Russian Locomotive

Rate this topic

Ye lads they are beasts alright, great sounds - wonder if they are reliable? - they look a bit dated but there is one clip on the tube of a single loco, guess its a D.E. and its pulling a very long heavy train. Some of the classes were huge with over 1,000 locos built. I think the Russian's built for the whole of the Eastern Bloc but the Czech's also built fleets for the former USSR and Eastern Europe. Think the Russians have begun to build some HS lines and using German ICE technology for that.

Ye lads they are beasts alright, great sounds - wonder if they are reliable? - they look a bit dated but there is one clip on the tube of a single loco, guess its a D.E. and its pulling a very long heavy train. Some of the classes were huge with over 1,000 locos built. I think the Russian's built for the whole of the Eastern Bloc but the Czech's also built fleets for the former USSR and Eastern Europe. Think the Russians have begun to build some HS lines and using German ICE technology for that.

I am not sure if it was more to do with the Soviet version of jobs for the boys or the planned economy, each state or region seems to have gotten its own major heavy industry.

Apparently East Germany got the monopoly of producing model railways for the entire Soviet Block.

Tito in Ugoslavia was a bit of an irritant to Stalin assembling GM locos in Belgard and exporting Model Power trains from Slovenia

Faur in Roumania seems to have been a significant builder licensed to build Sulzer & Maybach products and held the Voith license including over 1000 locos with a Sulzer 6LDA power unit similar to our B Class and the BR Type 2 family. http://www.derbysulzers.com/faur125.html

Although their most famous export was the BR Class 56 a consortium of WHR members imported 3 Roumanian built Maybach engined 350hp LDY2 Polish narrow gauge locos into the UK for potential use in Wales.

While the Roumanian built Class 56 had a reputation of poor build quality and reliability, the Polish diesels have stood up very well to long term storage and intermittant use.

Although Faur could find no record of supplying the locos to the UK :D. the factory in Roumania has supplied like replacement cylinder liners and radiator elements of the correct pattern without difficulty.

• 4 weeks later...

Theres many Russian built locomotives knocking around Latvia and Lithuania to this day. Both Diesel and Electric. The noise of them is simply tremendous. They are powerful beasts!

In Lithuania they started upgrading a couple of years ago, taking some of these out of service on some of the lines I went on, which was a shame, as I really enjoyed them. Latvia has only just begun its latest round of modernisation (due to issues between the government, unions, two loco manufacturers and the EU!) and I think this will see many more of these Russian locomotives being taken out of service or sent to work elsewhere on secondary duties or just freight.

In Russia they are notoriously overburdended and overworked, as you will evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trKF55sy6EI

Often resulting in: