i justa donna know

i lovea been a on a da rte sporta

coz a nobody canna understanda me

the F A I can notta afforda da spondulies to a paya me offa

so i a staya

and notta worrya about da footballa

we all hava da pizza and be happy

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE GET ON THE PHONE TO ROY KEANE AND GIVE HIM THE JOB

Time for the smooth talker and his sidekicks to leave the island ?

i hope they do well tomorrow night

fighting in the camp { already } not a good sign

but fingers crossed

your thoughts ?

Delaney and Keane would never work together, so I think we can rule that one out.

Realistically, someone like Owen Coyle is who they'll be looking at. Of course, if Denis O'Brien agrees to keep on bankrolling the manager's job then the first phone call the FAI should make is to a certain Mr Redknapp...

from Wikipedia -John Delaney has overseen the appointments of Stan Staunton and Giovanni Trappattoni as Ireland managers and the corresponding decline in the standing of Irish football.

How can Delaney justify his position, and salary, since he has done sweet fanny adams for the game here? Yeah, bought a couple pints for the lads abroad, but he takes home the average industrial annual salary every month. If he was the CEO of a public company and the share price rose and fell according to his companies results and performance, he'd be on the scrapheap by now. And the clown has never kicked a ball. The Delaney dynasty has been entrenched at the top table at FAI for thirty odd years, remember George the Greek who took off with £200,000 of the FAI's money back in 1996? The gold watches? Fran Rooney? Disgusting organisation that needs to be cleaned out.

Trappatoni - If Trap cannot communicate to journo's in a room, how in the hell can he communicate to footballers running around a training ground pitch? He is detached from the bunch of guys running around on the pitch, and will always be. Any fool can stand on a sideline and shout and point meaninglessly and look like they are in control.

The Players - These guys get paid to do this for 33 weeks of the year, but everytime I watch them it looks like they've only met in the pub an hour ago.

I hate to say this, but I'd like them to lose about 3 or 4 nil, and let the whole sorry lot come tumbling down. Then get Katie Taylor to manage them spoiled pups.:P

Richie the Greek

The thing is, it's not just Delaney that has to be axed... the entire FAI needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Grassroots football in this country is badly neglected and the structures aren't there for developing youngsters into true professionals. In times past, we relied heavily on English academies to do this job but it's not good enough anymore. If the FAI invested in this end with the co-operation of the League of Ireland teams, it would go some way to solving the dearth of talent we currently have - look at the dividends such work has done for rugby over the past number of years.

It would also have the added bonus of improving the domestic league - hopefully to the standard of, say, the Danish or Swedish leagues, for example. The teams in those leagues are nowhere near winning European silverware, but they can produce players who can cut the mustard at International level, as they have shown time and again.

It always baffles me when I see some League of Ireland supporters smirking into their pints whenever they see Ireland losing a game, when both the international team and the LoI ultimately share a common destiny.

Lads I played the game from school boy football to junior league for 25 years. I have been in dressing rooms with bad atmosphere, bad feeling and we always put the aggro aside until the game was over as the result was always most important. There were times when we did not have the players or the ability in the side to consistently compete with more competent and well organized teams. The fact of the matter is, is that we don't have the players with the kind of ability to compete against stronger and more organized teams in the top tier of football. Blaming the manager is only part of the problem the main fault is the ability of the players. None of our players are competing for league titles in their respective leagues, none of them with the exception of McGeedy is playing in the champions league. Alarm bells were ringing long before the Euros and don't forget the shambles in the first game of the group. As for Keane becoming manager has anyone actually really looked at his pedigree managing at the top level, let alone his relationship with the hierarchy in the FAI. I support Utd and I always admired Keanes efforts as a player and he is rightly held in high esteem by Utd fans to players like Bryan Robson.

The amount of foreign players in the Premier League will eventually lead to the England team facing a future like ours in the next 10 years. I think it has happened to us quicker than I expected but in all reality we are at the same lever as the rest of the home nations and some of the newer eastern European teams that were formed after the end of the USSR and the pulling down of the Berlin wall.

