Proposing Twitter Hashtag #tmrgire for Irish Railway Modelling

Rate this topic

Adrian

Hey folks,

I'd be interested in opinions on this. Having used Twitter since I started back into modelling I've noticed there is a vibrant UK community which uses the hashtag #tmrguk - it makes it very simple to filter out all the noise and just get railway modelling tweets. There is also one for #tmrgusa which was started recently. 

I've searched for an Irish equivalent but there doesn't seem to be any? (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

If there's none, then I'm proposing that we (as in the Irish Railway Modelling Community) could start using #tmrgire (it's case insensitive so #TMRGIRE would work as well, it would stand for The Model Railway Group Ireland) for any Irish Railway tweets - this would help Twitter users to find railway modelling tweets specific for Irish Railways. You can also put the hashtag in your display name. I'm gonna start using it anyway and hopefully others will join :)

For anyone concerned with duplicating content I find Twitter very good for small day to day stuff, posting quick pics of minor work and getting feedback - and the forum here is much better for longer form discussions as well as major layout updates etc. 

There's no onus on anyone! I'm gonna do it anyway so just posting here to spread the word. @Irish Railway Modeller you could also start using it when you Tweet if you like ;)

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Dempsey said:

This could also be done on Instagram for those who us it as hashtags can be applied to posts 

Definitely! Something to tie us all together as a community. 

The reason I was suggesting this is that when I started back into modelling about 18 months ago, I saw so much activity on Twitter for UK modellers and thought it was great - I was looking for an Irish community on there and just couldn't find it, so I honestly thought we weren't as active. I then got put onto this forum by another member and was surprised and delighted to find a whole thriving Irish modelling community on here to take part in. And you were all so welcoming as well. 

So it got me thinking about how many other Irish / Irish-themed modellers could be out there not knowing about the forum and if we simply used a hashtag like #tmrgire on Twitter it might help attract them.

Anyhoo, rambling over ;)

Love this by the way :)

678853452_ProposingTwitterHashtagtmrgireforIrishRailwayModelling-GeneralChat-IrishRailwayModeller2022-02-1700-20-05.jpg.9f9a653a5888ac2c56d82386ed185213.jpg

• Like 1

On 17/2/2022 at 1:39 PM, WRENNEIRE said:

Christian Brothers in Cabra didnt teach Twitter or Instagram, now if anyone wants to talk in Latin.........

I spent five years learning Latin at St. Malachys College in Belfast... I subsequently then never then met anyone who understood me, so after ten years I reverted to speaking English... I then visited my local hospital today and realized I should have studied Dutch... The Double version!!!

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

Instagramus et Twitterus sunt labor diaboli.

David - nemo te ducere audeat!

Steve - Drew Donaldson te maxime laudet.

I'll leave Galteemore to reply in Classical Greek!

Pax vobiscum.

A bowl of labor diaboli is quite nice in some Italian places but if it's not cooked properly it can give you a very nasty dose of pax vobiscum. I hear it causes nasty side-effects and unpleasant secretions.

• Funny 4

9 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Instagramus et Twitterus sunt labor diaboli.

David - nemo te ducere audeat!

Steve - Drew Donaldson te maxime laudet.

I'll leave Galteemore to reply in Classical Greek!

Pax vobiscum.

Valete

Leslie

This is about as much Greek as I have left Leslie …it’s not an insult Btw just the the first Irish loco with a Greek name I could find!

Class P - 83 NARCISSUS - Park GNR(I) 4-4-0 - built 1892 by  Beyer Peacock & Co., Works No.3456 - 1931 rebuilt to Class Ps, to GNR No.27 - 1957 withdrawn.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 1

3 hours ago, Galteemore said:

This is about as much Greek as I have left Leslie …it’s not an insult Btw just the the first Irish loco with a Greek name I could find!

Class P - 83 NARCISSUS - Park GNR(I) 4-4-0 - built 1892 by  Beyer Peacock & Co., Works No.3456 - 1931 rebuilt to Class Ps, to GNR No.27 - 1957 withdrawn.

A much more sensible thing!

As one who also had this ridiculous medieval claptrap rammed down my throat in school, I saw it at the time as light years beyond crass, and utterly useless; in some cases, a 12-year-old me guessed, just clung onto by some schools to try to prove something very outdated.

Throughout adult life, I tended not to alter that thinking - till now! A discussion on Latin produces a very nice image of a steam loco……and a nice GNR one at that!

RESULT! 😃😀😆👍👍👍  

• Like 2
  • Funny 1