Thorne Yard

Rate this topic

Si2020

Hello everyone, so I've been tempted over by those makers of the green boxes (IRM/ACC) and thought I would say hi and post up a couple of photos of one of the train sets that I exhibit.

So first up is Thorne Yard.

Its a wagon repair depot in the the 1980s.

The layout is DCC with all locos being sound fitted and all rolling stock is detailed, renumbered (if there is more than one) and weathered. 

If you have any questions then please ask.

More photos to come

Thanks

Simon

spacer.png

• Like 14
  • WOW! 4

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, DJ Dangerous said:

Just exceptional.

The more photos, the better!

Thanks. I will post up some more over the next few weeks/months. Been a bit busy with the big layout and work, plus I need to keep remembering to upload the photos to the phot hosting 😁

• Like 2

As with most layouts they are never finished and eveolve over time.

This is the case with Thorne Yard as when it was first built we used a cassette system for the trains to be taken on anf off the layout which on the whole worked well but after an incedent when one of the cassettes was caught by a passing operator on another layout which pulled it off the end of the layout. Not the best thing to see a loco and wagons heading to the floor.

It was decided to alter the layout to alter the layout to have a deciated fiddle yard board to give us more sapce and security and provides an area where we can hide a little at a show and also have our exhibiton bingo....more on that later.

Here is a photo of the full layout taken at the 2018 Perth model railway exhibtion, Perth in scotland that is.

35893214_861800334005146_175710032227624

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I saw a video of Thorne Yard on YouTube.

Are they tiny little surface mounted point motors in the video?

Hi,

If you mean the small plates next to the points, no they are the base units for the Knightwing point hand levers.

They have slowly fallen off over the past few years during tracking cleaning and I’ve not got round to replacing them. 

It’s on the list of jobs to draw up some replacements for etching. Should be a bit more robust. 

We use Tortoise motors on all the layouts we exhibit as we can’t find anything better. 

Thanks for finding that video, not seen that before. 

Thanks 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Tortoises are mounted underneath, I guess?

As promised here is the point motors we use on the layout. Not the greatest photo as the layout is in its storage place at the moment and due to some domestic jobs not easy to get at.

IMG_8332-scaled.jpg

The frog on the point is switched using the internal switching on the point motor with just the wiring from the switch and the DCC wires added to the terminal strips.

• Like 1

As mentioned the layouts fiddle yard area was modifiled from a casette sytem behind a wall to a full baord where we can store cassettes ready for the next rake to come on.

Here is a photo of the area being modifyed

1016081_589644067733840_496071727_n.jpg

The old scenic break was where the dark red brick turns right at the end of the light coloured brick work.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

The grass was soon added to the top wall. It still needs the a bit more work even now and finally i hope to get the bridge in over the track and we have been looking at putting a signal in as a bracket coming off the top of the wall. Will have to make firm plans as we hopefully have a show for March next year and a possible magazine article.

1003695_600799849951595_2030255002_n.jpg.94e3a29b0c32b42501c2434d6c18f9bc.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

So after posting the photo of the sign post without the sign I've been making a new one to try and reduce the list of jobs that need doing as there is a provisional exhibition invite for 2022.

A few mins with some scrap etch and a bit of spare rail and it now just needs a coat of paint and planting on the layout.

IMG_9527.thumb.JPG.30487924d7c0e9c801d81a2185f4c26b.JPG

IMG_9528.thumb.JPG.cd6000fd58bd3389f6cbdab19d2ffda3.JPG

IMG_9501.thumb.JPG.f28393d5c4c53e7fb83b7ff5f15859bb.JPG

Edited by Si2020
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Not much has been happening on the layout as its had to stay packed up in its travel crate due to visitors at home and Ive been concentrating on the big train set for the past few months but I'm please to announce that we will be attending the 2022 Railex show. It will be nice to get out to exhibit with the layout.

Here is a view of the layout from the scenic end. Taken at the Perth exhibition in 2018, cant believe its been that long!!

IMG_0061.thumb.JPG.c4dde15ed00c7310196bc14d587ca340.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Si2020
Missed show title
  • Like 5
  • WOW! 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not the grestest photo but here is one of the lareg logo 37s thats in the fleet with the Bachmann inspection Saloon. I have one of the Comet models one to build to add to the stock collection.

11038117_1434888413476771_6993944775546846889_n.jpg

Edited by Si2020
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...