Finding old kits

Rate this topic

Colin R

There has been quite a lengthy discussion on NGRM about the current position at Backwoods, there are rumours that the business has been sold. This is a copy of a post on that site:

((  As some customers may already know, my wife Jen has developed dementia which is steadily progressing and I am now her full time carer. For this reason I chose to suspend trading of Backwoods Miniatures in December 2016 as I no longer have time to devote to the business, and her care must be my sole priority. We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our customers who have given us such loyal support over many years. It is planned to transfer the business to a new owner and this process is currently ongoing. 

Pete & Jen McParlin))

When Pete first started producing Irish NG prototypes many years ago I purchased a large number of kits covering L&LSR, CDRJC C&L locos and about 20 wagons. Most of the loco kits had parts missing and a note saying these would be forwarded in due course. None ever arrived and the kits sat in their boxes for years before I moved them on through my mate Geof Poulter at Contikits
I am pretty sure that the brass castings etc were produced by Ian Young of Sans Pareil models (I understand he is doing the same for the forthcoming 00 Works 0-6-0  - a chat with him at my Daughters wedding last June)

Ernie

I was planning to scratch build a C&L 4-4-0T and had even bought a set of driving and bogie wheels shortly before Backwoods Miniatures introduced a kit for the loco and other items of C&L rolling stock.

Modelling the C&L suddenly became a lot easier in the mid 1990s thanks to the combination of Backwoods Miniatures, Branchlines & Worsley Works, loco, coach and wagon kits.

DSCF1953.JPG.9948b7a6083730317ed1ead9a3059fca.JPG

2L formerly Kathleen now preserved in the UFTM Cultra ()etched brass/whitemetal)

DSCF5948.thumb.JPG.44c44fae305f14352cc50a7ad5c91e7c.JPG

8L (Queen Victoria) as running late 1950s.

DSCF1905.JPG.66c1964511b68b6752f17e93a2efeceb.JPG

Van 22L rebuilt Tralee & Dingle brake 3rd as running on C&L in mid 1950s (etched brass)

DSCF1939.JPG.89c1525ec5db627596c9cfb3ce8d870f.JPG

Convertible wagons (Brass & Whitemetal)

The convertibles had a whitemetal body on a brass chassis.

The wagon modeled by Backwoods was unusual in that all 4 sides were different, the prototype wagon had lost some of its louvers and had a planked door on 1 side

DSCF7371.JPG.cdc7c10cde5632b12422091cad1c3c10.JPG

C&L 4w passenger brake. (brass)

Backwoods appear to have taken a bit of modelers license with the paneling on passenger brake. Paneling was modified/simplified as vans were  repaired/overhauled during the GSR/CIE era and eventually re-clad in aluminium sheeting.

The coach is a Branchlines CVR 3rd

• Like 1

Nice to see Keadue again (it is, isn't it?)

There may not have been many CVR loco kits sold, but there were a fair few of the C&L 4-4-0T shifted, I did two and I've seen several on various other layouts, and there are those in store mentioned above.

It would be nice to see the Irish kits re-appear in some form (even etches only if necessary).

• 1 month later...

Sorry to be away for so long the new job in the hospital take up to much time and by the time I get home I am almost cream crackered to be honest, even to putting the PC on.

Anyhow a brief update it looks like Backwoods has gone sadly but Worsley Works are in the process of producing a limited number of class 5 and 5a kits, the only problem is they don't supply the castings, so a small group of us are looking to make some new castings.

I think that the CDR class 4, 5 and 5a all had standard fittings, but, if anyone knows any difference I would be glad to be put right (along with a drawing of course) for my man who has said he would produce the masters for the new kits.

Worsley works do a range of Irish Narrow Gauge as well as the broad gauge stuff that I am sure some of you are familiar with already.

Colin

• 1 year later...

Hi Popeye

Neville is not one to keep his website up todate, as he is to busy with the day job and when he gets time he will produce a few chassis , he tells me he would like to expand the 00n3 range over time, but lets get what he has up and running first.

As for a web site you can try the following https://www.n-driveproductions.com/

but dont expect it to be current I think he last looked at it about 3 years ago, for me it does not matter since I have the address and he lets us know over on the 00n3 yahoo group when something new is coming out from the backwood kit range.

