Fintown Railway

Rate this topic

airfixfan

Went to see line today and was surprised to see Railcar 18 arrive in station on it's own. Shunter was noted in shed out of order with engine problems. Service operated with Railcar in reverse from non cab end first and then cab first on return towards Fintown. Line was quiet during our visit.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wexford70 said:

Doubt the Commission for Railway Regulation would be too pleased either.

This is true.

Small operators simply have to step up to this mark these days - as well as the RPSI and DCDR, I am aware that behind the scenes the Cavan & Leitrim have been doing a massive amount of work to deal with current legal and operational requirements. Finntown the same; if they do not, and I must stress that I am unaware of what dealings they may have had with the CRR, they will simply be shut down.

I have to say I'd love a run in it. The only time I was ever on it was months after it first opened 25 or 30 years ago, and it only went a short way then. So two more track miles to cover.

I'd better do it quickly before the thing falls to bits. Now to try to find out what days it actually opens; this has always seemed a rare mystery......

• Like 2

Railcar 18 was not in great shape yesterday

49 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I have to say I'd love a run in it. The only time I was ever on it was months after it first opened 25 or 30 years ago, and it only went a short way then. So two more track miles to cover.

I'd better do it quickly before the thing falls to bits. Now to try to find out what days it actually opens; this has always seemed a rare mystery......

At present Tuesdays till Friday plus Sundays for the time being.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what happened to their plans to run steam?

I read they had an agreement with the SPRS and even paid for some restoration work on their 1899, Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co., Works No.840. Fair Maid of Foyers.

image.jpeg.b96918a31ab41c43fd9c3b4e1f81bf1a.jpeg

"I believe it was supposed to go to Ireland but according the the SRPS website, Fintown don't yet have the infrastructure to operate a steam loco yet so its still at Bo'ness. The website also says she has undergone a major overhaul, been fitted with air brakes etc."

https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/fair-maid-of-foyers.299050/

Edited by Wexford70
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, Wexford70 said:

Does anyone know what happened to their plans to run steam?

I read they had an agreement with the SPRS and even paid for some restoration work on their 1899, Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co., Works No.840. Fair Maid of Foyers.

image.jpeg.b96918a31ab41c43fd9c3b4e1f81bf1a.jpeg

"I believe it was supposed to go to Ireland but according the the SRPS website, Fintown don't yet have the infrastructure to operate a steam loco yet so its still at Bo'ness. The website also says she has undergone a major overhaul, been fitted with air brakes etc."

https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/fair-maid-of-foyers.299050/

That thing looks more 009 than 3ft gauge!

• Like 1

Know that the story of the Narrow Gauge koco at Boness well. The steam engine was restored and even passed a boiler test about 10 years ago. When it came to paying the Bill's and arranging transport costs and creating required facilities. The response was Oh Dear how much? We cannot afford that so the loco stayed in Scotland. That is what happened to the plans for steam at Fintown whose entire rolling stock is a failed shunter plus Railcar 18 as observed a few days ago in person.

• Informative 5

I, too, did the Belgian tram (in pouring rain) just after it opened, then the railcar a short time after it arrived. Haven't been back since, but that's due to the location as you suggest; I would, however, recommend a run just to get at least one go in a genuine Donegal railcar. 

Who knows how long it will continue to run, and the ones in Derry and the Isle of Man aren't going to be carrying passengers any time soon.

From photos seen on Facebook the shunter was back in use by the weekend. In that part of the world this Thursday so will double check what they are using. The former Belgian trams were sold off along with the coach bought from Shane's Castle. Nothing left at Fintown except Railcar 18 and the shunter!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, airfixfan said:

From photos seen on Facebook the shunter was back in use by the weekend. In that part of the world this Thursday so will double check what they are using. The former Belgian trams were sold off along with the coach bought from Shane's Castle. Nothing left at Fintown except Railcar 18 and the shunter!

Coach went to Lullymore I believe 

IMG_20210801_112912.jpg

Edited by Wexford70

18 hours ago, airfixfan said:

One of the trams was sold to a local pub a few miles outside Fintown. Noted last week that the former tram had vanished and was told it had been sold for scrap!

Best place for it!

1 hour ago, Wexford70 said:

Coach went to Lullymore I believe 

IMG_20210801_112912.jpg

Was that coach at Finntown??

20 hours ago, airfixfan said:

Yes indeed that coach was at Fintown and only used once at its lunch event! Had been bought from Alan Keef for the Shane's Castle but never ran there to my knowledge. Similar to another Alan Keef coach built for and used at Dromod.

The Alan Keef carriage at Dromod was specially commissioned based on drawings by Nicky Wakeford and has little in common with the Lullymore carriage save its gauge.

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

But my question was about the one that was once on the Clonmacnoise railway - the green and yellow yoke. Was there one of those, or were there more than one - and where is it / are they now?

This / these were not at all like either the Keef one above, or the Dromod one.

There are/were two Clonmacnoise & West Offaly "trains" coaches.

The Blackwater Operation catered mainly for Coach Tours and added a second train (Coach) after several years successful operation.

The project and Blackwater Museum was set up on the initiative of redundant BNM staff in the late 80s and seems to have been financially successful. the Tourist Train Operation was shut down after the new Shannon Bridge Power Station came on line and BNM fuel peat rail operations became extremely busy.

I visited Blackwater in the early 90s both Tourist and Fuel Peat operations were busy with Milled Peat Trains queuing behind the 'passenger" line of sight operation. Interestingly Blackwater staff were proud of their operation and had visited several of the Welsh Narrow Gauge Lines while planning the West Offaly operation.

By contrast I was the only passenger when I visited the Bellacorick railway and staff not exactly enthusiastic. The rolling stock at Bellacorick was more interesting from an enthusiasts perspective, the passenger portion of an ex-West Clare diesel railcar and a unique BNM rebuild of a RH diesel, but less attractive to the casual visitor or Coach Tour participant.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, airfixfan said:

Follow up visit to Fintown found that despite stating line was open today. Place deserted and all rolling stock still left now locked up. Staff appeared to be there but were pretending to be a famous H G Wells character!

Can I ask what the story is with the constant criticism of Fintown?

• Like 2