Rpsi

Rate this topic

201bhoy

Although I like the RPSI liveries. I wish they would keep at least some of the coaches like the mk2ds and the cravens in the liveries they got them in. The liveries have to be preserved too.

It's not really the RPSI's decision. IÉ basically don't want any orange coaches roaming around the network...

I have to agree with you there Richie plus its the most hateful drab livery on the network

Which of the liveries Anthony - the dark green one used on the northern based MkII set, or the awful wishy washy blue being applied to the Cravens set based in Dublin?

Also, I note that the caption to the picture in the above link states that the AC has been removed by RPSI. I presume that it has been replaced by some other form of ventilation as, without opening windows, it would get somewhat hot and stuffy inside the coach.

The wishy washy blue I don't mind as it's something different and its job is to let joe public and its customers know it's the RPSI train. It's a clean bright livery that in my opinion suits the look of the train with a steam loco on the front. As for that god awful monstrosity of a livery that's use North of the border. It drab, dirty looking, and dull and looks awful behind the RPSI steamers. I think a nice livery for the Northern coaching stock would maybe be an of take of the old NCC livery.

The Whitehead livery is based on the idea that most carriages in the twilight era of steam were dark green: the pre-'55 CIE green (albeit relieved by lighter green lines) and the UTA green 1948-66. The Whitehead set is based on UTA livery - more or less the same green, and with lining similar to, but not the same as the UTA version. The lettering on RPSI stock is also somewhat more ornate than that used by the UTA. The blue and yellow used on Cravens in the Dublin area is a new livery designed to give the Dublin set a totally new, and easily identifiable look. As Garfield says, IE are not keen (in some quarters) on any livery which might be mistaken for their ownership. So black'n'tan, while technically the only correct livery for cravens, is better avoided just at the moment. The RPSI DUblin set is, of course, in authentic 1955-62 CIE lighter green (apart from one carriage in a reddish colour with flying snails - not authentic livery).

In preservation, there is an old adage that the volunteer is the one with the paintbrush! As one who cut my teeth painting RPSI carriages in the late 70s, outdoors with no H & S, no roof, no hi-vis etc etc etc I was told that back then... though had I painted a day glo tartan livery on an NCC third, I am sure someone would have had a quiet word with me....

The RPSI DUblin set is, of course, in authentic 1955-62 CIE lighter green (apart from one carriage in a reddish colour with flying snails - not authentic livery).

There are two with reddish brown. The Bar 2421 has a reddish brown which is actually a primer and is only on one side. The coach was required for service before full repainting to green could be completed. The second is 1949, (GNRI K31) which is painted in a dark maroon.