rake of cement bubbles

Rate this question

Northman

Question

26 answers to this question

I'm guessing your planning your buy from IRM..

A real life rake could be up to 36(empty) or 24 (laden) bubbles.. But the didn't always run in block trains, so could be seen mixed with flat wagons carrying kegs or containers, stores oil wagons or even other wagon types travelling in a liner train to Linerick works..

I think ultimately how you run them depends on your preference and how much space you have on your layout

I'm guessing your planning your buy from IRM..

A real life rake could be up to 36(empty) or 24 (laden) bubbles.. But the didn't always run in block trains, so could be seen mixed with flat wagons carrying kegs or containers, stores oil wagons or even other wagon types travelling in a liner train to Linerick works..

I think ultimately how you run them depends on your preference and how much space you have on your layout

Not really the size of my layout,but the size of my wallet:)

If you look through photos of the bubbles they averaged maybe 12-16 wagons even though they could be longer. They frequently did not exceed a dozen wagons when in a mixed freight train, particularly when in the orange livery. Longer trains seem to be more common in more recent times particularly in the ivory and black livery. Since you're unlikely to have a scale model of one of the routes, a scaled back train of maybe 9 wagons would look the part

At 6:05 in this video there is a scene showing an A class entering Athenry from Limerick with a rake of 7 ivory bubbles.

Thanks for posting that. One interesting formation was B&T GSV + TPO coupled to rake of ST Mk2 with EGV, and the same B&T GSV/TPO combination with a liner train. Enjoyed that video.

In their original all grey livery, they were more often seen as just part of a general goods train, marshalled along with open wagons (corrugated by that stage, mostly) and "H" and a few other vans. By orange days, this was still the case, but now running ion block trains. By the time the ivory and black appeared, and the later "non-livery" of pure caked layers of cement (!) they were running in blocks.

It's a shame we do not see more photos of that livery. Always caked in cement, what a shame. This livery is growing on me. Since 8/9 of the IRM rake of 12 would be in this livery, I would have been tempted at the Raheny show

Would a black and tan 141 have pulled the ivory bubbles?Thanks.

I think this B'n'T is hauling either grey or more likely orange bubbles. I don't remember exactly when the liveries changed at the moment

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Search/Results?lookfor=bulk+cement+hazelhatch&type=AllFields&submit=FIND&filter%5B%5D=format%3A%22Photo%22

Edited by DiveController

It's a shame we do not see more photos of that livery. Always caked in cement, what a shame. This livery is growing on me. Since 8/9 of the IRM rake of 12 would be in this livery, I would have been tempted at the Raheny show

I think this B'n'T is hauling either grey or more likely orange bubbles. I don't remember exactly when the liveries changed at the moment

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Search/Results?lookfor=bulk+cement+hazelhatch&type=AllFields&submit=FIND&filter%5B%5D=format%3A%22Photo%22

Most likely Orange but a few original greys are probably in there too.

Was privileged to see some pics of pristine Ivory livery bubbles still in the works recently which will be handy for research purposes for the wagon :)

Those are all grey, as far as I can see; the chassis seem the same colour. When they were repainted orange, the chassis remained grey, but this might show up as a separate colour. Once repainted in orange, the CIE logos became black and these can't be seen in this picture.

It's not a very clear picture as far as the wagons are concerned, so we can't be sure.

As far as the changeover from grey to orange is concerned, it would have been about 1970, as far as I remember.

The more observant of us will have noticed a brake van at each end of the train - unusual when you are conditioned to the modern scene with fully fitted freights.

Stephen

Black'n'tan was long gone when ivory bubbles appeared. Black and tan locos would have pulled ordinary wagon grey ones (original livery) mostly. As they started painting 141s in "supertrain" livery, they were concurrently painting bubbles in orange; in fact, the bubbles were probably repainted first. Thus, it's fair to say that the following liveries match fairly tidily:

Black'n'tan or black locos - grey bubbles in ordinary standard wagon grey

Supertrain liveried locos - orange bubbles

Tippex livery - cream / ivory colour bubbles with Irish Cement logo or "all-cement" livery!

Ivory cement wagon would certainly never have been with any black and tan loco; these were separated by some twenty years.

Wonder whose those are? There are two among them which I suspect are up there without the permission or knowledge of the owner - I will contact him and copy the link!

Nice shots though!

Do indeed. Many feature on a few NI Flickr pages, there appears to be wholesale lifting going on.

If I am right, the person to whom copyright belongs will go buck-daft, and rightly so, and sue the pants off them! On closer inspection, there's a possibility that another one belongs to another individual I know. I will tip him off too.

Now, I've emailed him, and it's possible I'm quite wrong. It's not as if that era wasn't well photographed!

In this case, definitely grey. All locos were supertrained before any cream / ivory appeared. The orange version had grey chassis, but (unusually for Ireland) the ivory cream ones had black chassis. And these clearly are the same as body colour as the first few are quite new. So the pic is probably late 60's, maybe 1970/1 at a stretch.

Actually JB, can I throw out a theory here? there are no markings at all on the wagons, and the colour slides I have of the original grey show a darker wagon than that here.

Would it be possible that they were given a coat of primer and sent for tests? Short rake of 12-14 wagons, with 2 brake vans.... I know it's black and white but this screams similar.

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000304937

Answers on a postcard....