Online book shop WOB

Rate this topic

Colin R

Hi all having trouble finding that one book on line? Then try World of Books or https://www.wob.com/en-gb

I am not the owner of this site or have anything to do with them, except I am a very happy buyer of books from them, so far I have not had any issues so I can give them 100% support have a look and see what they have they are cheaper than Amazon.

Colin Rainsbury  

Edited by Colin R
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, spudfan said:

I have never bought anything from AMAZON.

Sorry, this is off-thread, but don't start me about Amazon!!! For anybody who is unaware, Amazon have no contact telephone number. Any communication has to be "online" and that means opening an account with them. In my case I discovered recently that Amazon were taking some form of monthly subscription from my wife's CREDIT card. She has suffered a stroke and is unable to communicate clearly. Unable to find out through her what this payment was for, I tried to contact Amazon. "Enter your e-mail and password". I have no idea what her Amazon password is. Contacted the bank, who are unable to cancel the payment. However the lady at the bank said she had dealt with similar problems people had with Amazon and suggested the best option was to simply close the account, which I have done. F**k Amazon. Just like Spudfan I will NEVER buy anything from Amazon... Rant over, feeling better now...

• Like 6

You have more important things in life to be worried about than trying to deal with AMAZON. Sometimes it is the "little" things like this AMAZON situation that can build and make it harder to deal with other more important issues, such as your wife's illness. Fair enough it is only an AMAZON bill and trying to sort it someone would say, but they do not understand that given enough little things of a negative nature they can build and be a tipping point when you are trying to deal with something more serious, like your dear wife's condition. Regards to you and your wife and hopefully you will be able to navigate the road ahead without any more similar distractions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Spudfan and Lambeg Man; I could not agree more.

On principle, even without such experiences as above, I would rather do without something than order it from this parasitic, blood-sucking company.

I never pass by any opportunity to put people off making Bezos and his revolting ilk any richer. He should be taxed at 99.999%.

That's MY rant over.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Lambeg man said:

Sorry, this is off-thread, but don't start me about Amazon!!! For anybody who is unaware, Amazon have no contact telephone number. Any communication has to be "online" and that means opening an account with them. In my case I discovered recently that Amazon were taking some form of monthly subscription from my wife's CREDIT card. She has suffered a stroke and is unable to communicate clearly. Unable to find out through her what this payment was for, I tried to contact Amazon. "Enter your e-mail and password". I have no idea what her Amazon password is. Contacted the bank, who are unable to cancel the payment. However the lady at the bank said she had dealt with similar problems people had with Amazon and suggested the best option was to simply close the account, which I have done. F**k Amazon. Just like Spudfan I will NEVER buy anything from Amazon... Rant over, feeling better now...

Hi Lambeg.

I think I know what that payment was for, they con people into taking out an Amazon prime account thinking they will get books etc a bit cheaper, what they don't say is they don't make it easy to cancel the account, as you have found out, I guess your good lady kept it going thinking she was doing every one a favour.

Amazon work on the basis of people being lazy or not understanding how to close an account down, I too have had issues with them in the past over an account I had with them, even now I still get text messages and emails saying what great opportunities I am missing out on............. right like I need a hole in my head Amazon.

I just use them now to find books or something I want and once I have the details, I just go look on the Web, I have found so many times stuff I want a lot cheaper than on Amazon.

Just a note to all if you are stuck with an unwanted Amazon account, you can stop payments to them on your home Amazon page, its a bit fiddly but once you have done it, you don't have to pay them to just look at the c**p they try to sell you, also it is a good idea to let the other half know the details just in case. It is sometimes worth the grief you get from them to know they are not going to get rip off in the future.

Colin         

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

World of Books is just up the road from me in Goring by Sea.  I have used them many times, usually through the Abebooks second hand book website, which I would also highly recommend.

Cheers

Darius

Indeed, Darius, and I often tread this path too. It nicely illustrates, however, the complexity of all this. ABE books is owned by Amazon….it’s hard to completely avoid funding recreational space travel no matter how hard one tries ;) 

To throw in just one supplier I use, Grosmont Books in Yorkshire has a big railway selection and worth a look- it’s genuinely independent too!

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1
  • Informative 3

3 hours ago, Galteemore said:

They own it too. Took over ABE in 2008.

Gawd, it's like "Milo Enterprises" in 'CATCH 22'!!! How long before I reach for a piece of toilet paper and see the Amazon logo on it? My wife and I are greatly cheered by the supportive messages. Thanks guys. LM

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 6 months later...