0 Gauge Irish Kit Maker

Rate this question

Corusman

Question

I have a 0 gauge loco I bought as a kit in the 1980s at Telford. The maker was an Irish gentleman who cut the loco parts out of tinplate.

can anyone remember his name. He mostly did English locos but had this Irish 0-6-0 on his stand at an unresistable price.

Any idea what the prototype was?

Bill

Elim

• Like 4

11 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Corusman said:

I have a 0 gauge loco I bought as a kit in the 1980s at Telford. The maker was an Irish gentleman who cut the loco parts out of tinplate.

can anyone remember his name. He mostly did English locos but had this Irish 0-6-0 on his stand at an unresistable price.

Bill

Elim

MGWR J26. One of the most versitile locos in Ireland. And one I intend to eventually make in 00 gauge 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Corusman said:

Bill

Elim

Ciaran Mc Gowan of Leinster Models .

MGWR J26 or the Bat .

• Like 1

Suspect that a Leinster kit that has been breathed on by Eoin will be a bit special.

Also noticeable how complete the kit shown was, including chimney dome and other bits. They real!y were good value if you were prepared to put the work in and back in the day, that was indeed what we had to do, learning a lot in the process.

• Like 4

The last of them ended up in Suffolk, in the hands of a one-off character called Peter Hunt, former proprietor of an infamous model shop - Chuffs, later reincarnated as Perfect Miniatures. His adverts in the gauge O Guild were absolute classics of British humour. A sample is below.

I bought some books and card kits when he closed up, but up until a few years ago he was still offering Bats - this ad is from 2018. Long gone now - I’d have bought them if I’d had more sense. He actually came to my house with the stuff and was a most entertaining chap. 

As Mr H says, an ideal model both as it stood and as a vehicle for detailing. Thankfully Roger Crombleholme still offers a reasonably priced version of the E/J26.

776689B4-3C16-43B8-8D8B-AD1915BEFEB9.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2