A new manager is not going to make things improve drastically the kind of change we need is needed in the grass roots of football when the kids are young, they need to set up a school of excellence like the Belgian FA did 15 years ago to start producing better players like they have now. The daggers are out for the Trappitoni regime at the moment but in all honesty that is one of many rotten apples in the barrel.

Rich,

Edited by RedRich

What happen's if we thump the 158th ranked team in the world 3 or 4 nil? We reset the clock, keep plugging away, and hope we qualify only to embarrass ourselves in front of the world's cameras again?

To quote Roy Keane from some month's ago, he was, in hindsight, bang on.

"They want to see the team winning – let’s not kid ourselves, we’re a small country, we’re up against it, but let's not just go along for the sing-song every now and again.”

We need to demand more.

Harry would be too busy trying to get English players in on loan, too much of a spiv.

Keane would be a complete disaster on every level. The FAI don't like him and I bet some of the players don't either. He's not cut out for management.

I think our best bet would be McCarthy back, but I'm sure he could do better and would tell them to stick it after the Saipan fall out.

I reckon Patrick is right, it'll be someone like Coyle. Not sure how I feel about that, but they can't afford to sack Trap, so he won't be going anywhere yet.

I might send in my CV on the off chance. I'd be cheaper than Trap, and I think I'd be better! :P

Unfortunately Trap is just the tip of the iceberg of the problem in this country. The whole structure of football needs to change here. Kids in junior teams are not being thought how to play properly, just boot the ball and 'get rid' rather than develop passing ability. Look at Croatia, a country the size of ourselves population wise and they produce so many technically gifted players. I know we have to compete with GAA and Rugby in Ireland, but improving the football culture and moving away from caveman tactics should be possible.

Edited by Warbonnet

Unfortunately Trap is just the tip of the iceberg of the problem in this country. The whole structure of football needs to change here. Kids in junior teams are not being thought how to play properly, just boot the ball and 'get rid' rather than develop passing ability. Look at Croatia, a country the size of ourselves population wise and they produce so many technically gifted players. I know we have to compete with GAA and Rugby in Ireland, but improving the football culture and moving away from caveman tactics should be possible.

You pretty well summed up a lot of what I said in my own post Fran. The grass roots level of football in Ireland is outdated and it falls well below the levels of football at the same level in most countries world wide. The African Continent produces world class footballers who play at the top level in Europe and have done so regularly over the past 10 years. The Toure brothers, Samuel Eto, Didier Drogba, Michael Essien, Jay Jay Okocha, Kanu. and way to many more to mention. The Netherlands are another great example of a small European Nation producing world class players every decade. Greece are 10th in the FIFA world rankings.

You mention Croatia rightly in your post as an example,

Corluka,

Modric,

Kranjcar,

Pranjic,

Jelavic,

Olic,

We don't have a central midfielder who is as skillful on the ball as Modric, he can dictate the pace of a game, open up a compact defense with one sweet pass, he has great vision and awareness of the play around him. We don't have any players of his ability in our side, or even anyone of the class as the other Croatia players I mentioned. I watched my nephew play a match a few weeks ago and they played on a full sized pitch. The ball was off the ground and off the pitch for about 3 quarters of the game. He is 12 and I think that says a lot about the current state of affairs.

I fear for Ireland when we play Sweden because if Ibramimavic turns up he will destroy our defense because of the basic lack of defensive skills of the current crop of players that seem to be in favor, and poor tactics of the management.

Watching Ireland against teams like Kazakhstan and Aremina in recent times shows how far the team has fallen and I think the FIFA World ranking we have is being very kind to us at the moment. Despite the result on Friday night some of the press seem to think that we might get 3 points tonight, but if we do I fear it will only be painting over the cracks.

