I bought it from XCVCCFFG"

- "Oh - and it's steam powered?"

"Yep."

- "Like an old train?"

"Yep."

- "Ye were doing a right speed in it. We clocked you at over 70!"

Rory is thinking, OK, gimme the ticket, I need to to tend the fire......

- "Never seen a thing like that. I just pulled you over 'cause I saw the smoke. I thought yer truck was on fire!"

"Ah, emm, no. It's just the coal smoke."

- "Ah, OK, give'us a minute, I'd love a photograph of it, is that OK?"

"Sure!"

Policemen get Rory to take their picture beside it, on the hard shoulder. 

- "OK, thanks! Away ye go, then!"

No ticket.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

11 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Plenty of time yet George. The RAF officially commemorates BoB the Sunday after 15th Sep. But nicely remembered. The last BoB pilot alive is actually an Irishman and is living in Dublin at the age of over 100- Gp Capt Hemingway DFC

4353C881-B936-41AF-A9B7-CE2DE6BE2A62.jpeg

7E596632-9390-4D24-ABAD-6E2F94692396.jpeg

This is what I meant! down the road in the lovely Royal Tunbridge Wells, once a haven of Model shops. I think around 5 back in the 80s. Mostly gone now

2 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

This is what I meant! This BOB. down the road in the lovely Royal Tunbridge Wells, once a haven of Model shops. I think around 5 back in the 80s. Mostly gone now

Interesting read, Shot down twice on one day!, I know the feeling but it is mostly at night that happened!

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

Hi George and thanks for that.

Nice to hear a bit of "Bulleid Chatter" - albeit muted.

They make a splendid noise when working hard on a decent train - I had an unforgettable run up the long 1 in 250 through Winchester in 1967 - 75mph uphill with 9 coaches, I was at the back and, boy, was the engine noisy!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Hi George and thanks for that.

Nice to hear a bit of "Bulleid Chatter" - albeit muted.

They make a splendid noise when working hard on a decent train - I had an unforgettable run up the long 1 in 250 through Winchester in 1967 - 75mph uphill with 9 coaches, I was at the back and, boy, was the engine noisy!

There was always this dilemma with working steam: do you stay at the back to get decent photos on curves, or up front to hear the music!

• Like 1

Interesting, informative, history.  I read this topic with a great deal of gratitude to those who sacrificed their lives for us. Furthermore, as an Irishman and a former pupil of St Andrews College, Dublin I am extremely proud of John Hemingway and his connection with Andrews.  My Uncle, Jack (Ginger) Powell, flew, and trained pilots during the war whilst serving in The Canadian Air Force.  He was also a well respected Vet from Nenagh, who, at the age of 95  was still in practice. 

Long may we remember those who have served on our behalf. 

• Like 3

I watched the interview of John Hemingway last night. What a modest man, a man I should love to meet and talk with, those men are heros.

My wifes uncle was a Captain in MTB's he would talk about his experiences just occasionally . What struck me was the heady mix of very fast wooden boat, two huge petrol powered engines, a large amount of petrol fuel and torpedo's! Captain Jim was very casual about the whole thing!   Health and Safety???? 

• WOW! 1

6 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

There was always this dilemma with working steam: do you stay at the back to get decent photos on curves, or up front to hear the music!

Nope, on that occasion it was just to get a window seat on the milepost side!

Nowadays, given the chance, I'd go for the front and be deafened!

• Like 1

We had a funny incident with the Police involving a Foden steam wagon.We were steaming it back from the Model Engineer Exhibition(when it was at Wembley)basically a trundle down the North Circular to Kew Bridge.Anyway we stopped by Hanger Lane to have a quick blow up when a motorcycle policeman came over to have a chat.Now at this point it has to be explained that one thing that steam waggons on pneumatics have is an earthing chain usually down by the back axle.The reason for this if you are using the blower it creates a static charge(a very good one)hence the earthing chain.However its a known thing that to prevent engines being messed about when on display you hook the chain up and leave the blower cracked open,a marvellous deterant.Thats why you often see a fire iron on the deck by the engine an earthing device for the driver.Anyway  the Policeman comes up to the waggon and in mid sentence inquiring about the age of her,he grasps the cabside,followed by a large crack and said Policeman propelled back several feet.He was very nice about it Andy.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Last Saturday at Didcot:

Sorry about the wind noise, but a nice sound despite the "Divine Interference" -

We used to have these in Ireland, but they weren't a roaring success.

Kernow announced it was going to do a GWR one about four years ago, still at the CAD stage, from their website. For the younger folk among us, you're looking at the ancestor of the Rotem railcar!

Putting it to bed. The lady fireperson wasn't worried about getting her hands dirty and was underneath encouraging the ash out of the firebox five minutes later!

DSC03617.JPG

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 3