I have past on the contact detail for Ian Young, as this could help find some of the missing castings he needs for one or two of the Backwoods kits, just got to save my money now for the Donegal class 5 kits ( all 8 of them, 3 for Class 5A) and of course the four class 4's as well.

From what I know he has the following available

Donegal Turntable kit

Donegal Coaches kits (3 types one of each)

He is currently working on the Cavan and Leitrim 4-4-0T kit

Hopefully before the end of the year Donegal Railcar No 7 and 8 will be available.

I don't have prices for them but I hope this all helps

Colin R

Hi Popeye, Just had a note back from Neville, he tells me he has made contact with Ian and he hopes to be sorting out all the missing castings in due course, if this happens then, this will bring back in to production the L&LSR 4-8-0 Tender loco kit

I think Eoin will have his name all over one of these when they become available again

Colin.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

• 4 months later...

@Colin RThis is amazing news! I had completely missed this piece of information, and I had been starting to regretting moving towards 00n3 as chassis’s and kits are so rare. I have had some dealings with Neville over the years for 009 chassis’s.

So I take it he is taking order if you contact him to directly? Or is he announcing current kit runs on the 00n3 group? 

Regards 

Pat

N-Drive Productions appear to have re-released the Cavan & Leitrim passenger brake and ex T&D bogie van 22L, with the County Donegal Oldbury coach set to follow for £115.

Its planned to re-release the Dongeal Railcars and Phoenix with rtr 009 chassis and loco kits as etches and castings. ndriveproductions@yahoo.com N-Drive press release Nov 2019 New Irish Lines.

Hi Pat contact him direct, as he has a few items for sale now with some more coming on line about mid July next year, I am waiting of the 3 Donegal Coaches to become available, also he hopes to have Donegal railcar 12 available about the same time next year.

There has been some chat about West Clare steam locos, but nothing has happen yet.

Allen of Worsley works continues to produce a number of brass etches in both Irish Broad and Narrow gauges, these are not complete kits but just the basic etching, as you will need to source wheels, motors , gearboxes and any castings required for the kit.

Colin

Edited by Colin R

• 2 months later...

It is funny to think that when Backwoods released the Killybegs turntable all those years ago a modelling group I belong to started to build an 00n3 layout based on Killybegs, sadly we only got as far as building the basedboards and then we lose the storeage facilties for them so they got broken up or reused on other cluib layouts, since then.

Roll on into 2020 and I think I shall have another go at building Killybegs, but I am not sure if it will be a fixed layout, I will need to look at building a new station building, but I don't think it will be up to the same high standard as the 10mm scale version I recall someone making on here a few years ago.

Colin R   

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
11 hours ago, airfixfan said:

As someone involved with the County Donegal at present would love an update on the situation now. Also was told that Ragstone Models are producing a Class 5 CDR tank. What do you guys know about this?

Hi as I understand it it is still under development, I am not sure if there has been any other attempt to make a kit for them in 7mm.

Colin R

Thanks Colin. The Worsley portfolio is enormous, though by no means all of it is available at any one time. Have built several models from Worsley etches and they are a great aid to scratchbuilding. However, certainly not kits, as no instructions or castings, so a lot of work required to complete the model. The wee Donegal not on my radar at the moment, as the stocklist for Belmullet in the 1900s is extensive, but a full on kit for a 2-6-4T would certainly get me thinking!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, David Holman said:

Thanks Colin. The Worsley portfolio is enormous, though by no means all of it is available at any one time. Have built several models from Worsley etches and they are a great aid to scratchbuilding. However, certainly not kits, as no instructions or castings, so a lot of work required to complete the model. The wee Donegal not on my radar at the moment, as the stocklist for Belmullet in the 1900s is extensive, but a full on kit for a 2-6-4T would certainly get me thinking!

Yes very true I am awaiting a number of kits for the IOM and some irish lines to make another appearance, notable a number of Donegal loco and carriage kits.

Allen tells me he is willing to do more Irish standard gauge kits if he can get hold of some decent drawings.

Colin