Rich,

Rich,

You pretty well summed up a lot of what I said in my own post Fran. The grass roots level of football in Ireland is outdated and it falls well below the levels of football at the same level in most countries world wide. The African Continent produces world class footballers who play at the top level in Europe and have done so regularly over the past 10 years. The Toure brothers, Samuel Eto, Didier Drogba, Michael Essien, Jay Jay Okocha, Kanu. and way to many more to mention. The Netherlands are another great example of a small European Nation producing world class players every decade. Greece are 10th in the FIFA world rankings.

You mention Croatia rightly in your post as an example,

Corluka,

Modric,

Kranjcar,

Pranjic,

Jelavic,

Olic,

We don't have a central midfielder who is as skillful on the ball as Modric, he can dictate the pace of a game, open up a compact defense with one sweet pass, he has great vision and awareness of the play around him. We don't have any players of his ability in our side, or even anyone of the class as the other Croatia players I mentioned. I watched my nephew play a match a few weeks ago and they played on a full sized pitch. The ball was off the ground and off the pitch for about 3 quarters of the game. He is 12 and I think that says a lot about the current state of affairs.

I fear for Ireland when we play Sweden because if Ibramimavic turns up he will destroy our defense because of the basic lack of defensive skills of the current crop of players that seem to be in favor, and poor tactics of the management.

Watching Ireland against teams like Kazakhstan and Aremina in recent times shows how far the team has fallen and I think the FIFA World ranking we have is being very kind to us at the moment. Despite the result on Friday night some of the press seem to think that we might get 3 points tonight, but if we do I fear it will only be painting over the cracks.

Rich,

Rich,

You're right in a lot of what you say there Rich... however, I think the "if in doubt" tactics that lead to the ball being lumped away are as much to do with people just not having natural raw talent. I think that many of the footballing nations with populations smaller than ours (Uruguay, Croatia and Slovenia spring to mind) have and will continue to fare better than us because they are simply naturally technically better than us. I think Trap (until recently anyway) was getting the the best out of a team with limited talent using the tactics which suited us best and ultimately got us to the Euros, which was a pretty good result. Ok, I know the defence went to pieces then, bu my point stands :)

You're right in a lot of what you say there Rich... however, I think the "if in doubt" tactics that lead to the ball being lumped away are as much to do with people just not having natural raw talent. I think that many of the footballing nations with populations smaller than ours (Uruguay, Croatia and Slovenia spring to mind) have and will continue to fare better than us because they are simply naturally technically better than us. I think Trap (until recently anyway) was getting the the best out of a team with limited talent using the tactics which suited us best and ultimately got us to the Euros, which was a pretty good result. Ok, I know the defence went to pieces then, bu my point stands :)

Vincent this Island has produced great players in the past, Giles, Brady. I am as I type this watching a programme about the greatest ever George Best on Sky Sports at the moment. Ronnie Whelan, Paul McGrath, Pat Jennings, Roy Keane. Great players have and will again come from here. Trapattoni's tactics are as much his philosophy as far as the Ireland team are concerned. I watched Nothern Ireland tonight and I was gutted when Portugal equalised near the end of the game. Nothern Irelands backs were against the wall but they played with the ball on the ground when they had it. The reason the Nations we have both mentioned are as strong as they are now is because of the way the youth football is set up now. We need to do that and when we do we will hopefrully reap the rewards by grooming great players.

It will be interesting to see see why his press conference was postponed for tomorrow. The Sweeden comeback against Germany has me worried. We dropped our heads on Friday night but tonight Sweeden never gave in. Austria had a good result also and their goal difference could make a difference.

Rich,

Ah grand it ended 4-1. But they got 2 og's. so that's 2 for us and 3 for them against a team of part timers. We are saved. NOT. This is why I build layouts instead of supporting soccer!

If the ball is deflected into his goal by a defender and the original shot was going wide then it is an og. Wilsons shot was on target so the deflection doesn't make it an og and that is why he is credited with the goal.

