AddressPal - New Home Delivery option

Rate this topic

Noel

AddressPal can now deliver to your home address or your local post office, and the home address service can cope with large parcels.

We used to use ParcelMotel but then switched to AddressPal for UK suppliers who either had free UK delivery, or exorbitant postal costs to Ireland, or more often than not for modelling items that they would not ship to Ireland (e.g. paints, glues, fluxes, etc), or eBay'ers who don't ship to Ireland or at ridiculous postal costs. ParcelMotel was good but inconvenient because you only had 36hr window to collect, whereas An Post allow 5 days, and often local post office a shorter drive than the nearest PM pickup point. Cost €4 to post office or €6 to home address which covers very large parcels. Just thought I'd pass it on. Very impressed with it.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Noel said:

AddressPal can now deliver to your home address or your local post office, and the home address service can cope with large parcels.

We used to use ParcelMotel but then switched to AddressPal for UK suppliers who either had free UK delivery, or exorbitant postal costs to Ireland, or more often than not for modelling items that they would not ship to Ireland (e.g. paints, glues, fluxes, etc), or eBay'ers who don't ship to Ireland or at ridiculous postal costs. ParcelMotel was good but inconvenient because you only had 36hr window to collect, whereas An Post allow 5 days, and often local post office a shorter drive than the nearest PM pickup point. Cost €4 to post office or €6 to home address which covers very large parcels. Just thought I'd pass it on. Very impressed with it.

Thought it was €3.75 to collect from post office, or has the price been increased?

I've only used AddressPal once. It was a seller who wouldn't post to Northern Ireland, which he needed to do for Parcel Motel. Apart from that, I've continued to use Parcel Motel. While the parcel delivered directly to your home is nice, it's not very practical if you aren't at home to receive the parcel.  I think it's a huge advantage to be able to collect from the Parcel Motel locker at any hour of the day or night. 

AddressPal now offer a service from the USA too.... This should be worthwhile, because as anyone who ever tried to shop on a US website will know, the cost of 'shipping', even for the smallest item, is outrageous.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aclass007 said:

I've only used AddressPal once. It was a seller who wouldn't post to Northern Ireland, which he needed to do for Parcel Motel. Apart from that, I've continued to use Parcel Motel. While the parcel delivered directly to your home is nice, it's not very practical if you aren't at home to receive the parcel.  I think it's a huge advantage to be able to collect from the Parcel Motel locker at any hour of the day or night. 

No its the same as ParcelMotel when you use the Post Office delivery option, you do NOT need to be at home, but better because you have up to 5 days to collect, and in my case the post office is much more convenient to collect than the two nearest PM locations.  It was a real bummer when we were away for the weekend and got the ParcelMotel text at 11pm on a Friday night, we'd never be able collect it in time to avoid the additional day charge. One of the other problems with ParcelMotel is UK model shops refuse to ship many types of paints because the PM facility address is off the island of GB being in Newtownabbey in NI, hence the ott HASCHEM barrier for safe stuff like tiny tins of enamel paints or even acrylics for many model shops.  Daft, but AddressPal gets around all the HASCHEM nonsense.

13 minutes ago, aclass007 said:

AddressPal now offer a service from the USA too.... This should be worthwhile, because as anyone who ever tried to shop on a US website will know, the cost of 'shipping', even for the smallest item, is outrageous.....

Yes its brilliant, this makes buying donor locos from USA such as Athearn, etc, cost affordable.

PS: Re home delivery, you get an automated text and email advising of the delivery about 8:30am on the morning of delivery with your postman's mobile number, so you can phone him/her if your not going to be there and do things like give them your gate code, or an alternate local drop off point like a neighbour or local shop, etc.

Edited by Noel

6 minutes ago, murrayec said:

Holy Moley Noel

What am I going to do? - I don't have a gate code! for that matter I don't even have a gate:D

Eoin

Yip I just knew this was going to happen :) Practically every culchie in the countryside has a gate code nowadays. 

• Informative 1

Can anyone tell how can you use address pal on ebay when you normal address is you home address and as is my paypal address. I have noticed that you can add an address in Northern Ireland  to ebay but not on paypay. How can you get around this?

Edited by PJR

1 hour ago, PJR said:

Can anyone tell how can you use address pal on ebay when you normal address is you home address and as is my paypal address. I have noticed that you can add an address in Northern Ireland  to ebay but not on paypay. How can you get around this?

Your registration address on eBay is effectively your billing address and default delivery address unless you add more delivery addresses using steps below.  I have four delivery addresses stored on my eBay account (AddressPal via Post Office, AddressPal via Home Delivery, Parcel Motel, and a work address).

1. Login to eBay
  2. Account->Addresses
  3. View all postal addresses
  4. Add another address (link on bottom of page)

Then when you are Paying or checking out on eBay you can choose one of your delivery addresses.  Hope this makes sense.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PJR said:

Thanks Noel ,

If paying by paypal and the default address on this is your home address does this create a problem with ebay?

thanks Paddy

Shouldn't be a problem.  On eBay when you go to pay, you get the chance to choose one of your pre-stored delivery addresses before choosing the payment method.  Then if you chose PayPal instead of credit card you get redirected to PayPal for login, and then back to eBay to finally 'Confirm Payment'.  eBay will use your eBay addresses rather than your PayPal address book.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

I wonder is there anything that can be used to the UK, Posted a Loco Back to Hornby due to Motor Failure Friday, Nearly 17 Euros registered Postage. FFS that nuts.

An post prices were reasonable at one time, but as you say the registered postage is very expensive these days.   Sometimes I now use GLS/Parcel Force as depending on what you are sending it can work out a bit cheaper especially if sending larger parcels and the parcel is delivered in three working days,  all tracked and signed for too.

It would be handy if there was an equivalent of address pal here in Ireland.

PS, if its a fault with the loco then Hornby may refund the postage cost to you.

Buying modelling kit from the UK may become interesting depending on the final shape of UKs exit and customs union, etc.  Services like AddressPal and ParcelMotel risk becoming redundant or alternatively agent collectors for VAT and duty depending on how it all shakes out commercially.  I've already started sourcing some modelling stuff from Germany and from amazon.de but many do not have attractive postage to Ireland.

2 hours ago, irishmail said:

An post prices were reasonable at one time, but as you say the registered postage is very expensive these days.   Sometimes I now use GLS/Parcel Force as depending on what you are sending it can work out a bit cheaper especially if sending larger parcels and the parcel is delivered in three working days,  all tracked and signed for too.

It would be handy if there was an equivalent of address pal here in Ireland.

PS, if its a fault with the loco then Hornby may refund the postage cost to you.

Nah. Most likely not.

Bought it from Rails last may so the 6 months Repair or replace for free is up, Only Ran it a few weeks back for 2 hour or so, Seems to be a common fault with this S15 Model, Pity as it is a beauty of a model. Would of been cheaper to buy the motor online and stick it in myself probably.

Just running in my Second one I got from Seamus Grahams to see whats that like.