-
Posts
5,004 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
59
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Blogs
Everything posted by Galteemore
-
If that’s the case then it’s also pretty close to this which is that same Fairbairn design rebuilt with a saddle tank...and I have an outline scale drawing for that.....and a model....
-
What a fantastic project !
-
Especially with a few Provincial Wagons brown vans put through the enlarging ray !
-
It’s pretty genuine. They did exist ! Check out some of the Irish Railways in Colour albums. But it’s 4.75mm too narrow between the wheels
-
And rightly so The quintessential Irish railway perhaps - all the charm of the 3’ but on standard gauge. Last privately owned railway in the country and owner (ahem!) of the last conventional standard gauge steam locos supplied to an Irish railway. Carlsberg don’t do Irish railways but if they did....
-
Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive
Galteemore replied to Glenderg's topic in Photos & Videos of the Prototype
Lovely - thanks as ever awr Only ever two, JHB! I suspect the plates may have gone to Courtaulds staff. The sidings site and halt at Mount were favourite spots on my school commute in the 80s, as you could still see the old gate that marked the boundary of Courtaulds/UTA trackage -
Have a look here for pics I think was the intent...
-
Really good effort here Sean - and it's clear you are finding this fun and rewarding which is critical to sticking at it! If you haven’t got this book, I’d recommend it....https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9781857801859/Modelling-Irish-Railways-Johnson-Stephen-1857801857/plp Published before much Irish RTR was available, it gives a good introduction to some simple conversions. Also search the back issues here to see what some folk have done...https://newirishlines.org/ That 6w chassis could make a nice coach too, if you wanted to cut and shut some of your 4w bodies...,.
-
Thanks Colin - that’s a very good price. Just bought one....
-
General Motors GM6 six-wheeled locomotive similar to a 121
Galteemore replied to jhb171achill's topic in General Chat
I don’t think it’s anything structural - looks like fairly light sheet metal. Could be something like a rail version of a Mansfield Bar as Rich says. My initial thought that it could be to keep the worst of the local dust and grit out. -
General Motors GM6 six-wheeled locomotive similar to a 121
Galteemore replied to jhb171achill's topic in General Chat
Looks like one of the German rail buses next to it. -
I have vague memories of Galteemore Snr commissioning replica enamel signs of a similar nature in the 80s. These were clearly parcelled and sold as such, I should add !
-
Well that’s another book on the list! If I ever get the 0-6-4T done, and want to build something else, I’m mulling over a 4-coupled yoke, which really needs some kind of compensation (I got away without it on the F6 but don’t want to chance it again!). I have one of his other books which has some useful tips on tender balancing for 4-4-0s. Sorry I can’t make it to Bray to see this gem in all its glory - thanks for letting us see her!
-
Good man yourself. Hardest part is starting out - actually cutting something up and having a go. And that’s all part of the learning process....keep it up!
-
That is just lovely. Very elegant prototype and you’ve captured the look nicely. I have found Simon Bolton’s books very good too!
-
Nice to see a bit of old school modelling! Good effort
-
David, you have really pulled the rabbit out of the hat with this one. That is truly superb. Straight out of an ‘Irish Railways in Colour’ album....
-
If you want a D19 Colin, there is an excellent set of drawings in British Railway Modelling, Jan 2006, Vol 13 No 10. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333619464015 It’s not me that’s selling it BTW!
-
-
Yes - eclectic ! Nice shot of some bread vans and a U with fine GN stock. Tell us more about the NG slip please ? B and L was my ‘local’ 3’ gauge and my father-in-law remembers its final days very well - I think the NG yard at Larne was an unofficial local playground at weekends!
-
7mm modellers tend to use 3D printing more for detail parts and accessories rather than ‘solid’ items like wagons.
-
Freelance Mixed Gauge - Handbuilt Trackwork
Galteemore replied to RichL's topic in Irish Model Layouts
I think mine is the bunscoil version for basic track work - yours is the finescale colaiste one Eoin! -
Freelance Mixed Gauge - Handbuilt Trackwork
Galteemore replied to RichL's topic in Irish Model Layouts
-
Freelance Mixed Gauge - Handbuilt Trackwork
Galteemore replied to RichL's topic in Irish Model Layouts
Thanks Rich - I was revising the post on just those grounds as you were typing! -
Freelance Mixed Gauge - Handbuilt Trackwork
Galteemore replied to RichL's topic in Irish Model Layouts
I have found the ‘cameo layout’ approach of Iain Rice helpful here. Take a small scenario and build/adapt just enough track, stock etc to fit that. Great way to start in a new scale and get a feel for it quickly. http://philsworkbench.blogspot.com/2017/01/book-review-creating-cameo-layouts-by.html?m=1 If you can face a wandering RMweb thread....https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118661-creating-cameo-layouts/ I jumped ship into 5’3” modelling last year and found this a really helpful approach. Just enough track to build to create interest without being overwhelming!
.png.c363cdf5c3fb7955cd92a55eb6dbbae0.png)