Rich,

Vincent this Island has produced great players in the past, Giles, Brady. I am as I type this watching a programme about the greatest ever George Best on Sky Sports at the moment. Ronnie Whelan, Paul McGrath, Pat Jennings, Roy Keane. Great players have and will again come from here. Trapattoni's tactics are as much his philosophy as far as the Ireland team are concerned. I watched Nothern Ireland tonight and I was gutted when Portugal equalised near the end of the game. Nothern Irelands backs were against the wall but they played with the ball on the ground when they had it. The reason the Nations we have both mentioned are as strong as they are now is because of the way the youth football is set up now. We need to do that and when we do we will hopefrully reap the rewards by grooming great players.

It will be interesting to see see why his press conference was postponed for tomorrow. The Sweeden comeback against Germany has me worried. We dropped our heads on Friday night but tonight Sweeden never gave in. Austria had a good result also and their goal difference could make a difference.

Rich,

Yeah you're right about the good players in the past actually... and apparently he has a sick sister in Milan who he's visiting, that's why the conference was postponed I think.

True Anthony

i take it you are not a football follower { more rugby }

aint it strange how there are no racial outbursts in rugby

more respect in that game i think

no news on trap yet

i was just watching the start of the England v Poland match

one of the commentators made a comment to roy keane

about a polish flag which was hanging outside the studio in the stadium blocking the view

he said, i have a job for you roy , go out there and take down the flag

i was waiting for a stormer of a reply from roy but it never came

mabye he is mellowing in his later years :D

True Anthony

i take it you are not a football follower { more rugby }

aint it strange how there are no racial outbursts in rugby

more respect in that game i think

no news on trap yet

i was just watching the start of the England v Poland match

one of the commentators made a comment to roy keane

about a polish flag which was hanging outside the studio in the stadium blocking the view

he said, i have a job for you roy , go out there and take down the flag

i was waiting for a stormer of a reply from roy but it never came

mabye he is mellowing in his later years :D

Now now, while there are many problems in Football, rugby has its fair share of problems with racism too. There was the South African player who left Northampton over the summer after racist tweeting over Mo Farrah for instance.

Without going off topic too much racism is a society and cultural problem, not one limited to certain sports.

Agreed warbonnnet

just more to the front in football in the last few months

never really heard of it in the rugby before

but as you said its all over not just limited to sports

Sadly so, but I'm glad it's being highlighted, and if FIFA got off the pot they could surely do more to fight it.

Anyway, so will Trap stay now after last night? A win against part-timers shouldn't count for too much. Sweden getting a draw against the Germans is a kick in the nuts for us.

I hope not warbonnet i think its in the best intrest that he goes { but thats just my view}

and i dont think mick mc carthy would be a good choice to replace him, been there done that ,{ just my view again }

i really think roy would do the job [ or at least do a better one than trap ]

i guess we will know by monday

mabye he is gone to italy to meet with the man with the money ? =D

the poles just scored a cracker lovely jubbley :banana:

a win against part timers as you said is nothing

imagine if we had lost it ?

what would the papers be saying today if that was the case ?

I'm not a football fan, but yes, I have watched Ireland play over the years, and on so many occasions much to my disappointment. Ever since Trap " WORLD CLASS MANAGER " Delaney's words, not mine arrived I have seen Ireland lose, more times than win, ( luck ). For me, the sooner Trap, (who hasn't learnt to speak the International language yet, despite the number of years here ) Delaney, and Robbie (The Showman ) Keane go the better. I don't know if Roy would be much better, but I believe he would make a bloody good fist of it. :tumbsup:

wont be until next week now before we know

i agree 100% with you on the three stooges

was funny last night to see mr robbie claim another players goal { the voices told him he scored it }

too much sunshine on the head in the states =))

ahh if we could only re live the glory days with the golden team

memories

lets hope we can scrape something out of this group

i hope that is not too much to ask :-bd